TheBanyanTree: Life Stories 108

Tobie Shapiro tobie at shpilchas.net
Tue Jan 2 08:03:25 PST 2007

January 2, 2000000007

Dear You,

	Meyshe goes back to school today.  This means I had to get up
extra early and make his lunch.  He could probably make it himself,
but I don't want him chopping around with knives early in the morning
before his medication takes effect.  Don't you think that wise?  Here
is where what is safe conflicts with what he needs to learn to be
independent some day.  I have to remind myself that all these things
happen eventually, and that he progresses.  It wasn't long ago that I
would have had to hire a sitter to stay with him if I were going down
to the store for a loaf of bread.  Now, I can leave Meyshe for a few
hours at a time, and he's fine.  I never dreamed this would happen,
but it has.  So there will be a time when he's safe with knives
before his meds have taken effect, and he'll learn to make his own
lunch, his own dinner even.  He'll be turning on the stove, the
burners, wielding cleavers, boiling water, and I won't even have to
be there to supervise.  Exquisite patience is needed to raise any
child, not just an autistic one.  And the rewards of patience are
exquisite.

                                vvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvv
                                  VVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVV

Catholic tastes

	Susie Marshall lived next door to us in Silver Spring,
Maryland.  She didn't go to the public school up the street; she went
to a Catholic school.  When we played together, it was after school
or on weekends.  And usually we were in our back yard.  We had a
swing set.  We'd sing made up songs substituting my sister's name for
the bad guy and ours for the good.  Dana didn't let me play with my
friends uninterrupted.  All of my friends were afraid of her.  She'd
tease, or hit or take toys away.  I have never figured out where all
her aggression came from.  From what my mother tells me, I think she
was born that way.  We do have undeniable personalities from the
moment we emerge and open our eyes.  All babies are different.
Evidently, Dana cried and shrieked constantly and by the time she
came home from the hospital, she had an inflamed throat from all the
screaming and her knees were scabby from kicking the sheets.  God
only knows what she thought of me, the interloper, getting in between
her and our mother when she'd had her all to herself for two years.
I can't have been a welcome addition.  I see a lot of our family
dynamic revolving around bids for my mother's attentions.  Her
attentions were so pure and healing, so desired.  All of us vied for
it.  My father was just the biggest baby.  The competition was fierce.

	Dana chased Susie and me and wouldn't let us use the toys
we'd chosen.  She'd just march in and say, "I'm going to play with
these," and we'd stand back because she resorted to hitting and
throwing things.  I wasn't on my sister's mind all the time, though.
She had her own playmates and amusements.

	Susie told me about Jesus Christ who was supposed to be, "our
saviour".  But I didn't know what, "our saviour," meant, and Susie
wasn't much help explaining.  She said he died for our sins, and I
couldn't think of what we'd done wrong.  I was only a little girl.
There wasn't much of consequence that I'd done so far.  And why did
someone have to die for our sins?  Why did anyone else even have to
suffer for our sins, if there were sins.  There was no equivalent of
sin in Judaism.  It was all a big mystery to me.

	Susie and I played doctor together.  I think we were about
four or five years old.  We got under my bedspread and took turns
taking each other's temperatures with a pencil, eraser side first.
If I close my eyes, I can see Susie's cute bare butt with her perfect
little hole in the middle, and I can see that rectal pencil going in.
I didn't put it in far, not even to the end of the eraser.

                                vvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvv
                                  VVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVV

Jack, Bubbles, and Shad

	Dweller and I had friends, Jack and Pam.  Pam was called,
"Bubbles," by Jack.  I don't know the story behind that.  Pam dressed
like a witch and had an explosion of black, wiry, curly hair.  Jack
was a wild man.  He dealt grass and acid, and had been in many a
dangerous scrape with the cops.  Once, he had to roll up his window
and eat the slips of paper on which he'd written his contacts'
information.  Right in plain view of the policeman who'd stopped him
for some minor infraction.  The police took him in to the station,
and when it was time to fingerprint him, the guy taking the
fingerprints recognized Jack from somewhere.  They were old buddies.
So the guy borrowed a bunch of other fingers for the fingerprints.
Jack loved telling these stories.  I think Jack was always stoned.

	When Jack and Pam threw a party you could smell the grass
from down the street.  I went to one party there.  It was pretty
wild.  People were stoned on one thing or another.  It was a small
apartment, the upper floor of a smallish house.  They had a son,
Shad, who was just six years old.  Shad's bed was a cubbyhole in the
wall between the door to the bathroom and the door to their bedroom.
During the party, they just took time out to put him to bed: gave him
a bath, got him in his jammies, read a story to him and tucked him in
to his cubbyhole.  Then they returned to their guests and the rest of
the party.  I've often wondered where Shad is now, and if he's a
Republican.

                                vvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvv
                                  VVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVV

Meyshe's big adventure

	We took Meyshe and Feyna to Oakland's Children's Fairyland.
Fairyland is a cobbled together amusement park for toddlers and very
young children, all on nursery rhyme, fairy tale, or children's
literary themes.  Everything is built of chicken wire and concrete.
In front of each offering (they're not really rides.  You have to
walk through them) is a little speaker with a tape recording in it.
You can make it work by inserting your magic key into the slot.  You
buy your magic keys at the Fairyland entrance for five hot clams.
You can bring it back on your future visits.  When you turn the key,
a voice comes out of the speaker and tells you all about Little Jack
Horner, or Little Miss Muffet, Alice in Wonderland, or The Little
Engine That Could.

	There's an Alice in Wonderland underground tunnel with funny
mirrors in it.  There's a long gentle slide built into a dragon.
Feyna and Meyshe loved Fairyland.  They didn't see any of the
cheesiness that we adults saw.  They were eighteen months old when we
took them this one time.  We were at some picnic tables getting their
snack ready, talking about how lucky we were that neither of them had
ever gotten hurt badly enough to have to rush to the doctor, when we
heard Meyshe's high pitched complaint.  He'd been running, one of his
favourite things to do, and he sideswiped the edge of a picnic table.
I picked him up.  There was a cut over his eye.  It didn't look bad
until his crying opened up the wound, the blood came pouring out, and
I saw right away he'd need stitches.

	We called the pediatrician to warn them we'd be coming in.
We called home to tell Alex and Ben what was up.  We packed our
things and drove to Dr. Rhea's office.  Dr. Rhea got out a plastic
board with an indentation in it the shape and size of a toddler.  It
had Velcro straps to keep a child from moving.  I thought, "Iron
Lady".  We had to put Meyshe on the board and strap him in.  He
didn't like that, but he seemed fascinated by what Dr. Rhea was
doing.  Dr. Rhea numbed Meyshe's eyelid and got out his needle and
thread.  He had me hold Meyshe's head still while he sewed five
perfect stitches into his eyelid to close the wound.

	I was thinking that Meyshe would remember this traumatic
experience, being velcroed to a board and having his eyelid sewn up.
And who was torturing him?  His mother was holding his head still.  I
was the villain he looked to to save him, and there I was holding him
down.  You can still see a scar above his left eye.  He's never
mentioned an internal scar.

--

Tobie Helene Shapiro
Berkeley, California   USA