TheBanyanTree: Life Stories 134

Tobie Shapiro tobie at shpilchas.net
Sun Jan 28 07:21:48 PST 2007

January 28, 200000007

Dear Youz Guise,

	This morning we go visit the vault where
all our stuff is stored.  I am paying a thousand
a month just to keep it packed away in one place.
That's how much is stored.  They charge you
coming and going.  Just to get into the vault to
retrieve some things is $170/hr. and they book a
two hour minimum.  This is so they can have three
movers on duty to help you.  The  place is 35
miles from here.  We set out early and go with
our lists of things we need to take out.  They've
got it all organized according to room and sector
of room, so we ought to be able to find things.
But I am not confident.  I have to get a good
list of things that villainman claimed as his
that wound up in storage instead of being left
behind for him.  He wants to charge me ten
thousand bucks if he doesn't get them.  I wince
at what he's become.  I wash myself of him time
and again.  Just wash the scent and spirit of him
off of my skin and out of my soul.

	Meyshe wants to get a Go set, and some of
his global music CDs.  Feyna wants her art
materials and some movies.  I want to get it over
with.

                              ¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦
                                ‘‘‘‘‘‘‘‘‘‘‘‘‘‘‘‘‘‘‘‘‘‘‘‘

Where to stay

	Right after I'd left Dweller, I provided
shelter by house sitting.  This actually worked
out well.  No one paid me for sitting house.  It
was an equal exchange.  I water your plants, keep
a light on at night, collect your mail, tidy up,
take care of the pets, and in exchange I get to
use your kitchen, sleep in your bed, park my car
in your garage.

	Some places were more ascetic than
others.  Some were student apartments that were
messes when I arrived and cleaned up considerably
when I left.  But a lot of them were places that
belonged to Harry's friends who were
astonishingly successful artists and were off to
live in Spain all summer, or vacationing in New
Zealand during our winter.  These houses were
luxurious, awe inspiring.  Tom Holland was one of
these artists.  He and his wife, Judy, had
purchased a mansion in Berkeley.  Truly a
mansion, with an eighty foot living room and a
cherry wood dance floor on the storey below it.
Huge bedrooms you could run in, and walk in
closets that were as big as some bedrooms.  When
I sat house for Tom and Judy, I was so shocked by
the elegant surroundings that I could barely live
in it.  I spent my time pacing the floors and
being careful of the woodwork.

	At the same time as I was house sitting
to keep a roof over my head, I was sluffing off
possessions, clearing my inner closet and
winnowing out the unnecessary elements of my
young life.  It was part of the clean sweep that
I was making connected to divesting myself of
Dweller and marriage.  I lived out of a suitcase,
and tried to limit my worldly goods to what I
could pack in it, plus my cello, my guitar and my
journal.  A woman of things and aesthetics, I
attempted to be thingless, a useless futile goal,
contemplated by people with delusions of
miniature.

	My name got around to friends, and
eventually, I really could get by, month by
month, watching over other people's houses while
I had no place to live myself.  My contact with
my family waned.  Another divestment.  I liked
the idea that for the first time in my life, my
whereabouts were largely unknown.  At the time,
the members of my family were distressed that I'd
broken from my husband and when they did get hold
of me, they made sure that I knew they felt I
should come to my senses and go back to him.
They wanted me doing what the rest of the family
did: staying with their husbands and wives no
matter what.  Live in hell, why don't you?  Make
your nest among the eternal flames.  It makes us
content.

	This was when my sister and my brother
joined forces to give me a kitten for my
birthday.  A purebred Burmese.  Now, where was I
going to keep this cat?  I saw the gift as a
hostile act, an act of coercion.  I would stay in
one place.  I would remain motionless.  I would
conform to the family pattern, which amounted in
my eyes to the family crypt.  They wanted my
independence and searching to be immobilized.
Here, have a kitten.  It was like giving me a
baby.  They took umbrage at my assertion that
giving me the kitten was essentially malicious.
They knew I liked cats.  What else mattered?

	I named the kitten de Kooning and tried
to take him with me wherever I went, but that was
not easy.  Cats are attached to places as well as
people, and uprooting a cat every few weeks is
cruel.  It scrambles them.  So de Kooning ran
away while I was house sitting for a college
student.  He just ran off.  Years later, I found
him on the other side of the same block.  I knew
it was he because he was lying in the middle of
the sidewalk, unperturbed by foot traffic, and
when I kneeled by him, I put him to the test.  I
took out a bunch of pencils and pens from my
purse.  I started to place them on his pelt, a
pen on his head, a pencil on his belly, a couple
of pens on his rump, a pencil on his tail.  He
just lay there accepting these things, blinking
his eyes slowly in contentment.  This could be no
other than de Kooning.  But de Kooning now
belonged to someone else.  And in fact, by that
time, I belonged to someone else, as I'd altered
myself, grown apart from the crazy footloose
woman who sat houses.  I'd settled down in my own
house and was carving out my own way to get from
here to there, not like the rest of the family.
I had only one foot nailed to the ground.  The
other one was free.  Free to wander.

--

Tobie Helene Shapiro
Berkeley, California   USA