TheBanyanTree: There is hope for the human race

NancyIee at aol.com NancyIee at aol.com
Wed Jun 13 17:29:15 PDT 2007

I was driving in a hurry across town. I had a limited time to run a  few
necessary errands before going to a meeting. Traffic was horrendous, and I  missed
EVERY red light. I, and a couple hundred other drivers were in a hurry. I
checked the time, checked the traffic, swore at yet another red light.   Four
lanes of traffic in both directions, and it was crawling.
I was nearing another jammed intersection, people running through the
yellow, jamming up those edging out in anticipation of green.  On the  boulevard, I
caught a glimpse of a trio of tall and stately Sandhill Cranes. Mom  and Pop
and a fuzzy baby, not long out of the egg.
They were waiting to cross.
Waiting to cross?  Impatient drivers in all eight lanes . .what were  those
birds thinking?
Pop stepped off the curb.
The world stood still.
Mom crane followed Pop, and the baby hurried after.  No one honked, no  one
edged forward, wishing to hurry, Looking neither to left nor right, Pop led
his little family across eight lanes of frozen traffic.
Not until all wee safe on the opposite boulevard grass, did vehicles start
moving.
In another few seconds, the mayhem continued.
The cranes paraded calmly toward the inviting expanse of the golf course
there.
I was really late for my meeting.
I did not even care.

NancyLee