TheBanyanTree: Life Stories 127

Tobie Shapiro tobie at shpilchas.net
Sun Jan 21 08:13:22 PST 2007

January 21, 2000007

Dear Seekers and Finders,

	If you're looking for the Brahms second
Serenade and you're having trouble finding it,
look under: Brahms Serenade No.2.  I got word
from some folks that they couldn't find it when
they went hunting.  It is a consummate piece, not
one of Brahms' better known works and I don't
know why.  It was one of his own personal
favourites.  The first time I got married
(doesn't that sound awful) I had an orchestra
playing the piece as we walked in.  Dweller and I
got married at the Jewish Museum of the West just
down the street.  A big old mansion that's been
converted into the museum.  The grounds are
beautiful.  There was plenty of room for the
orchestra (strings and ten winds I think), not a
full sized orchestra, more like a chamber
orchestra.  Anyway, do go look for it.  If you
have any iota of you that appreciates classical
music, you will like this piece.

	And in other news:  Feyna's friend, Alex,
the one who was going to have to move to Nevada
because he couldn't afford to live here.  The one
who said, "Well, there is a way that I could
stay.  If you and Natalie moved in with me and
got jobs and supported me...."  Yes, that Alex.
Feyna has received sunny news about his financial
status.  He works part time at San Francisco City
Hall, filing things and running errands.  And
guess what!  He got a raise so he can stay, and
not only that, but today they're all three going
house hunting with him in the city so he can
scout out what sort of house he could buy.
SOMETHING DOESN'T SCAN WELL.  I told Feyna that.

	"You mean, he got a raise from his part
time, minimum wage job, and that is the
difference between having to move to Nevada and
buying a house in the city?  Feyna, there's
something wrong with this."

	"Not now, Mom.  Please!"  She started to
cry.  "What do you expect me to do about it?
Tell him he's lying and dump him?"

	"No.  Feyna I don't expect you to do
anything about it.  I just want you to have your
eyes open.  There are obviously things about him
that you don't know.  And he is not telling you
the whole truth.  I just want you to know this."

	"All right.  I know."

	"Does he actually think that you're going to fall for this?"

	"I don't know."

	"I guess he does, otherwise he wouldn't keep doing it."

	There ended our conversation.  She was
off to meet him and Natalie for another
overnight.  She has school today in San
Francisco.  I do wish there were some other way
than having to watch her fall on her face, but
there  is no substitute for experience.  I
shudder.  I love Feyna more than I can say, and
the thought of her having her heart broken
shatters me.  Nothing I can do.  Just steer the
ship.  Steer the ship.  And tell her things like
I told her.

                             ””””””””””””””””””””””””
                              %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%
                               ¼¼¼¼¼¼¼¼¼¼¼¼¼¼¼¼¼¼¼¼¼¼¼¼¼¼¼¼¼¼¼¼¼¼¼¼¼¼¼¼¼¼¼¼¼¼

Ballroom Dancing

	Dart Tinkum had a captive clientele.  She
gave ballroom dancing classes to the fourth,
fifth and sixth graders at John Muir Elementary
School.  She gave these classes after school on
certain days.  She sent invitations, formal
invitations, with the extra little leaf of
translucent paper between the front fold of the
card and the inside embossed message asking our
parents  if they would like us, individually, to
join her very elite ballroom dancing class, which
will be held such and such a day at such and such
time and will cost such and so much for the
semester.  These invitations to the dance were
passed out in class by the teacher, so it seemed
as if Dart Tinkum were anointed by the school.
It was a package deal.  You sit in class all day
hunched over your own skull, learning what you
probably would rather not learn and thereafter,
on such and such day, you wear your frothiest
clothing and stand there at the Hillcrest Club
with Dart Tinkum, learning how to fox trot, cha
cha cha and box step with the other members of
your class.

	There are a lot of movies out recently
about ballroom dancing and how the teaching of it
has lifted poor disadvantaged kids, rich lost
kids and delinquent kids from their hopeless
trajectories and taught them self esteem, like
feeding them crackers, that easy.  Oh at first,
they laugh at the formalities of ballroom
dancing, at the ridiculous poses and the
unnatural postures, but after a while, they are
all seduced by it, and they take their places on
the dance floor, new human beings propelled by a
newfound sense of purpose, their heads held high,
stepping out into the world under the direction
of Lawrence Welk and his merry pranksters.  But
you know, this is a crock.  You can bill it
however you want to, but the reality for most of
us with our knobby knees and scabby elbows was
that Dart Tinkum's class was barely tolerable.
We were embarrassed to be there, embarrassed to
touch the bizarre and alien members of the
opposite sex, and embarrassed to be counting our
feet as we shuffled across the shiny floor, no
rose in our teeth.  The apple of no one's eye.

	There was the same social outcasting as
among the classmates at school.  There were
popular kids and unpopular kids, and kids that
didn't even qualify for unpopular they were so
apart from the rest.  When Dart Tinkum gave the
starting shot and told us to go fill up our dance
cards, we girls would stand there at one end of
the room, twitching in our frocks, hoping no one
would choose us, or that everyone would choose
us, and the miserable boys would have to gush
forward with the rest of the pack like the
million sperm let loose to court the egg.  They
would leave their side of the room and swim over
to our side, their eyes downcast, looking at
their own wing tips as they had to select a few
loathsome girls for dance partners and sign in
her book for the third dance, or the seventh
dance, or good God I hope I can avoid her for the
last dance.  We girls were the receptive eggs,
and they boys were the aggressive sperm.  The
idea was to do the whole thing without making any
unnecessary eye contact, and without giving
anything away.  No one was to discover through
this execrable process that anyone had a thing
for anyone else.  That would be death.

	My dance card was never full.  For those
of us less popular girls, our fate was to dance
with Dart Tinkum, the final sign of social exile.
No matter how tall or short we were, we all came
up to Dart Tinkum's bosom.  And that is where we
were forced to direct our sight as she led us
across the dance floor, the best dancer by far,
and the least popular.  At the end of the
semester, there would be a gala event, and the
record player would have its total work out while
the class of 1959 suffered through the ordeal.
We did this why?  We did this to please our
parents who thought this would be good for us.
How many atrocities have been carried out in the
name of, "good for you"?  I am a graduate of,
"good for you".  Sort of in the line of, "What
doesn't kill you will make you stronger".  That
is untrue, however.  What doesn't kill you will
almost damn near kill you, and you will lie there
gasping for breath, holding on to life because
that's what we do, not because it is so sweet or
beloved.

	In the sixth grade, a new student came to
our class.  Her name was Dianne Dixon, and she
was a Negro.  In those days, "Negro," was polite
for, "black".  And when, like every semester, the
embossed formal invitations were handed out in
class to join Dart Tinkum's Ballroom Dancing
Class, everyone got an invitation except Dianne
Dixon.

	"Why weren't you invited?" I asked, cluelessly.

	"Because I'm coloured," she said, with a
shrug, as if this were just another in a series
of like circumstances she was used to on a daily
basis.  As if.

	Well, I wasn't a slave unto Pharaoh for
nothing.  And at the first dance class, while I
was dancing with Dart Tinkum, I asked her why
Dianne Dixon wasn't invited to the class.

	"Oh dear," she said to the Jewgirl, quite
openly, "She wouldn't be comfortable here, now
would she?"

	I stopped dancing and told Ms. Tinkum,"
Then neither am I."  I walked off the dance
floor, out of the Hillcrest Club, and arrived
home without telling anybody a thing.  I didn't
want my liberal parents to make a big deal out of
it.

                               ¼¼¼¼¼¼¼¼¼¼¼¼¼¼¼¼¼¼¼¼¼¼¼¼¼¼¼¼¼¼¼¼¼¼¼¼¼¼¼¼¼¼¼¼¼¼
--

Tobie Helene Shapiro
Berkeley, California   USA

tobie at shpilchas.net