TheBanyanTree: There is hope for the human race

Roger Pye pyewood at pcug.org.au
Thu Jun 14 06:26:53 PDT 2007

Some years ago when I was very active in environmental care in NSW and
drove about 30,000 kms a year as a result I was driving from Canberra to
a meeting in Batemans Bay about 200 kms away, two hours by direct route,
but more than double the kms and time if one had to take the long way
round through Cooma as I did that day. Going down Brown Mountain which
lies between Cooma and the coast the road is twisty and has a number of
hairpin bends. I was going down there quite quickly, not dangerously so
but still pretty quick, when I rounded one of these tight bends to be
faced by Father Wild Duck crossing the road followed by six baby ducks
and Mother Wild Duck bringing up the rear. I braked for them to pass
then I pulled over into a layby and watched them waddle away into the
trees which bordered the road. Not fast, not slow, just comfortable,
steady and sure in the knowledge they would reach their destination safely.

We can learn a lot from ducks, cranes and other creatures. I thought
about those ducks a lot as I drove leisurely down the mountain and I
haven't hurried to a meeting since.

roger