TheBanyanTree: One More Voice

Pam North pam.north at gmail.com
Tue Jan 2 05:29:39 PST 2007

I've often found myself out shopping with friends, and while looking at
shoes (I tend to find myself doing this most with shoes - what can I
say?!?!) , I'll make some comment like, 'Gawd those are ugly!', or 'Those
are the most gawd-awful things I've ever seen', etc....

I try really hard to correct myself and reword my comment to something about
how *I* can't stand them.

The shoes  may not *really* be ugly!  It's just MY lone little opinion of
them!  Who am *I* to judge shoes unattractive?!?!

And I feel that way towards politicians as well.  *I* don't have to like
them; I don't have to agree with any of their policies; I don't have to vote
for them!  Because, in *my* opinion, while I might think they are evil
incarnate, I know that there is somebody else out there who has a totally
different viewpoint.  And my feeling is, who am *I* to make the final
judgement call?!  About shoes, or anybody or anything else.

But, I'm a pretty non-political kind of chick.  I find I don't have a lot of
faith in anybody who works around Washington, DC!   And again, that's just
me!  I do have a friend from another list, and she is VERY political.  She
is very aware of her surroundings, and she has very specific opinions about
what is right and wrong - for this country, and this planet!  While I don't
share some of her views, that she HAS them is one of the things I love most
about her!  But we don't talk a lot of politics on that list either.

Because of the shoe analogy...  If she says (for example here!), "Mr. X is a
communist deadbeat", and I happen to LIKE Mr. X, then human nature (in all
of us I think) hears, 'She says Mr. X is a deadbeat, and I like Mr. X, so
therefore *I* must be screwed up'!!!  She may still get out there and tell
the 'general public'  NOT to vote for him, and why, but she doesn't try to
sway any votes on that list.  It's just NOT what we do there.

Sort of like a Catholic believing that Catholicism is *the* way to get to
Heaven.  Hmm....  so what happens if you're a devout Baptist?!  You're
doomed to the fires of Hell...??

I was driving the other day, and thinking about the words flying back and
forth here in the Tree....  and I wondered, what if I, or somebody else,
wrote a 'story' - either true OR fictional - about a sexual encounter.  And
was *very* graphic.  Body parts and lustful words in intimate detail.  Would
I expect that here?!  Probably not.  Would I think they probably should have
found another forum for their words?  Probably.

But knowing me, I'd have just hit the 'delete' key and gone on to the next
post.  And been a bit more wary the next time I saw their 'name' appear.
Hmmm..??  Do I *really* want to double-click on this one?!

There are people whose posts I just don't read.  When my mail opens, I scan
for spam first, and they're deleted right along with it.  And I wouldn't be
a bit surprised if there's somebody else out there who does the exact same
thing when they see MY name!  And that's perfectly okay too.

There may be some thinking right this minute, 'THAT broad needs to get out
and get some balls!!'  Maybe so. I, personally, am happiest with myself if I
can go through the day and NOT offend anybody with my opinions and ideals
and judgement calls.  After all, I'm just one more voice in a great sea of
voices.  I'm NOT necessarily right.

I spent a little more than twenty years in the Marine Corps of this country,
defending others rights though, to HAVE an opinion, and express them when
they wish!  And I happen to be proud of that.  I cheer others with different
views, and sometimes I envy their conviction.  But no, I don't think they
should travel to another country and express those views there.  And
privately, I wish they wouldn't express them here.  (Privately until now.)

There are dozens of places on the Internet that welcome opposing views!
Their sole purpose is to debate I think.  Just like others on other sites
and lists may read, what at one time, could only be found in Penthouse
Forum.

But then again, this is all just my opinion....

Pam