TheBanyanTree: The Day Before Yesterday . . .

Roger Pye pyewood at pcug.org.au
Thu Mar 1 13:52:31 PST 2007

11pm Tuesday

MAJESTIC. . .   STATELY . . .  STUPENDOUS . . .  BEAUTIFUL . . .

The superlatives failed to describe what I was seeing as I stood in our
back garden, awestruck, gazing at the immense cloud proceeding steadily
soundlessly eastwards. Shot through and through with continuous
lightning flashes, the cloud was a rippling translucent white in an
otherwise totally dark sky.

 From late afternoon we had been troubled by thunderstorms coming from
behind us to the west and skirting around to dump rain on southern
Canberra. All too often that had been happening in recent weeks,
rainfall concentrating on those areas with us catching just a few
millimetres. The thoughts drifted through my mind interspersed with a
search of my memory for sights I had experienced akin to this one.

There was nothing comparable!

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%
8.45am Wednesday

The mobile phone on my desk sounded off; I groped for it amidst the
usual clutter of papers, folders and bits and pieces,  glanced at the
number calling - it was Robin.

"You are not going to believe this," she said. "I am in O'Connor, stuck
in traffic. I have been here for I don't know how long. Nobody seems to
be going anywhere. I can see the entrance to the university but it's
closed off, barricaded. And there's ice, piles of it, everywhere, on
roofs, gardens, the sides of the roads. And leaves! Every tree in the
city must have lost its leaves. When I get to uni I'll let you know."

O'Connor? 10 kms away. It had taken her 45 minutes to drive there. What
was she doing there, it was the wrong side of the main road which passes
the ANU. And ice - what was she talking about? Ice we don't get, just a
little snow in the depths of winter. The beautiful cloud, I thought, it
had to be the cloud.

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%
10am

"I'm outside the Environment Centre, I though I'd better check to see if
it's still here, if I still have a place to manage. I haven't been
inside yet, I'm standing on a thick layer of ice on the ramp. There's
ice everywhere, lots of it, and bulldozers and bobcats clearing the
streets. The university is closed for the day, probably the rest of the
week, I can't get to my office at the faculty, there's water damage from
collapsing ceilings. This place looks all right but the ANU Co-op next
door has lost the ceiling over its cool room. Okay, I'm going inside the
Centre now."

I sat, waiting impatiently. We were scheduled to move next week from
this building to another on the other side of the campus and had been
packing and sorting and cleaning out records and stuff for several
weeks. The Centre held a valuable and unique 6,000 item environmental
print library. I shuddered at the thought of the damage if the roof had
given way, the roof of a wooden-walled building erected as temporary
accommodation during World War II.

"Okay, it doesn't look bad. Part of the ceiling in my office is bulging
downwards, you'd better bring a tarp in when you come. There's water
pouring through the kitchen ceiling but it's not a problem yet. The
carpet in the main area is damp in places but it looks like the
Collection has come through unscathed. God knows what the archival area
in the rest of the building is like, there's no power here and I'm not
going inside in the dark!"

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

The supercell storm dumped an almost even layer of hail one metre deep
all over the centre of the city and covered it with leaves off the trees
for which autumn had come very early and very swiftly.  By midnight the
night before most of the roads had been blocked. 70 buildings at the ANU
alone were damaged, many severely, so one may imagine what the rest of
the central building district and surrounding dwellings were like.

Most of the ice has gone now and things are back to normal - almost. The
Centre is still moving but I'm not sure when. The transportable we're
going to occupy came through without a scratch. It's just a question of
time - people - and availability of help.

And also - I can't get that majestic stately stupendously beautiful
cloud out of my mind.

roger