TheBanyanTree: Life Stories 137

Tobie Shapiro tobie at shpilchas.net
Wed Jan 31 08:06:49 PST 2007

January 31, 2000000007

Dear Tree Folks,

	I got a number of responses to Life
Stories 136, about Mark Farmer, the first gay
friend I ever had, and his miserable experience
with being closeted, as was everyone in those
days.  The stories told to me by Tree folks about
their own homosexuality, or that of their
children or siblings was so sad I cried for them.
It is by accident that I was born heterosexual,
and pretty exclusively it seems.  There have been
times when I've wished that I were gay.  I've had
such a hard time with men, as the stories reveal,
that it would have been a logical reaction.  But
there is nothing logical about it.  We don't
select our gender preferences.  We are born with
them.

	I used to joke around that the only
reason I'm not a lesbian is that I don't like to
get my hands sticky.  And that would be worth a
laugh.  But after some of the e-mail you all sent
me, I can hardly make a joke about anything.  One
person said that the experience of a single
homosexual attraction illustrated the meanness of
Man.  I see that everywhere.  Yet, I really do
think that it is our compassion and kindness that
will save our whole species if it is to be saved.
I tend that part of me, love it, encourage it.
If I could have done anything to save Mark Farmer
I would have done it.  I was far too young and
didn't know what to do other than be a friend.
If he'd just been born twenty years later in the
bay area, it would have been better for him.  I
dreampt about him last night.  We were in the art
room.  I said, "Mark!  I thought you were dead."
And he said, "I am dead.  Big deal."  That
sounded just like him.  I told him I was sorry
that I hadn't done more to ease his load.  He
said, "Uh oh," and faded into the art equipment
on the shelves.  I cursed my stupid dream before
I woke up.

                     ¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥

;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;
                        ‡‡‡‡‡‡‡‡‡‡‡‡‡‡‡‡‡‡‡‡‡‡‡‡‡‡‡‡‡‡‡‡‡‡‡‡

Twisting my neck

	I was thirteen and slow to mature.
Everyone in our family achieves physical
milestones late.  We teethe late, talk late, walk
late, reach puberty late, grow slowly.  The men
are pink cheeked and smooth until they're in
their twenties.  The women don't start
menstruating until fourteen or fifteen.  We even
die late.  At thirteen, I was still shaped like a
garlic sausage with only the first little
hardened buds of breasts, and no periods yet.  My
grandmother was worried about Tobie not, "coming
sick," yet every month.  All the other girls in
my class were blossoming and changing, wearing
brassieres and whispering together about, "I get
out of gym today; I've got the curse."  The
curse.  That is how I viewed my impending coming
of age.  I was scared to death.  When I started
my periods, I knew I was going to crack open
suddenly and hemorrhage, bleed all over
everything, have cramps that might kill.  This
was what I'd been warned by those who went before
me, and all the scientific explanations my mother
had ever given me, all the instructional films
shown us in sex education couldn't stand up to
the mythology of adolescence.

	There was something else I dreaded about
becoming a woman.  All around me, I saw
frustrated unfulfilled females, subservient to
their husbands who ignored or ridiculed them, or
as in my mother's case, who tortured her with his
sadistic games.  I wanted no part of that.  Here
was womanhood, steaming towards me, gaining
speed, and there was no way for me to avoid it.
I also sensed that my father's sexual fixation on
me was bad enough while I was still a cylinder.
What would happen when I got a shape:  breasts,
hips, pubic hair, all the things he told dirty
jokes about while his face turned red.  I wanted
to have a father, a real father, one who cared
about me, watched over me.  But I didn't have
that.  I had a large eight year old brother with
the atom bomb.

	Even though, physically, I was retarded,
I had the angst and insomnia of a mature
neurotic.  I had bouts where I would lie in bed
shaking, unable to sleep.  I'd tell myself
stories, try to bore myself with a book, close my
eyes and wait for sleep to overcome me, but
nothing would happen.  One night I had the shakes
and couldn't sleep.  I called my mother.  Mothers
fix things.  I told her I couldn't get to sleep,
and she advised me to calm down, gave me a few
suggestions as to how, and told me she would be
right next door in her bedroom.  I rolled over
and tried the sleepy eye doldrums.  But fifteen
minutes went by and I was still vibrating,
nervous, anxious, wide awake.  I called my mother
again.  She came in, a little less patient.
"Don't worry.  You'll be able to sleep.  It will
happen."  She went back into her room.  I'm sure
she was tired, just trying herself to get to bed
and get some rest until her morning, and here was
her middle child, getting in the way.  I lay
there for another forever, and finally called her
again.  She came in, this time visibly impatient,
maybe even annoyed.

	"I'm sorry.  I just can't sleep.  I can't help it.  I'm sorry, Mom"

	"I'll send in your father," she said.

	I was desperate.  Any parent in a storm.
He came in in his bathrobe and sat on my guest
bed.  He said, "Don't worry if you can't sleep.
Enjoy being awake."

	That didn't do it.  He sat there
expounding on why being awake was a fine thing to
do all night.  He lay down on the bed, and
reached over to hold my hand.  I let him.  We lay
there.  Eventually, I fell asleep briefly, but I
woke up suddenly.  When I woke up, my father's
arm was stretched out, and his hand was around my
nipple.  I sprang up out of bed, and ran to the
bathroom where I locked myself in and huddled in
the corner shivering.  Had he fallen asleep that
way, feeling my breast?  What else had he been
doing to me while I lay there trusting him.  I
should never trust him.  I slapped myself across
the face for having trusted him.  I should never
have let him into my room.  I hit myself on the
head until my head and my knuckles were black and
blue.  I may as well have brought it on myself.
Asleep while he was on the loose.  Stupid girl!
Idiot!  I would never trust anyone again.

	I stayed in the bathroom all night, and
in the morning when it was time for me to get
ready for school, I told my  mother through the
bathroom door that I was too sleepy to go to
school.  I've got diarrhea, I told her, when,
"too sleepy," wasn't enough.  Diarrhea did the
trick.  My parents left for work, and two hours
later, I came out of the bathroom.  I was afraid
to go into my own bedroom, because it was the
scene of a crime.  I couldn't shake the
psychological imprint of his hand on my breast.
I cringed.  I writhed.  I wept.  I shook.  I
determined that I would tell my mother when she
came home.  I had to tell her.  She had to know
what her husband was.

	When she got home I said I had to talk to
her.  I stammered.  I muttered.  I couldn't make
the words come.  She must have noticed how
difficult it was for me, and she said for me not
to worry.  I could tell her anything.  It was
safe with her.  I tried to stay sober about this.
I wanted no tears, no hyperbolic display of
emotion.  I wanted objectivity.  But there was
none.  I told her, crying, what had happened, and
she sat there, still.  I was waiting for a
reaction, but I didn't get one.

	"You can't tell Justin.  Don't tell him
what I told you!  He'll just deny it, and then
you'll believe him.  He's not going to admit it.
Please don't tell him."

	"All right," she agreed.

	There were no other words shared between us.  I didn't feel relieved.

	The next day, both my mother and father
cornered me and announced that they needed to
speak with me.  I knew what this was about.
She'd betrayed my trust.  Two in as many days.
They sat me down, and my father began, "It's
normal for a girl to fantasize about her father."

	I was dumbfounded.  This was not what had
happened.  The thought that I would fantasize
about that five foot six inch cockroach made me
squirm with a revulsion rimmed with nausea.  I
got up in the middle of my father's triumphant
lecture and tore out of there.

	"I'm telling the truth, Mom.  You said
you wouldn't tell him, and you went ahead and
told him.  And he did just what I said he'd do,
and you believed him, just like I said you would.
What if I'm telling the truth, Mom!"

	I didn't address my father.  I couldn't
look at him.  And that is how it remained for the
rest of his life.  I couldn't look at him.  I
would look at the floor, or at a distant wall, at
my hands, or out a window.  But I could never
look at him again.  You could just about announce
his arrival into a room by my looking the other
way.  This is how I cringed through life,
twisting my neck and averting my eyes.

--

Tobie Helene Shapiro
Berkeley, California   USA