TheBanyanTree: Another one of my experiments

Laura wolfljsh at gmail.com
Tue Jun 26 09:27:05 PDT 2007

A couple weeks ago, I was scouting around the kitchen, looking for something to cook for
dinner. There wasn't much there, because I had been putting off the grocery run for several
days.

I found:

4 slices pre-cooked bacon
two bags of fresh baby spinach that I had gotten for salads but never fixed
garlic (of course)
a couple of "vine ripened" tomatoes that I had gotten to make BLTs with but they were NOT
what I would consider "ripe"
a jar of sun-dried tomato pesto
a package of cheese tortellini

I figured I could do something with all of that.

So, I put the bacon in a skillet over medium heat, and crisped it. I removed it from the pan,
and tossed two chopped tomatoes and the chopped garlic into the bacon grease. I sprinkled
in a little salt, and stirred it all around until the moisture started coming out of the tomatoes.
Then I dumped in the spinach, and tossed it until it was wilted and hot all the way through. A
little more salt, and then the whole jar of tomato pesto went in. I stirred that up so
everything was all mixed together. The bacon got crumbled up and sprinkled on top.

I cooked the tortellini, and dumped the sauce on top. YUM!!

Today I've made a variation on the same thing, using chopped frozen spinach instead of
fresh, because that's what I had. I also got a handful of basil leaves to garnish with. Today's
tortellini is not cheese, but chicken and proscuitto.

You veggie types could easily leave the bacon out and use olive oil to sautee the garlic and
tomatoes.

My goodness, it's good!!

--
Laura