TheBanyanTree: Life Stories 126

Tobie Shapiro tobie at shpilchas.net
Sat Jan 20 09:11:00 PST 2007

January 20, 200000000000000000007

Dear Whoever is still reading this,

	Yesterday, I went to Peet's (coffee
house) and met a man from Jdate, that Jewish
internet dating service.  I've done this before,
and met people who have no spark for me.  No
region in the brain that is alert and
enthusiastic.  Whatever the reasons, I've never
yet met someone I could envision seeing again for
any reason.  Yesterday, I met Richard whose last
name is still a mystery to me.  He was all right.
That's big happy.  He was all right.  He wasn't
the new love of my life.  And he wasn't, oh my
heart is pitta patting wildly.  But he was all
right.  We had a lively discussion about any
number of things, and an hour and something went
by quickly.  Then I had to pick up and go home to
Meyshe's viola lesson.  We agreed to see each
other again.  But those end of the date
agreements can sometimes be crocky.  I can
remember nodding my head to someone else's,
"Let's do this again," and shaking it off as I
walked away.  But it did my heart good to see
that there are men out there who have something
to say and a compassionate heart.  Maybe I'll
hear from him.  And maybe not.  Maybe I'll
contact him.

                                 ßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßß
                                  §§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§

Happy Birthday

	While you're a child, birthday parties
are events that have to happen.  You must have a
birthday party every year, invite your friends,
and worry about whom you are not inviting, invite
everyone in the class if that's the school rule.
Your mom takes care of the cake and ice-cream.
The libation is either milk or soda, or juice in
some cases.  The table is set with a paper cloth
denoting a birthday on it.  There are paper
plates, plastic forks and spoons, plastic
disposable glasses, paper napkins.  It is all
concocted with the understanding that there will
be a mess.  Everyone sits around the table and
puts a party hat on, or blows the unfurling
honker with the feather on the end.  The kids
make noise, and more noise, and a few mothers
hover in the kitchen, their hands wrapped around
coffee mugs, leaning against counters or seated
at stools around a kitchen island.  These are the
parents who will stay throughout the party to
help, or just for the coffee klatch, after which
they run off to do things without having to watch
over their child.  A little free time for errands
or whims.

	When I was young, fathers made token
guest appearances or didn't show at all, and that
was normal.  I frankly feared the presence of my
own father, as there might be an embarrassing
scene.  He had a way of commandeering the
attention.  A birthday party is supposed to be
all for the birthday girl or birthday boy, who
can sit and be waited on, eat cake and ice-cream
and bask. Then comes the time of opening
presents.  This is when all the boxes and bags
that are wrapped in colourful paper with curled
ribbons and little cards identifying the giver
are unwrapped hastily and opened up.  Everyone
gets to see what everyone else gave, and that can
be uncomfortable.  One year, I may have been six
or seven, I got five plastic comb and brush sets
that came in a cardboard box with a plastic
window in the top so you could see the comb and
brush sunk into their intended indentations in
the packaging.  I swear that my impression was
that I got seven of them, but it just couldn't
have been, could it?  Five is safe.

	When it was someone else's birthday, my
mother would take me shopping to find a present,
and I'd scrub through the shelves, my eyes
sweeping around the displays to take in all
possibilities.  I never wanted to get someone
something that everyone else would give her, so I
stayed away from fads.  My mother would bring
something down from a shelf too high for me to
see, and show it to me.  "What about this game?"
I'd look at it with a grudge, because I hadn't
chosen it.   I tended to get unusual toys,
scientific experiments or tools, never books.  I
would reach for art supplies, never dolls,
strange gizmos and gadgets that performed amazing
tricks, never brand name advertisements or
merchandise from the latest Disney movie.  There
was not as much merchandise then, though there
were Howdy Doody puppets, and for the teenagers,
tablets with Elvis' face on them.  Sometimes my
mother would have to say no to my suggestions
because she didn't think the birthday girl wanted
a recording of a Haydn string quartet.  When we'd
finally made our selection, we'd go home and I'd
make a card while my mother wrapped the present.

	I wonder, looking back, what time she
ever had to herself to do things she wanted to
do, or just to sit and stare out into the growing
world of people, animals, plants and machines,
buildings and bodies of water, places to go and
not go, the world visible and invisible, but not
apparent when you are fiercely watching over your
children.  As the years progress, the requisite
birthday party is reduced to any planned occasion
with the birthday in mind.  You become too old to
sit with a party hat on your head and blow out
candles while everyone yells, "Make a wish!"
Birthdays become events, peopled with friends or
family.  They take place with less fanfare, fewer
guests, fewer party favours, and you yourself
take a larger part in planning them.

	One birthday, my eighteenth, I decided
that what I wanted for this special landmark
birthday was an orchestra in the living room.  I
wanted to play the Brahms second serenade.  I
would need to invite enough of the proper
musicians for the score, and have a volunteer
conductor.  The musicians, I knew.  I'd been
playing the cello so intensely that pulling
together an orchestra was more a matter of
scheduling than hunting.  I'd had experience with
Michael Senturia who conducted the University of
California Symphony Orchestra.  He was energetic
and marvellous, passionate and dedicated.  He'd
coached a string quartet that I'd been invited to
join to play Haydn's opus 76 number 2, and the
Charles Ives second string quartet at a Hertz
Hall noon concert.  This was a prestigious series
of concerts given at the University every
Wednesday.  They couldn't find a cellist at the
University who could manage the parts, so they
came to Berkeley High School for me.  Michael
Senturia was a rigourous coach and exacting
conductor.  He agreed to conduct.  So there would
be something like forty guests.  And my mother
asked me, "What would you like me to make for
dinner?"  I answered, as if I weren't putting her
out in the slightest, "Paella".  And so she made
Paella for forty.  The orchestra assembled and we
rehearsed the Brahms second serenade.  All my
favourite musicians were there.  It was a stellar
crowd.  Then we broke for dinner.  The living
room had been cleared out for the orchestra and
now it was plenty roomy for people to sit and eat
their dinners.  We were everywhere.  As the sun
went down, we were all full of music and drunk on
beauty, the sensuousness of Brahms, the luxuriant
glow of making music together.

	It wasn't I that started it, but I joined
in with the long sinuous line of dancers forming
to do Miserlu, that Greek folk dance that goes
forward and backward, swivels around and switches
direction, winds up a step further down the road
than it began before repeating the sequence.  And
down the road is where it went.  Out our front
door, down the stairs, pouring out into the
street, we danced and sang at the top of our
lungs, right down the middle of the street.  In
the midst of all this noise, a couple of police
cars pulled up.  The cops got out of their cars
and came to the head of the line.  All dancing
stopped.

	"Whose party is this?"  one asked.

	I raised my timid hand.  "Mine."

	"How old are you?"  the policeman demanded.

	"Eighteen," I confessed, thinking that at
age eighteen, I was now qualified for the
electric chair and full responsibility for my
actions, no longer a minor.  The policemen told
us to quiet down.  There had been complaints
about the noise.  Get out of the street and close
up shop.  Tiptoeing away, we dispersed.  Everyone
packed up their instruments and skedaddled.  The
party was over.  That year I got no presents, but
it was the richest birthday I ever had.  Go
listen to the Brahms second serenade.  It will
sweep you up in its arms and carry you away.
Away.  Away.  It will carry you away.

--

Tobie Helene Shapiro
Berkeley, California   USA