TheBanyanTree: Life Stories 166

Tobie Shapiro tobie at shpilchas.net
Thu Mar 1 07:59:30 PST 2007

March 1, 2000000007

Dear Spring Chickens,

	It is March now.  I had a hard time
transitioning from February.  I typed February
and had to go back, erase it, and consciously
spell out M A R C H.  March is the month of many
birthdays.  Feyna and Meyshe will be twenty on
the thirteenth.  My mother will be eighty seven
on the twenty second.  My step son, Ben, will be
thirty two on the twenty fifth.  There used to be
the additional wedding anniversary for my parents
on the nineteenth.  That's a lot of parties and a
lot of presents.  I want to do something special
for Meyshe and Feyna this year, its being their
twentieth.  They will no longer be teenagers.  In
ten years, they will be thirty.  What to get
them?  A promise was made to them when they were
quite little.  If they refrained from smoking
until their twentieth birthdays, they would be
rewarded with five hundred dollars.  We thought
about offering one hundred dollars, but even back
then, that sounded too inconsequential.  Not
smoking is big.  If you make it to your twentieth
birthday not smoking, chances are better that you
won't start.  If I could afford the thousand
dollars, that would certainly be a big present.
But that was promised to them anyway, and I
should get them a present in addition.  Okay.
Someone tell me what to do.  Something momentous.
A vacation with Mom to Point Reyes for a couple
of days.  A ride in a hot air balloon.  A train
ride to Los Angeles and then go to Disneyland
(they're too old for it).  A train ride to
Seattle and visit their cousin Ari, his partner,
Laura and their little one year old, Lumen.  I
could give them a choice.  I could give Meyshe a
Tibetan Tanka, and Feyna a hundred dollar gift
certificate at Amoeba Music.  Something more
personal for Feyna.  A dressing for the blisters
she got walking from the BART station to the job
training session yesterday.  That's personal.
They gave everyone in the training class an
assignment.  They were to come up with two
hundred names of people they could make a
presentation to about the knives and other
cutlery that the company manufactures in New
York.  This is top of the line stuff.  A scissors
that comes apart and can go in the dishwasher.
Handcrafted knives.  Two hundred!?  Who can spare
losing two hundred friends?  I thought the
company was going to supply the customers.  This
sounds fishy.

	What to get them for their birthdays?  A
cake, my special way of making salmon.  Beets,
rutabagas and carrots grated coarsely and sauteed
in butter and coriander.  Or matzoball soup?
Cheese bread.  There's the dinner suggestions,
but I still have to get them presents.  Someone
help me.

                            ‡‡‡ç‡‡‡ç‡‡‡ç‡‡‡ç‡‡‡ç‡‡‡ç‡‡‡ç‡‡‡ç‡‡‡ç‡‡‡ç‡‡‡
                            ‡‡‡ç‡‡‡ç‡‡‡ç‡‡‡ç‡‡‡ç‡‡‡ç‡‡‡ç‡‡‡ç‡‡‡ç‡‡‡ç‡‡‡

¢¢¢¢¢¢¢¢¢¢¢¢¢¢¢¢¢¢¢¢¢¢¢¢¢¢¢¢¢¢¢¢¢¢¢¢¢¢¢¢¢¢¢¢¢¢¢¢¢¢¢¢¢¢¢¢¢

The legend of Chalfont-Haddon Hall

	During my late teens and early twenties,
whenever LABINDUSTRIES went to the FASEB
(Federated American Societies for Experimental
Biology) conventions in Atlantic City, I came
along.  My job was to stand in the booth
demonstrating the instruments and taking names
for the mailing list, handing out brochures,
explaining why our products were the best and the
cheapest on the market.  Actually, that was true.
And I felt confident in saying so.

	One of the things that was a plus at the
FASEB conventions was that the exhibitors and
registered attendees organized chamber music
gatherings.  There were quite a few very good
musicians among the 17,000 attendees and
exhibitors.  Everyone brought their instruments
and sheet music, signed in beforehand and got the
mailing instructing them where to meet and when.
My father would bring his violin, and I brought
my cello.  Travelling with a violin was easy.  He
just brought it on board and stashed it under his
seat.  But travelling with a cello was another
story all together.  My cello case was an old
beat up, bent plywood construction with many
latches and a lock.  It was cumbersome and heavy,
probably well over twenty pounds.  To carry it by
the handle became prohibitive for any distance.
The hand would start aching pretty soon, and it
completely altered my gait, having to counter
balance the weight on the other side by leaning
over, trying to prevent the big wooden box from
slamming into my hip with every step.  So my
father bought a simple dolly, one that you might
use to cart a few boxes.  I threaded it with
bungee cords and strapped the cello to it.  Then
I could just drag the cello behind me.  It was a
lot easier, and probably saved my right arm from
being permanently damaged hoisting that cockeyed
heavy thing everywhere I went.  But then the
dolly added weight and volume to the entire
package, and this was not good when it came to
travelling in an airplane with it.  It was a
sturdy case, but required me to request that they
hand carry it into  storage, and prevent it from
freezing by putting it in a pressurized area.

	I'd get up to the head of the line at the
ticket counter and present my I.D. and tickets.
Then they'd stare down their noses at this huge
hulking instrument and ask if I'd bought a seat
for my trombone.  Sometimes they insisted that I
had to buy a seat for it, sometimes half a fare,
sometimes whole fare, so that it could sit in the
cabin with me.  Well, this would not be a total
loss.  I could have my cello sit next to me and
it would get its own meal, its own call button,
its own blanket and pillow.  That's just as you
would expect it to work if you were sane.  But
the airlines who wrote the rules were not sane.
First, you'd be forced to buy it a seat, then
they'd tell you it couldn't sit next to you.  It
would have to go in storage below deck.  Why buy
a ticket for it, then?  And there were times when
it was the insurance that was the major issue.

	"You want to insure that?"

	"Yes.  For twelve thousand dollars."

	"Sorry, we can't do that.  Too much."

	Eventually, I thought I had it down.  I
would not mention that it was a musical
instrument at all.  I'd just say,  "This needs to
be hand carried on and off the plane.  It needs
to be in a pressurized cabin."  Then they'd call
their hand carrier and have him (always him)
wheel it away into the invisible guts of the
airport.  I'd sit at my seat on the window and
watch for the cello to be hand carried onto the
plane.  Sometimes I did catch a glimpse of the
effort.  I never caught them tossing it or
crushing it under other baggage.  And it never
arrived broken or dented.  There were a few times
that it came up the ramp at the baggage claim and
slid down the carousel, where I rushed the other
passengers to grab it off the round-about and
inspect it right there on the spot.  And there
was some complication if they found out it was a
cello and thought I was a professional performer.
There must have been a whole other rule book for
that.  There was a surprise waiting for me every
time I presented us at the ticket counter.  I
never could predict what set of rules the
employee of the hour went by.

	We stayed in Chalfonte-Haddon Hall, one
of the grand old hotels on the boardwalk.  It had
a hundred meeting rooms available for use, that
the organizers of the chamber music contingent
must have arranged, and even an auditorium with a
stage and piano.  That would be the place
everyone would assemble with their instruments
and sheet music the first night of the
convention.  It would be the intellectual set: a
lot of natty tweed jackets, sweaters and corduroy
pants.  There were musicians of every instrument
and every level of accomplishment.

	When I was nineteen, I remember showing
up for that first night where we essentially
chose up sides, and straining my eyes to see what
instrumentation was available for the music I'd
brought along.  I stood there with my cello case,
resting my arms on its head and surveyed the
room.  I saw a clarinettist warming up his reed,
and a person standing next to him was a pianist.
They had come together.

	I shouted out, "The Brahms A minor Clarinet trio!"

	And both of them lit up with happy grins.
I dragged my cello over to them.  We shook hands
and introduced ourselves.  We claimed the piano
in the grand hall.  We set up, grabbed chairs,
opened up our music stands and started going
through our sheet music.  After considerable
rummaging, we had to admit that none of us had
the piece with us.  We stared at each other with
disbelief and disappointment.  The Brahms A minor
clarinet trio is absolutely beautiful.  That's
what we wanted to play.  It starts with a cello
solo, no accompaniment, just a lone cello singing
a soaring and falling melody that haunts the
soul.  And that's what I did, then.  I just
started playing from memory.  I closed my eyes,
put the part in front of me and read it.  When it
was time, the piano and the clarinet came in with
their parts.  We played the entire piece from
memory, with a little prompting in places.  When
it was finished, we were triumphant, ecstatic,
heady with the voluptuousness of one of Brahms'
last chamber works, opus 114.  We congratulated
each other on our accomplishment and dug into the
sheet music we'd brought to find more things we
could play.  We were a team for the rest of the
convention.  It became a legend in the FASEB
chamber music evenings: the three musicians who'd
never set eyes on each other before that night,
who played the Brahms A minor trio by heart,
because they'd all forgotten the sheet music.

--

Tobie Helene Shapiro
Berkeley, California   USA

tobie at shpilchas.net