TheBanyanTree: A Lunch Conversation with a Colleague

A. Christopher Hammon chris at oates.org
Sat Jan 20 08:20:31 PST 2007

My friend sat across the table laughing and enjoying the moment. "So it
is different now that you are the teacher?" he commented in a voice that
was somewhere between inquiry and observation. Heads turned at nearby
tables as my friend roared with laughter, adding to the holiday spirit
of one of our favorite lunchtime haunts.

My friend is the department head for the same department that I teach in
at another school. He is both my senior and he has been teaching longer
than I since I held off pursuing my doctorate until I was crossing the
half century mark. We get together over lunch at least a couple of times
a month; to talk shop, books, and baseball. And during the baseball
season we go to a number of ball games together as part of a pair of
season tickets we share with a couple of other colleagues. The laughter
is comfortable, warm, and affirming.

It was not yet mid-December; about a week after my students final
revisions had been due and a couple of weeks before the registrar
expected me to turn in grades. I had just expressed my impatience and
concern that three-fourths of the class had yet to get their "final"
drafts submitted. (I teach students working on their doctorates and the
classes are pass/fail, which in this case is another way of saying it is
either "A" quality work or failing, and I have the opportunity to keep
sending papers back for revisions until I am happy with what I have
received.)

"Out of curiosity," my friend across the table asked, "how close to
on-time were you when you wrote your last papers and dissertation?"

Okay, so maybe I don't exactly have a reputation for turning papers in
on time and perhaps my friends would suggest that I do have a reputation
for thinking that submitting  something in a timely fashion is anytime
within a few weeks of the due date. I'm sure that at sometime during my
years of formal education I managed to turn at least a couple of papers
in by their appropriate due dates.

My spouse has always accused me of just being a procrastinator and I
suppose that is true in a sense. But it is not like I just put off
working on the papers. In fact I was always quick to dive into the
research and have a tendency to be fascinated by the topics and
exploring them thoroughly. My therapist gave me a little better
perception when he pulled out my Myers-Briggs scores and observed that I
was an off-the-scale "P" with a strong tendency to get lost in the
process of working on projects. Nothing special, just standard operating
procedure for those registering as "ENFPs" on the Myers-Briggs scales.
The problem with enjoying the process of researching, contemplating, and
theorizing is that eventually you have to put it on paper or some other
media that crystallizes the process into a permanent form. And the
moment you do that, the party---the process---is over. All of the
possible potentialities are immediately frozen into one and a sense of
falling short of writing the "greatest ever novel" or a Nobel Prize
winning essay swirls into perceived reality.

"Well ... maybe a week or two or three after the actual due dates, but,"
I quickly added, "it was different in my case because I was working with
a collaborator." Another colleague and I collaborated on our doctoral
work and presented the school with its first co-authored dissertation;
so I was hoping to pass the blame off to my collaborator, who is another
ENFP on the Meyers-Briggs scale. My friend across the table, who knows
my collaborator, could believe that; but only partially.

"I was just curious," he commented.

"But the real difference," I added, "was that when I finally got it
turned it, it was brilliant." We won't say anything about the handful of
journal articles that several editors are waiting to get from me ... and
have been for too long.

"It is so different now that you are the teacher, eh?" he commented
laughingly. "And I am sure that when their papers are all in and the
final versions accepted, you will have drawn out their brilliance as
well." We both shared in our laughter and turned our conversation to the
books we were reading through the Christmas season.

Cheers,
Chris

Chris Hammon
Barefoot on the Web