TheBanyanTree: Life Stories 120

Tobie Shapiro tobie at shpilchas.net
Sun Jan 14 10:17:28 PST 2007

January 14, 200000000007

Dear School of Fish and University of Writers,

	I posted my profile and my mug on Jdate,
an internet dating service for Jewish singles.
Every once in a while I get word from them that
someone has selected me out of a pile of
offerings and has written me a note.  I go and
collect the note and read the profile, and there
you have it.   Today, three messages came in from
strangers.  I really ought to update my
photographs is what I think, but I don't have any
more recent photographs than the old ones I
posted, except for my picture of me gurning for
the international gurning competition in Cumbria,
England.  Those of you who haven't seen it should
go directly to the Cumbria, England site and find
the gurning competition candidates.:  Try this:
http://www.cumbria.uk.com/cumbria/fun/gurn.htm

	I don't mean to scare you.  But wouldn't
that be a great inclusion in my set of self
portraits for a dating service?  Don't you think
it speaks to my sense of humour, and my
willingness to be not your usual camper?  But
they rejected it.

	Recently, I met a fellow from Jdate.  He
sounded good on pixel, but when I met him it was
flat.  He cringed when I said, "Classical Music".
Now, how could that work out?  He was nice
enough, but I had to walk away being depressed.
My "situation" frightens off some of the men, I'm
sure.  I've been told.  Single mom, on disability
with two teenagers with disabilities, living with
her mother, not sure if she can afford a house in
a decent neighborhood.  Doesn't sound good, does
it.  Maybe I should wait until I have that house
in an indecent neighborhood.  Maybe I should
throw in the sponge?  (Where did that expression
come from?).  Maybe it's not in the cards for me
to meet someone just yet.  I'm ready for that.
It's not such an awful sentence.

                      ŠŠŠŠŠŠŠŠŠŠŠŠŠŠŠŠŠŠŠŠŠŠŠŠŠŠŠŠŠŠ

§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§

Crisis intervention

	After the big fire that destroyed our
house and everything in it that I couldn't fit in
the car, we moved seven times in three years.  I
don't mean there were seven places we lived, just
that we picked up and replaced ourselves
somewhere else seven times.  The first time was
damn easy because we had nothing to move, no
personal effects but the carload I'd saved, not
even a toothbrush or a chair.  But every time we
moved, subsequently, we had accumulated more
belongings, and more belongings, until when we
finally bought a house to call our own, we had
boxes and boxes.  Of course nothing was
organized.  We'd lived out of boxes in someone
else's house for three years.  The kids had been
growing up without any sense of permanence.
Everything around them belonged to someone else.
They asked me, "Is this ours?"  "Is that ours?"
"Can I keep the picture I drew in school?"

	It took us three years because we had to
sue the insurance company.  That's just one of
the perks that comes along with losing your home
and everything in it (minus one small carload) in
a major catastrophe.  An act of God, the City of
Oakland wanted us to believe.  But actually, it
was an act of man.  Particularly some men who had
been having a barbecue that started a fire the
day before the big event.  The Oakland Fire
Department was dispatched to put the fire out,
but they didn't stay to watch it.  On the
hottest, windiest day of the year, they just left
the scene.  The next day, the heat and wind
stirred up the embers, and the rest was history.
The insurance company would have loved, "an act
of God," because they wouldn't have had to pay us
diddly.  As it was, they squeezed us and cheated
us, lied and connived.  So in order to get on
with our lives, we had to sue them.

	A lawsuit is a terrible thing.  When
someone says, "So, sue me!" you must set your
teeth on edge and shudder your last convulsive
shudder.  They know not what they say.  No one
could possibly sue for fun.  It is not a sport.
For thirty days, their lawyers grilled me on
details of what we'd lost down to fifty cent
pieces of manuscript paper.  They pursued us, and
tried to wear us down.  David would have folded
up and quit, but I saw that if we didn't prevail,
we would have nothing to start a new life with,
and I also saw my family in need of security.  So
I dug in my heels and persisted where a saner
human being might have said, "You know?  This
hurts too much.  I've decided to stop."  Thank
God for my dysfunctional upbringing.  If it
weren't for the psychosis of my original family
unit, I would never have been crazy enough to
tolerate the abuse.

	So we wound up, in 1994, moving into a
grand house on a coveted street in Berkeley, we
and our myriad boxes without furniture.  That had
to come later.  We'd been living at my parents'
house for a year before we could move into the
big old house on Hillcrest Road, the twins and
David and I in one room.  This was the first move
that we had to hire a moving company for.  Just
up the street a while and to the right.

	On the second day in the new house, we
opened up the kitchen's sliding doors and let the
twins run outside to discover the back yard while
we went about the awful business of unpacking.  I
had my head in a big box and was rummaging for
something to bring out and have a place for, when
Meyshe came hopping in from the back yard
beseeching me to follow him out.  "Look!  Look!"
he cried.  Any language from Meyshe was worth a
celebration, and absolutely, you follow his
verbal instructions to encourage more language.
Oh, and to be civil and a good parent, too.  I
followed him outside.  He led me to an overgrown
heap of grass and fallen leaves.  "Mushroom," he
shouted, pointing.  And indeed, there was a
mushroom.  A giant mushroom maybe a foot or more
in diameter, a giant mushroom maybe a foot or
more in diameter with a neat arc of a bite taken
out of it.

	"Did you eat this, Meyshe?"

	"Mushroom!"

	Everything I knew about wild mushrooms
could fill less than a byte.  But I knew that
people who accidentally, or just plain stupidly,
ate the wrong wild mushroom, would wind up dead
or needing a liver transplant, clinging to life
by sheer will and a powerful yen for safe cream
of mushroom soup.  We were all in boxes.  Where
was the ipecac syrup?  I thought hard.  I hadn't
packed it.  It was still at Gramma and Grampa's
house.  I was getting Feyna ready to shoot out
the front door and had Meyshe's shoes on.  I
called my mother to alert her.  I called the
doctor to alert them.  They enthusiastically
authorized the immediate use of ipecac.  Then
bring him in.  We were out the front door but
were held up by David who was in the back yard
removing a sample of the mushroom and placing it
methodically into a plastic ziplock bag.

	"What are you doing that for?  This is an emergency.  Hurry!"

	We drove up to my mother's and father's
house and I was out of the car with Meyshe before
it stopped.  I ran in, dragging him behind me.  I
took him upstairs to the bathroom and fetched the
ipecac.  I fed him his portion.

	At this point, my father forbade Meyshe
to be inside the house, because he was going to
vomit, and he didn't want a mess.

	"He'll use the toilet like everyone else
who throws up.  Please, don't put him outside."

	But he was adamant and exiled poor Meyshe
to the back patio.  I went outside and stood by
him all through his sickness and confusion.  I
told him what we were doing and why we had to
make him throw up the mushroom.  But how much
sense it all made, I am not sure.  Chances were,
of course, that there was nothing poisonous about
the mushroom, but there was a chance that it
could kill him.  I work swiftly in a crisis.  I
am a good person to have around.  My whole
childhood was a crisis, and I learned to think
quickly and act decisively.  Meyshe bent over and
puked, and he puked again in the bushes.  Then he
puked on the cement and he puked on his shoes.
When the puking was finished, I cleaned him up
while getting him ready to go to the doctor.  But
where was David?  We couldn't go without David,
though I contemplated it.  Where was the father?

	"David!  We have to leave!  We have to
take Meyshe to the doctor.  Where the hell are
you?"

	I made a quick run through the main floor
and found him off in the library looking up
mushrooms in the Encyclopedia Brittanica.  "What
good will that do now?!"  I was amazed; truth is
I was alarmed.  I felt like I had three children
and the biggest one was the hardest to move.
"You can do that later!" I screamed.  And then I
apologized for screaming.  "We have to get him to
the doctor.  We can't find out now whether that
mushroom was poison or benign.  I'm leaving with
the kids.  Are you coming?"

	He lingered at the M-N book.  I left and
piled the kids in the car.  I couldn't leave
Feyna with my mother because I couldn't trust her
with my father around, and I couldn't leave Feyna
with her own father, because he was distracted
and usually inattentive.  I couldn't trust him
either.  So many emergencies to think about.  So
many angles to a single story line.  I was
holding on to the boat with my feet and the dock
with my fists.  As I was about to pull off from
the curb, David emerged from the house, still
lost in thought, pondering the genus and sub
genus of mushrooms.

	Dr. Rhea checked Meyshe over thoroughly
and felt the danger was past.  I'd done the right
thing with the ipecac syrup.  Couldn't take a
chance.

	On the way home, David spoke about
contacting some expert at the University in
Berkeley who might know exactly what kind of
mushroom Meyshe ate.  I was somehow not
interested.  In fact, David's reaction to the
crisis of the unknown mushroom frightened me.
What if I someday needed his help in a crisis?
Would he be doing research on the history of the
arrow in western civilization while a good
example of one was sticking through my chest and
out my back?

--

Tobie Helene Shapiro
Berkeley, California   USA