TheBanyanTree: Where'd That Water Come From?

B Drummond redd_clay at bellsouth.net
Sun Jul 8 06:37:21 PDT 2007

-

It rained last night while I slept.

It didn't wake me up but I know it rained.  How, you say?

Did I look outside and see wet streets?

Did I check my rain gauge on the deck?

Did I watch the weather segment on the morning news on TV?

Nope, nope and nay.

I knew the moment my right foot hit the first tile in the bathroom floor.
There's something about stepping into water with barefeet while you're
stumbling to the bathroom, still groggy and, for all intents and purposes
somnambulant, that, even in that odd state, one finds hard to not notice.

And I, being the semi-observant soul that I am, know the nature of the rain as
well from the puddle on the floor.

The rain would have had to had occurred suddenly, accompanied by at least 15
mph winds, and it would have had to have been at a rate of fall of at least an
inch an hour.

How do I know that?

'Cause it doesn't come into the bathroom otherwise.

Experience has proven that a slow ,steady rain does not cause the rain to
enter the house -- only a sudden, high rate of rainfall per hour rain that is
accompanied by brisk winds.

But pinning down exactly where the rain first comes in the house has been
tough so far.

It's one thing to observe it on the floor after the fact and yet another much
more difficult -- in this case at least -- to find the exact entry point into
the house.

I shall not be denied though.

Afterall, no one deserves to be so rudely interrupted on the way to answer
nature's morning call.  It just aint right to be awakened so shockingly as to
prevent the poor soul so maltreated from being able tromp back and crawl back
under the sheets for some more much-deserved Zs.

Instead, with eyes wide smack open, that poor soul starts his or her day with
that burning, vexing, mind-scrambling, daykiller of a question:

Where DID that water come from?!!!!!

bd