TheBanyanTree: Life Stories 225

Tobie Shapiro tobie at shpilchas.net
Fri Jun 8 09:21:02 PDT 2007

June 8, 2000000000000000007

Dear Long Lost Forest,

	This has been quite a gap since I last
wrote in.  I can't even remember if I told you
all that Feyna came home from the hospital a
couple of Tuesdays ago, the 29th of May.  She
said she felt strong.  We gave her a few days to
ease back into life, and then we went to pick up
Mint at the vet, be instructed on how to give her
the anti-nauseant shots, and take over her care
again.  When we got to the vet, she talked to us
and told us that she wasn't going to teach us how
to give Mint shots.  Mint was too wild, and we'd
get clawed to death.  This was actually good
news, because it meant that she was gaining some
strength and spirit.  In fact, since we'd dropped
her off the Wednesday that we brought Feyna to
the hospital, Mint had greatly improved.  She'd
kept all her food down, they'd increased the
amount of food they were putting through the
feeding tube, and she had started to take an
interest in eating kibble on her own again.  She
had gained a few ounces.  This was such a relief
that we both sighed and got teary.  I really
thought Mint wouldn't make it.  She was just so
sick.  But it looks like this cat will survive!

	Directly following Feyna's return from
the hospital, she took up communications with a
fellow on Match.com, someone she'd exchanged
e-mails with before her incarceration.  They
progressed to talking on the phone,        for
hours and hours.  Then, they had a date on Friday
(a week ago).  They went to dinner and a movie.
He is very sweet to her.  And affectionate.
Considerate.  Sensitive even.  They hit it off,
and now she has a boyfriend.  He's smitten with
her.  She's needed this for a long time.  A long
time.  Since she split up with her first
boyfriend when she was 15.  Maybe this will put a
dent in Alex!  I can only hope.

                                   å¦å¦å¦å¦å¦å¦å¦å¦å¦å¦å¦å¦å¦å¦å¦å¦å¦å

ºººººººººººººººººººººººººººººººººººººººººººººººººººººººººººººººººººººººº

Squeeze Me and Art Comes Out

	When Bernie's behaviour finally scared me
enough, I asked him to leave.  We'd been standing
in the dining room, facing each other.  In the
interest of being completely honest and open with
each other, he told me the dream he'd had.

	In front of him, standing in a row, were
all the women he'd ever known, his wives at the
front of the line.  For Bernie, I was wife number
three.  The second wife had been a television
exercize queen who had regular spots on various
news casts.  He had told me that he'd been Karen
Lustgarten's manager, and co-wrote a book with
her.  It sounded very good at the time I heard
it, but it didn't turn out to be the Lord's truth.

	Bernie and I went down to Los Angeles
because I was scheduled to appear on several talk
shows as the eccentric young handwriting analyst.
Instead of staying in a hotel, we stayed with
Karen and her significant other, Ivan Ladizinsky.
Karen and Bernie were still on good terms.  I
don't know how that happened.  After living with
Bernie and his impressive baggage for any length
of time, I would think the parting would not be
friendly.  In one of the breaks during Karen's
and Ivan's vitriolic, vengeful fights, Karen
talked to me about her marriage with Bernie.

	"My manager?  No.  He was too depressed
to do anything.  Co-creator of the book?  No.  He
did the photography.  I'd lead him to the spot,
tell him the angle I wanted and he'd take the
picture.  He was barely functional.  I put his
name on the book to make him feel better about
himself."

	Well, that cleared up a mystery.  Karen
was a red haired Amazon, tall, strong, with a big
face and big features, very glamorous.  Their
marriage had lasted three years, I think.
Bernie's first wife, the mother of his two
children, Alexis and David, was standing next to
Karen in Bernie's dream.  I keep remembering her
name as Stella, because of the association with
hollering.  When Bernie and I showed up at her
door in Los Angeles to take Alexis and David out
for a bit, she appeared in the doorway with a
formidable scowl on her face.  When it registered
who was at the door, she winced, turned to face
the inside of the house and screamed at the top
of her lungs, damaging the villi in my ears,
"ALEX!  DAVID!  Come on!  Hurry up!  Your excuse
for a father is here!"  There was no response,
which is standard for eighteen and twenty year
olds, but was more a testimony to how used to the
decibels they were.  She waited a few moments,
then opened her head and yelled, "GET THE HELL IN
HERE!  RIGHT NOW, OR I'LL KILL YOU!"

	There were rumblings from the back of the
house.  Eventually, both Alexis and David
wandered indolently into the living room,
stopping to adjust shoes or pick up some
distracting object.

	"When are you going to bring them back?" Stella barked.

	"Couple hours," Bernie murmured.

	This woman had him scraping and shaking.
The kids stumbled out onto the porch and Stella
slammed the door fiercely.  I hadn't gotten
introduced, not as Tobie, not as, "my wife,"
nothing.  Stella had taken one look at me and
sneered, "Lucky you".  That was our entire
communication.

	The kids piled into the car.  David kept
quiet.  Alexis, heavily made up and in flashy
fashion, said, "Mom doesn't like you.  Where're
we going?"

	Those were the two ex-wives.  And in the
dream Bernie was describing, both of them and
then I were standing at the front of the first
row of all of Bernie's females.  He continued.
He was standing, facing all of us.

	"I took out my penis and started pissing
on all of you.  The piss kept coming out of me.
I pissed on everyone, but especially you.  I
pissed on your hair, in your eyes, all over you.
You were soaked in my piss.  And I kept pissing
on you.  It never stopped coming out of me.  When
I covered you once, I pissed on you all over
again."

	I wondered why I was listening.  There
was something vaguely hostile about this dream of
his.  I interrupted him in mid stream.

	"I think I've heard about enough."

	"I'm just being honest," he insisted.

	"Your honesty has an edge to it, and it makes me mad."

	He stopped talking for a blink.  I was preparing to walk away.

	He said, "How can I live with someone that hates me?"

	"I didn't say I hated you.  I said what you were doing made me mad."

	"No, you said you hated me."

	"I didn't."  This was giving me the queazies.

	"You said you hated me.  I heard you."

	This was a little startling.  "Do you
mean that you heard me say, quote, I hate you,
unquote?"

	"Yes," he answered.

	Uh oh.  Auditory hallucinations.  I
started to back away from him.  "I didn't say
that, Bernie.  I really didn't."  He'd heard what
he'd heard.  It's just that it hadn't happened.
If he were capable of hallucinating a fabrication
of words and sounds, then his reality was more
warped than I'd believed.  Suddenly, he looked
like a crazy man to me.  A crazy man with a very
hostile dream who had a few paranoid issues about
me.  I looked around at the house we were
sharing, the mess that I'd somehow invented and
brought into my life.  My own hallucinations of
who Bernie was and what I felt for him became
real to me.  I scared myself.

	"I think you had better leave," I said.

	He put on his jacket, swiped his car keys
from the table and silently stole out the front
door.

	After Bernie's departure, I furiously
aired out the house.  I opened windows to let his
presence dissipate.  And I turned fans on to
circulate the air.  I had no idea where Bernie
went, and uncharacteristically, I didn't really
care.  Now, I was left with myself, alone with
Vogelsang, my cat.  We stared at each other.

	Now what?

	This had always been the deepest
quandary: what to do with myself and all my
expectations of me.  Now that there was no one
who'd promised to be my manager, I couldn't live
on that dream anymore.  I was aware that I'd
taken a year of my life and spent it all on self
delusion.  That was not easy to take.  I made
myself a bed on the living room floor because
there had been a moldy smell in the bedroom.  I
put down a few layers of blankets for a mattress,
put a bed sheet folded in half on top of that,
then piled a few more blankets on top of that.  I
dropped a pillow down for my head.  I placed a
stack of paper and pens at the head of the bed.
Then I got an extension cord and dragged the
little television into the living room,
positioned it near the pillow.  I tucked myself
in, turned on the T.V.  I watched late night talk
shows and bad movies.  Vogelsang crawled into the
bed with me.  She spelunked all the way to my
feet, then turned around and came back to flop
herself in my arms.  That was our nightly
routine.  Ritual helps.

	One night, I was lying there excoriating
myself for all the bright and brave things I
hadn't done, and all the stupid and cowardly
things I had done.  I pulled the pile of paper
closer to me and picked up the pen.  I drew a
naked woman, in very abbreviated simple lines,
loosely following a human form.  Her breasts were
flying in either direction, her arms and legs
were wavy parallel lines, her head tipped back,
her hair electrified, as if she'd stuck her
finger in a socket.  Her mouth was open.  I'd say
she looked distressed, frantic, overwhelmed.  I
liked the funny drawing.  It said something to
me.  That's when I added the text balloon.  She
was screaming, "The angst!  The angst! I can't
stand the angst!"  I smoothed the drawing out
flat on top of the pile and turned in for the
night.

	I woke up a few hours later and took up
the pen and paper again.  I drew a naked man,
same loose lines, standing with his head hung low
in front of him.  Next to him was a little boy in
the same pose.  They both had penises dangling
there at their crotches.  I added two text
balloons.  The father says, "I hate myself".  The
boy says, "Me, too, Dad".  I smoothed that one
out and closed my wobbly eyes.  But I didn't keep
them closed long.  I drew a nude man and woman
facing each other.  They were both saying, "Let's
meet half way".  Then the next frame showed them
both saying, "You first".  A miniature boy with a
cute round tummy balancing on a man's head.  He
is shading his eyes with one of his hands,
searching out into the distance.  The man has a
blank look on his face.  The picture showed him
from his shoulders up.  The little boy, using the
bald pate of the man as a crow's nest, announces,
"Nope.  No clearer from up here".  A pot bellied
man standing in a dignified pose, of course
completely naked.  His hands are on his hips, his
nose in the air, above the riff raff.  At his
feet is a woman bent over on her hands and knees.
She is smooching the man's feet:  Kiss kiss kiss,
smooch, smooch, smooch.  The man has his text
balloon above his head.  He proclaims, "I'm too
good for this".

	The drawings came out of me one after the
other.  There was no pause between them.  They
made me laugh and they made me wince.  I showed
them to my current paramour, the agoraphobic
artist, Glenn Watson, the one without a doorbell.
He laughed himself silly and told me these
drawings were superb.  He wanted to get me a show
at the college he worked at, out in the valley,
through the tunnels, in the searing heat and
franchise businesses.  All mall and name brands.
Shop here.  Shop for life.  But Los Medanos
College was an oasis of an educational
institution in the midst of the tracts and
billboards.  He said he wanted to get me a show
there before I got famous.  And I must say there
was more than ample time before fame found me.
Fame missed me on the way in and the way out.

	Glenn was able to convince those in
charge of the Los Medanos gallery to offer me a
show.  It was very exciting.  A hundred
characters in their states of complete
psychological nakedness, stripped of artifice,
their motivations blaring to the world.  We are
all lovers and we are all rascals.  I had several
months to get the show ready, and the material
was piling up.  I went out to the art warehouse
store and purchased a hundred high quality thick
pieces of drawing paper, in various large sizes.
I purchased soft pencils whose marks on paper
would last forever.  I went for eternal.  And I
also bought a roll of thick drawing paper that I
could use to put a mural on a wall.

	to be continued

--

Tobie Helene Shapiro