TheBanyanTree: Life Stories 125

Tobie Shapiro tobie at shpilchas.net
Fri Jan 19 07:21:26 PST 2007

January 19, 20000000007

Dear Here,

	Meyshe hates shaving.  Every once in a
while, we'll take him into the bathroom and fire
up the shaver (the best they had), and we'll flip
up the trimmer and get the first few layers of
his beard off.  Then we'll use the shaver heads
to clear away the remaining brush.  He shrieks in
pain at some of this.  Men: does shaving hurt?
This is with one of those three circular headed
shavers that has a trimmer attachment that you
can push out from the body of the shaver.
Anyway, when he's done, Meyshe looks splendid!  A
handsome man.  Then when I try to offer to help
him shave in a couple of days, he refuses, and
after a while, it's back to beard and moustache,
and we have to do the whole thing again.  I
wouldn't object to a beard, except that his is
still straggly and he doesn't know how to trim it
into good neat shape so he doesn't look like a
street person.

	Personally, I don't shave.  I shaved
under my arms, once, when I was 19, but that was
it.  The raw skin rubbing against raw skin with
little prickly ends sticking out convinced me
that it was stupid.  Feyna's aforementioned
friend, Alex, once told her, "Feyna, shave under
your arms.  It's not easy on the eye."  Really
tactful, and of course, none of his business to
tell Feyna how to manage her body, but there it
was.  The weird thing is, she did it.  She rued
it later.  Felt bad for caving in and swore that
she'd never let him do that to her again.  But
then he told her she should wear big hoop
earrings because he liked the slutty look.  And
whaddayaknow, she showed up with big cheap hoop
earrings.  It did not look in keeping with
Feyna's natural look.  She took them off and I've
not seen them again.

	One of my suitors once showed me a page
in some fashion magazine.  A scrawny model was
posed near a king's cane chair and hassock.  She
was wearing laced see through pants that were
cuffed at an extreme angle, and a low low cut
v-neck blouse to match.  Black.  He said, "This
is you."  I told him that it wasn't me.  It was a
scrawny model in New York, and that I was
satisfied with my weird wear, the wraparound full
length skirts and the layers of Asian jackets
over a kurta, the rings on every finger, the
Chinese standard issue decorated mary janes and
the stockings with silk screened photos of
various familiar sceneries on them.  He insisted
that this photo was what I ought to look like.  I
was shocked.  I told him that he couldn't dress
me and to stop trying.

	He didn't last long.

                        
                         WWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW

Breast Pump

	For the first six months of their lives,
Feyna and Meyshe were sustained by my milk alone.
I was warned by many people that it was not
possible, that I wouldn't be able to manufacture
enough milk to feed two growing babies,
especially since I was so petite a person.  But
there were warnings of every kind.  There is
something about the whole process of pregnancy,
giving birth, naming the baby, nursing and care
of infants that brings out the kibbitzer in
people.  They give all manner of advice: advice
not needed, advice not asked for, catastrophic
warnings, and a lot of, "I heard that . . . ".  I
had to insulate myself from it.  It was a
powerful blast.  Not only did they tell me I
couldn't nurse twins, they also told me my milk
must not be good.  Meyshe had colic.  They'd see
Meyshe fussing at the breast, and they'd furrow
their brows.  "Something might be wrong with your
milk."  I would point to Feyna who was hitched to
the next breast over, note that she was doing
just fine, and wait for the reaction.  "Some
babies aren't as sensitive to bad milk," they'd
improvise.

	What was it about a woman nursing twins
that inspired such a torrent of criticism, such
negativity, such discouraging tactics?  Did they
loathe the fact that I had twins?  Was it
jealousy?  Or did twins just sound some tribal
instinct that it was unnatural, a hex, bad joo
joo?

	You may think that babies are born
knowing what to do.  They just look for the
breast and suck out the juice.  But it's not the
case.  Some babies latch on quite well, and do
their jobs quietly and efficiently.  Some babies
don't close their mouths completely over the
nipple, and they take in air with every mouthful
of milk.  This is unpleasant for a rudimentary
digestive tract, and it keeps Mom up, too.  Some
babies keep falling off the breast and have to be
shown what to do.  This was not easy for me,
because I didn't know what to do.  I was doing
all this instinctively.  I just knew that they
needed one breast apiece, at the least, and I was
equipped.

	I learned quickly that when one of them
woke up to nurse, I had to wake the other one to
nurse.  They had to be on the same schedule.
Otherwise I'd be nursing all the time.  The input
and output, when staggered, wreaks havoc on the
Mom.  Nursing one while changing the other's
diapers, then doing the reverse in half an hour.
I had a nursing pillow made especially for twins.
It was like a big puffy horseshoe, thick and
cushy for the babies' comfort.  I'd position
myself sitting up in bed, back against the wall,
and plop the nursing pillow on my lap.  Then I'd
take one infant at a time and lay it down with
the feet aimed out to my sides, and the head
towards my core.  Then the other.  I'd hold onto
their little heads while they nursed, and the
milk would drain out of me along with all my
waking energies.  It was a contest of sorts.
After nursing, they'd fall asleep, and during
nursing I was begged by my body to do so.  But I
resisted.  I was running the show, yes?  It was I
who had to hold on to their little wee skulls and
keep them attached.  If I fell over, what would
become of them?  It's not as if they could sashay
across the blankets, grab a breast and reclaim
it, the mother asleep, regardless.

	After a few months of this routine, I was
in to see my gynecologist, and we figured out
together by crunching numbers that I was nursing
twelve hours out of the twenty four.  This gave
me pause.  Emphasis was placed on this pause when
that day, as I sat up in bed doing the double
breasted suit, I watched the quilt undulating,
waves crossing it as if it were a lake, the
gentle tide lapping up onto the shore.  Oh.  No.
The quilt is not undulating.  I'm hallucinating.
I decided to give myself a break and fed them by
bottle for the middle of the night feeding.  I
fed them mother's milk, made possible by the fact
that I'd been saving excess milk with my handy
dandy breast pump.  This was the industrial
strength model, electric powerful sucking action,
stood about four feet tall it seemed, and came
with all sorts of tubes and funnels, accordioned
suction efficators, and dual sterile receptacles.
It stood by my side of the bed, a formidable
piece of furniture, making the bedroom look like
a mad scientist's laboratory, minus the Tessla
Coil.  When I hooked myself up to the breast
pump, I was fully committed.  All I could do was
read a book, or knit baby booties, crochet a
diaper bag.  But I don't knit or crochet, so I
sat there, turning the pages of a book while
teetering out of consciousness.  And the breast
pump went:  FOOOOOOM - EWWPHHHHH - FOOOOOM -
EEWWPHHHH - AHFOOOOOOM - EERWPHHHHH.  With every
FOOOM the machine's air tight seal on the tip of
my breast pulled the nipple straight out into a
transparent funnel attached to a tube.  Five jets
of milk would get squeezed from me and splatter
down through the funnel.  The suction was so
powerful that the whole areola was sucked into
the funnel, and the nipple stretched like the
rubber protrusion on a jumbly toy.  FOOOOOM!  And
the nipple extruded.  EWWPHHHH, and the little
accordioned suction efficators re-armed
themselves.  FOOOOOM!  	EWWPHHHH!  AAAAAAAAH!  as
it rested before rewinding.  FOOOOOM!  EWWPHHHH!
AAAAAAAAHHH!

	Once when I was being milked, Alex
knocked on the door.  He needed to tell his
father something.  David invited him in.  I
covered myself quickly with the sheets, and tried
to look innocent.  But FOOOOOOOM!  EWWPHHHH!
AAAAAHHH! and the rich sweet mother's milk
splattering down the transparent tube.  Alex
tried to look the other way.  I have to hand it
to him.  I would have reached over and turned off
the pump, but the gasp when it shut off was
almost worse than the racket while it was
working.  FOOOOOM!  PHEEEEEOOOOOWWW -
GHAAAAAAaaaaaa - THUNK - FFFFfffffffth.

                         WWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW

--