TheBanyanTree: Life Stories 118

Tobie Shapiro tobie at shpilchas.net
Fri Jan 12 07:48:19 PST 2007

January 12 200000000007

Dear Folks,

	Today is the great grandchild's birthday.
He is one.  My mother waited and waited for one
of her grandchildren to sprout offspring, and one
finally did.  This makes me a grand aunt.  For
all of you who yawn at talk like this:  I know
how you feel.  You are just starting out.  The
idea that the next generation, your children
could have children is just not feasible.  When
it happens, you will be infused with a new sense
of youth.  My mother is going up to Seattle today
to be there for Lumen's first birthday party.  I
get to drive her to the airport.

	You may have wondered what sort of a name
Lumen is.  A Lumen is a measurement of light.
His parents know what they're doing.  I like the
name.  Probably, people will call him Louie.
It's just the way things go.

ŸŸŸŸŸŸŸŸŸŸŸŸŸŸŸŸŸŸŸŸŸŸŸŸŸŸŸŸŸŸŸŸŸŸŸŸŸŸŸŸŸŸŸŸŸŸŸŸŸŸŸŸŸŸŸŸŸŸŸŸ

†††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††

You will know them by their marshmallows

	Harry taught me how to cook Chinese.  He
also taught me how to eat Chinese.  There was a
restaurant we frequented in Oakland Chinatown
called the Lun Kee.  It was very plain to look at
it, and the inside, like so many good Chinese
restaurants, was low on decor, but the kitchen
turned out the real stuff.  We would open the
menu to the front and look at the page that was
tacked into the cover, all in Chinese characters.
That would be the daily offering for two, three,
four, five, six people.  The dishes would be what
you never get in the honky menu.  There would be
bitter melon, dried shrimp, salted fish with
steamed pork, a daily soup which would be a thin
broth with some variety of leafy vegetable or
winter melon in it.  There would be organ meat,
and steamed fish steaks with sauce.  The first
time I tried bitter melon, my throat wouldn't
swallow it.  My body must have read it as
non-edible.  I hated it.  But I was determined to
learn to like it.  So I ate more.  The second
time I tried it, it was passable and I tolerated
it well.  By the fourth time, I couldn't get
enough of it.

	I always had an adventurous spirit about
food.  I was frightened of nothing.  I suppose I
drew the line at recognizable insects.  There was
a certain pride in being able to say, "I really
liked that fish face with chicken fingernails!"
When all others were grimacing and backing off
from the food, I would be digging in with my fork
or chopsticks.

	My grandmother used to love to tell a
story about me when I was six or seven years old.
My grandparents were visiting Silver Spring from
San Francisco.  It was the afternoon, time for a
snack.  Tobie was hungry.

	"What do you want to eat?" my grandma
asked.  I opened the refrigerator and foraged,
then brought out a little bowl of coleslaw.

	"I want coleslaw," I said.

	"Coleslaw!?"  Grama was surprised.
Vegetables as a snack must have sounded unusual
to her, especially for a child to request.

	"Yes.  Coleslaw.  It's delicious.  It's
full of vitamins, and it's goooooood for me!"

	She would draw out the words and take
delight in the story.  So so did I.

	When I first went away to school in
Seattle, I couldn't cook a pot of water.  That
semester of cooking in the eighth grade just
didn't prepare me for a hot plate in a rooming
house.  I'd call my mother and ask her how she
cooked the string beans, the tripe, the breast of
lamb, the noodles and cottage cheese.  Then I'd
go out to the store and find the ingredients,
come back and attempt to replicate the tastes and
smells I grew up with.  The other roomers were
not pleased with the aroma of simmering tripe,
and had a legitimate complaint that it took a few
hours to cook on the little one burner hot plate,
which we all had to share.  I called up my mother
nearly daily, trying to get the hang of cooking.
How did she make the parsnips?  I went to the
grocery store for parsnips, came back and cooked
them to the letter of the instructions as issued
by my mother, but it came out all wrong.  The
texture was wrong.  The taste was bitter.  It
took me a while to figure out that I'd bought
daikon radishes, not parsnips.

	But I got good at hot plate cooking, and
offered to cook dinner for a friend who had his
own apartment.  Breast of lamb with barbecue
sauce.  A very fatty dish, one that you wouldn't
find promoted now.  But back then, fat was fine.
Fat was what kept you warm in winter.  I was very
good at cutting the meat into one bone strips,
and I was good at the sauce, but I fell down in
the hardware department.  I put the ribs under
the broiler in a pan with a Bakelite handle.  And
the heat broke the handle off.  There were always
mistakes like that in any new endeavor, but with
cooking, you had to eat the mistakes, and there
were little shavings of Bakelite in the lamb.
Not a good garnish.

	By the time I got married to Dweller, I
had called my mother enough and was beginning to
brave new endeavors myself, like inching out to
the edge of a long branch, swaying in a strong
wind.   I never went to recipe books.  Everything
was done in estimations and grand sweeps of the
arm.  I became a good cook, could throw together
all kinds of spices and herbs to get a flavour
particular to my own likes.  Dweller loved my
cooking, and we invited people over for dinner.
I would cook well more than enough food.  Enough
to choke a horse, if truth be known.  And this
inability to judge quantity has stayed with me
throughout my life in the kitchen.  I am famous
for it.  I am, in fact, ridiculed for it.

	The moment of my decision to leave
Dweller came in a cooking context.  I had made a
special dinner for him:  lamb chops with
pomegranate sauce.  I set it before us, and we
sat down to eat.  He carved into his lamb chop
and put a fork full in his mouth.  He began to
chew, but saw that the chop he had cut from was
rare on the inside.  His eyes bugged out.  He
said nothing.  He just bent his head over his
plate, opened his mouth and let the meat fall
out, splat, onto his dish.

	I looked at this, at the whole scene, at
the lack of adventure, the lack of sensuality, in
his make-up.  And there was the half chewed piece
of lamb in pomegranate sauce, lying dead and
masticated on his plate.  Something snapped
inside my head and my heart.  "I want a divorce,"
I said, tears cresting over my eyelids and
trickling down my cheeks.

	I should have known the first time we
roasted marshmallows together.  You can tell a
lot about someone by how they roast their
marshmallows.  Watch out!  Dweller would hunt for
the perfectly straight stick.  Then he'd whittle
the end into a point.  Onto this little spear,
he'd screw a single marshmallow until the point
was half way into it.  Then he'd approach the
fire, aiming the very top of the marshmallow
toward the flame, but not too near.  Patiently,
he would wait until there was a brownish skin
formed on the top of the marshmallow.  Then he'd
back away from the fire, deftly remove the hot
surface skin, neatly place it in his mouth and
eat it.  Then when he'd digested it, he would
approach the fire again, and brown another skin
on the top of the marshmallow.  He would repeat
this series of steps until the whole confection
had been consumed.

	Here is how I roasted my marshmallows.
I'd find a stick that was long enough so I
wouldn't burn myself.  I'd take two marshmallows
and impale them on the stick.  Then I'd thrust
the whole thing directly into the blaze until the
marshmallows had burst into flames.  I'd let it
burn in an incendiary celebration until both
marshmallows were forged together and reduced to
a blackened mass of bubbled carbon.  Then I'd eat
it, even if it was too hot.

	How could these two people spend their lives together?

--

Tobie Helene Shapiro
Berkeley, California   USA

tobie at shpilchas.net