TheBanyanTree: Life Stories 117

Tobie Shapiro tobie at shpilchas.net
Thu Jan 11 07:56:54 PST 2007

January 11, 200000007

Dear Practitioners of Good Deed Doing,

	While Feyna has been gone in Tahoe and
Reno, we got by without her washing the dishes.
It was rough.  She hates the job, but does it
without much complaint, while Meyshe clears the
table and sweeps the floor in the dining room,
then cleans off the table with a sponge and wipes
it dry with a towel.  I'm putting away food,
cleaning off the stove top and counters.  When we
all cooperate, the old saying goes, the work gets
done quickly.  And it does.

	A long time ago, the kids couldn't even
do dishes.  They had no idea how to put food
away, nor what to do with floors and counters.
Everything had been done for them.  But I gave
villainman the task of teaching them how to do
these things, and told them that when they were
at the point that they could clean up after
dinner, put the food away, the whole thing, I
would take them to the snow.  Villainman didn't
teach them.  Time went on.  He said it was easier
to do it himself.  But that's not good for the
kids, I told him.  He still didn't make an
effort.  So, I hit the computer and wrote up a
three page instruction manual for cleaning up
after dinner.  Everything from how to clear the
table, what to do with the table cloth, to how to
differentiate things that could go in the
dishwasher from things that couldn't.  I handed
that to villainman and told him that that should
make it simpler.  But that didn't work either.

	After he jumped ship, the kids knew how
to do it all in less than two weeks.  I didn't
even have to use the manual.  But I gave it to
them as a reference they could rely on in tight
spots.  The hardest part is putting the food away.

	Now, for me is the hardest part:  taking
them to the snow.  I should, the first time they
do the whole thing themselves without my
mother's or my help.

	I should

¿¿¿¿¿¿¿¿¿¿¿¿¿¿¿¿¿¿¿¿¿¿¿¿¿¿¿¿¿¿¿¿¿¿¿¿¿¿¿¿¿¿¿¿¿¿¿¿¿¿¿¿¿¿¿¿¿¿¿¿¿¿¿¿¿

°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°
                           ÇÇÇÇÇÇÇÇÇÇÇÇÇÇÇÇÇÇÇÇÇÇÇÇÇÇÇÇÇÇÇÇÇÇÇ

What we remember

	It seems hardly possible that we can
remember things early on in our lives.  I watch
little children, three, four years old with their
parents guiding them through a crowded store,
showing them how to wait in line, how to keep
their hands off of whatever is in front of them.
What is the difference between what you can touch
and what you musn't?   How can these tiny beings,
barely talking in more than a squeak, remember
anything from this day at the coffee house?

	What holds memory together and where does
it reside in the brain?  And why does it stay
there?  If it is dislodged, what can dislodge it,
and how does that happen?  How do we retrieve a
memory from our lives when language was
rudimentary and we had to perceive the world in
pictures and sensation?  But I do remember.  I
remember standing up in a crib and looking down a
hallway.  The crib's head or foot was near the
doorway, and the side was flat against the wall.
There was a light switch near the doorway, within
my reach, as I stood in the crib.  I was unhappy,
and thirsty, and I was crying for the magic mommy
to come to me and satisfy my needs.  I had
finished my bottle.  It was empty and I was
holding it in my hand, my right hand.  I threw it
down the hall.  It bounced on the floor and spun
a little before settling.  Then the door at the
end of the hallway opened, and my mother came
out.  She had black shoulder length hair, and she
was tying the belt of her bathrobe around her
waist.  She picked up the bottle and came to me,
lifted me up and carried me away.  That is where
the memory dissolves.  There is no end to the
scene, no conclusion to the story.  My memory
simply stops there.  How much of what I remember
is from what I've been told?  How much is pure
memory, uninvaded by adult reasoning?  My mother
tells me that by what I describe, this must have
happened on Teresita Boulevard which we moved to
from Encline Court when I was six months old, and
from which we moved to Maryland when I was two.
So, I can't have been older than two.

	My daughter, Feyna, remembers an incident
that happened when she was eight months old.
That is her earliest memory.  When she described
her memory to me, I could barely believe it.
Eight months old and she recalled lying in her
crib on her back and vomiting like a Vesuvius.
It rose in the air, and came down to bury all
those it splattered.  She was sick with the flu
and had a fever of 104º Fahrenheit.  That fever
may have peaked the mechanism that triggers the
storage of a memory.  She remembers nothing else,
though the adventure proceeded as I drew a bath
and had to clean the vomit out of her hair and
her ears, her face, her hands, her tiny body and
her legs and feet.  Every toe was covered with
vomit.  I was covered with vomit.  I cleaned her
up and dressed her and put her back in her crib.
All this while Meyshe slept soundly in the next
bed.

	 I remember a swing set and see saw in
the back yard in San Francisco.  I was put on one
seat of the see saw, and on the other, opposite
me, was my big sister.  The see saw went up and I
went up, still being held by the hands coming
from behind me.  The see saw went down, and
bumped when it hit the ground.  Dana went up in
her seat.  Then I went up again.  I was not
ecstatic at this ride.  Rather, I tolerated it.
It jostled me too much, and I wanted to get off.
So I voiced my displeasure, and the hands removed
me from the see saw while I was up in the air,
and my sister was down near the ground.

	I remember my sister waking me up by
reaching across a narrow room and shaking me.  My
bed was opposite hers in a narrow room.  The sun
was bright.  There were windows behind me.  I
don't remember my sister's face, just her arm and
her hand coming to shake me.  The floor was
linoleum tiles.  I remember my plaid coat.  My
sister had one just like it, only bigger.  It had
leather buttons and it was a dark colour.  I was
standing at the top of a staircase outside,
having just come out of a big building.  Or maybe
I was about to go into the big building.  The big
building was the Smithsonian Institution in
Washington, D.C.

	In the apartment building in Hyattsville,
we were given marionettes.  I fiddled with mine
and the string got all tangled up.  I brought it
to my mother, and she untangled it, handed it
back to me.  I went outside the apartment, into
the hallway and turned left up the stairs to the
apartment above us.  I knocked on the door.  A
woman came out of the apartment and walked me
back down to ours.  She knocked on our door and
my mother came to answer it.  This was the first
time the two women had met each other.  Her name
was Betty Roos.  We maintained a friendship with
her above and beyond the marionette.  It was
tangled again.

	I am haunted by a report I heard once
about experiments in physical location of memory
in the brain.  During brain surgery, the doctors
were given permission to probe the brain of a
woman with a tiny wire.  When they probed in one
location, the woman said, "Chocolate!  I smell
chocolate!"  Then they removed the probe and put
it in a millimeter away from the first site.  "A
circus!  A parade for the circus!"  They removed
the probe and returned it to the first location.
"Chocolate again!"  That our memories are all
sitting in our brains in exact localities amazes
me.  We retrieve the memories without wire
probes, by inspiring some chemical or electrical
activity in the brain.  And the memory stays
where it was.  Did the woman who remembered the
chocolate and the circus remember those things
before her brain was stimulated at those sites?
There is more in here, inside the skull,
protected by the thick bone I call my head.  My
impression is that there is more in here than I
will ever be able to retrieve, that is without a
wire and brain surgery.

                           ÇÇÇÇÇÇÇÇÇÇÇÇÇÇÇÇÇÇÇÇÇÇÇÇÇÇÇÇÇÇÇÇÇÇÇ

--

Tobie Helene Shapiro