TheBanyanTree: Life Stories 136

Tobie Shapiro tobie at shpilchas.net
Tue Jan 30 08:20:42 PST 2007

January 30, 200000007

Dear Folks of Tree,

	I lost my car keys, the spare set.  These
are the ones that I hand Feyna when she wants to
borrow the car.  The original set have my house
keys and some plastic membership strips attached.
They're complicated keys.  Honda.  They can't be
duplicated easily, and one of the contraptions in
the set of keys is the remote which opens the
doors and locks, unlocks the car.  Those cost
quite a bit to replace.  I'd have to bring my car
in to the parts department at the Honda
dealership that sold me my car, and it takes them
an hour to re-configure another set.  The cost is
frightening.  A couple hundred dollars for a set
of keys.  Oy!

	There was a mystery about the lost keys,
too.  I keep both sets in my coat pocket, my left
coat pocket.  And I didn't discover one was
missing until I put my hand in my pocket to
retrieve my house keys, and noticed that there
was only one set.  Hmmmm.   I looked on the
counters in the kitchen.  I looked in the
drawers.  Nothing.  This was a day that my
mother's housekeeper and her daughter came to
clean.  I wondered if they'd seen it.  My mother
was going out shopping on Sunday, after we got
back from the foraging in the vault.  The kids
brought all the stuff in, and then Feyna left the
keys on the counter.  My mother picked up the
keys by accident on her way out.  She was already
up the stairs to the garage, and shouted back
down at me, "Is it okay if I toss the keys down
the stairs?"   I thought, "No.  I'll come up and
get them."  But I said, "Sure."

	Well, I was eating lunch at that point.
The house cleaner wasn't there yet.  And I just
forgot that the keys were lying on the floor in
the laundry room, next to the back door.  I just
forgot is all.  So when I noticed that there was
only one set of keys in my pocket, later on, I
remembered that my mother had tossed the keys
down the stairs.  That's the first place I
looked, the foot of the stairs.  Nothing.   It
got a little crazy, looking in drawers and
cabinets that they couldn't possibly have wound
up.  No one remembered picking them up off the
ground.  So the logical culprit was the house
cleaner.  Maybe she or her daughter had noticed
them, picked them up and put them someplace.
Carmen likes to put things in boxes, or trays.
We checked all the decorative cups on the
windowsills.  Nothing.  So I called Carmen, left
a message saying for her to call us, gave a
rundown of the situation.  She called back almost
immediately.  Neither she nor her daughter had
seen the keys.  Yipes. So it was possible that,
indeed, she didn't see the keys but that she'd
swept them up and put them in the garbage.  So
you know what that means!  I put on the rubber
gloves and went through the trash.  Nothing.
There I was rooching through the garbage cans,
opening up plastic trash bags and sifting
through, disgusting piece of filth by disgusting
piece of filth.

	Finally, after exhaustive searches, I
gave up on the key mystery and put on my calendar
for Monday to call Concord Honda, make an
appointment to drive out there on Tuesday (that's
today) at 9:00, a.m., to have them make the keys
and charge me an arm and a leg for them.  I
determined to put the key mystery out of my mind.
But my mother kept looking under things, standing
forlornly in the laundry room, shaking her head,
thinking it through.  I was tired of the whole
idea.  I'd given up and changed my whole mind
set.  And life went by.  Last night, my mother
called me.  She'd found the keys.  They were in
the pocket of my old retired jacket in the
closet, right next to my new jacket.  They are
similar jackets, very similar, just off by a
shade of purple.  Someone, and I still can't
figure out who, put the keys in the pocket of the
old jacket instead of the pocket of my new
jacket.  I was grateful and elated.  I called the
Honda people and told them that I'd found the
keys, and I wanted them to have just about the
best day on record.  The guy laughed.  I have
saved a couple hundred dollars!  Maybe I should
blow it on something?

                                   ¼¼¼¼¼¼¼¼¼¼¼¼¼¼¼¼¼¼¼¼¼¼¼¼¼¼¼¼¼¼¼¼¼¼¼¼¼¼¼¼¼

§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§

Not coming out of the closet

	In tenth grade, I entered Berkeley High
School.  In the days when I was in tenth grade,
the Berkeley school system went by the grouping
of elementary school being kindergarten through
sixth grade, junior high school being seventh,
eighth and ninth grades, then high school was
tenth, eleventh and twelfth grades.  I think it a
much more natural way to do things than the
current arrangement which is kindergarten through
fifth grade as elementary, junior high being
sixth through eighth, and then a four year high
school.  Somehow the sixth graders seem unready
to me to be thrown in with eighth graders who are
bigger and meaner and well into puberty.  And
then ninth graders being with twelfth graders
seems ludicrous: fourteen year olds with
seventeen and eighteen year olds.  The gap is too
great.  The predator/prey ratio is lopsided.

	So tenth grade for me was the first year
of high school, and the first year in which I got
to take a variety of elective classes.  That is
to be read as: classes I liked.  I was joyous.  I
went over the class offerings.  And this was in
the days before the tax revolution in California,
when the schools were so much better funded.  It
showed, too.  Now you can take Spanish and maybe
French, not sure.  Then, there was a choice of
Spanish, French, Mandarin, German, Russian,
Latin, Greek and I think there was American Sign
Language taught.  Maybe I'm dreaming.  The music
department was an actual department with many
courses to take: music theory, music history,
orchestra, choir, band, baroque orchestra.  And
there was an art department, too.  These were the
places I hung out.  Music and Art.  They were my
homes, a safe place, somewhere I actually
belonged, where my heart was and where my talents
lay, where I was recognized by my gifts and
rewarded instead of punished for them.

	The first elective I took was an art
class.  It covered a broad spectrum of art media:
drawing, painting, assemblage, ceramics.  Every
colour was represented.  You know, I don't
remember the teacher.  Not at all.  I remember
the room, and I remember some of the students in
the class.  Most of all, I remember Mark Farmer.
He was another tenth grader.  He was tall, had
close cropped dark brown hair and very thick
eyebrows which graced his very white face in such
contrast that his eyebrows were his most
prominent feature.  He had deep dark eyes, even
if perhaps they were blue, they were deep and
dark.  He was talented.  Whatever he put his hand
to opened for him.  He loved to make art.
Everything he did was recognizably his.  It had
his signature.  We got along.  We always wound up
doing our work near each other, and we'd trade
stories, complain about breadth requirements.
Why, for instance, were we two, who were meant
for the arts, required to take math, algebra and
geometry?  Why did we have to take so many
semesters of science?  It's not that we felt we
shouldn't have to take any science at all, just
not so much.  Years and years of it: Biology,
Zoology, Chemistry.  It wasn't fair.  After all,
were the scientifically oriented required to take
several years of art and music?  It would have
been good for them.  We joked about how we didn't
fit in, and we adored our exile together.

	Mark and I were plagued by a gaggle of
girls who found our weak spots and teased us.
Grammar and correct speech was one of the topics.
So they slung slang around us, made us cringe.
"Oh, Tobie, Mark, those drawings are gems."
Believe it or not, "Gem", was slang for "cool".
"Cool" was slang for, "hip," and, "hip," was
slang for experienced, "with it".  "With it," was
slang for well informed, up to date, capable,
understanding what was going on.  They threw it
all at us.

	They also called me, "Jewgirl," and Mark,
"faggot".  These were the words that really got
to us.  "Jewgirl" was said in mean jest.  They
knew that I wore my Judaism proudly and thought
they'd undo me a little.  I was undone.  I took
it seriously.  You don't joke around about
Jewgirl to a daughter of the holocaust.  And,
"faggot," was said to cleave Mark in twain.  I
don't know whether they knew or even suspected
that he was really gay, though "gay" wasn't a
word yet.   No one was out of the closet then.
Everyone was intimidated and shamed, beaten into
pretending to be heterosexual.  He was like a Jew
in hiding.  No one should find out.  And here
were these base and crude Neanderthalish females
calling me, "Jewgirl," and him, "faggot."  They
could not have been more accurate.  Nor more
hurtful.  At that time, I was only peripherally
aware that there was such a thing as a
homosexual.  I barely comprehended what
heterosexual meant.  Sexuality was a dark and
dangerous thing, heavy with humiliation and
subjugation, associated with my father's
pathology, lethal, contorted, and distorted.  I
knew what Mark was, and we never spoke about it.
He never spoke about my being Jewish either.  But
we both accepted each other.  I would  have
selected the beautiful young men for him, if I'd
had half a concept of his situation.  Both of us
were born that way, and we had an unspoken pact
to protect each other.

	The females jeered at him, "faggot," they
taunted, as they rounded the corner of the table.
I reached out and put my hand on his hand.  We
stopped drawing.  Touching Mark didn't have the
same fear attached to it as touching another boy.
I felt safe with him.

	The teacher directed us to get out a
large piece of paper and with a number one
pencil, we were to draw a portrait of someone
else in the class.  I chose to draw a portrait of
Mark.  He drew a portrait of me.  The lines I set
down on my paper looked like Mark.  I was
surprised that so few lines could form a
likeness.  I gave the portrait to Mark.  After
that year of art class, Mark disappeared from my
life, and I disappeared into the music
department.  Our paths didn't cross.  But when we
were both seniors, with our yearbooks in hand, we
bumped into each other in the central plaza.  I
asked if he wanted to sign my Olla Podrida.  He
handed me his.  I handed him mine.  We wrote
short love notes.  I asked him if he was going to
go to college.  He said, "If I live that long."
I found out many years later that he'd killed
himself shortly after high school.  It only shone
on me at that later date what tremendous
obstacles he faced.  Much more formidable than my
obstacles being Jewish.  He was up against the
whole world.  And he couldn't have changed for
his life.

	Damn those girls in art class, and damn everyone like them.

--

Tobie Helene Shapiro
Berkeley, California   USA

tobie at shpilchas.net