TheBanyanTree: Jumping Off The Mower

NancyIee at aol.com NancyIee at aol.com
Sun Jun 17 15:51:11 PDT 2007

Since I have five acres to mow, and since it looked like rain today, I wanted
 to mow as much, as fast as I could until rainfall.
I have a John Deere rider, and it's sometimes hard to start.  We have  had
mighty rains a week or so ago, so the grass was tall enough to bail for  hay.  I
started slow to get through the thickest stuff, and carve my way  around
trees, the pool cage, the hose I forgot to pick up, and the picnic  table and
benches. I don't get off to move them, since the mower shuts off when  my fanny
leaves the seat.  I just charge on, coming as close as I can.
I aimed to mow one tankful of gas, or rainfall, whichever came first.  I  did
the driveway, the front, the patch of nrush near the orange grove, and the
low spot that always has deep grass. I whipped around the rose bushes, and
ducked under tree branches. I am always aware which way the grass bits blow,
since I don't want stuff in the pool or left in the driveway.
I was just cutting around the two little fig trees when I felt the first
drops. I would have mowed a bit longer, but thunder and lightning came, and I
didn't think it wise to mow under lightning.
I pulled up next to the garage and got ready.  One-two-three . .I  coicked
the mower off and leaped from the seat in one smooth motion. I got ten  feet or
so from the machine before. .  KAPOW!!
See, the mower, when it's shut down, waits a second, then backfires.
There was another in my past that, when shut off, would wait, then backfire.
. and catch fire.  This one hasn't done the fire thing, but I am taking no
chances.
I really need to get it tuned up. lol.
NancyLee