TheBanyanTree: The State of My World as of Thursday Afternoon

Roger Pye pyewood at pcug.org.au
Sun Feb 25 03:46:43 PST 2007

1986 when I attained the dizzy height of warrant officer in the RAAF I
was selected by those in power at Air Force Office (HQ) in Canberra to
head a team of software writers. Our task? To begin to computerise the
squadron admin echelons thus releasing much needed bodies from the blunt
end and sending them to more operational positions. In true air force
style however no-one told me any of this when I was moved from one
directorate to another - one building to another, as it happened.
Instead, after a couple of months doing something completely different
and very boring I was sent on an Introduction to Computing course at
Laverton in Victoria. The first morning we were ushered into a classroom
set up with half a dozen machines which looked very like typewriters,
each had a monitor behind it. I don't remember where the 'boxes' were -
or even if there were any!  Zenix, we were told, state of the art, we
were told, and for five days we learned how to operate them. Then I went
home to the National Capital and the others melted away wherever. I
don't recall I ever saw any of them again.

Time passed and things - and people - began to arrive and fall into
place. Somehow I acquired a boss (Flight Lieutenant), two senior NCOs
and a Leading aircraftwoman (soon to be promoted to Corporal), all
without asking. On a particular day several large cardboard boxes
arrived carted in by redfaced men puffing and panting as they manouvered
their loads off trolleys and on to the floor. After prevailing upon me
to sign a chit which proclaimed I was taking delivery of an NCR Tower,
11 monitors & keyboards, two printers (laser and dot matrix), numerous
peripherals and miles of cables along with several unmarked cartons,
they departed, leaving us to gaze in bewilderment at the clutter.

History was made that day but we never noticed nor did anyone else. It
was the first Tower delivered to the RAAF which in turn was the first
Australian armed service to use computers in administration and had been
doing so in the personnel and records directorates for at least 15
years. Mainframes, however, not systems like this one - and even though
it was cumbersome compared to today, it and its mates would
revolutionise the way administration was done throughout the ADF.

The anonymous cartons contained instruction books written by omniscient
computing professionals. Omniscient because clearly they KNEW without a
shadow of doubt that anyone reading the manuals would have the same
level of knowledge as they. Problem for us was we knew nothing - the
Tower was as far removed from the Zenix as we are from dinosaurs. So we
learned about the computer by operating it and we wrote our own manuals
as we did so. Over the next three years we taught hundreds of people
from the manuals how to use computers and travelled all over Australia
to do it. My time at the Directorate of Administrative Development was
the best job I had had in 32 years of Defence service - 12 in the RAF
and 20 RAAF - and I'll never forget it.

Or the Tower with its 80Mb hard drive, b&w screen, C prompt, a keyboard
which would break if dropped, a tape drive for loading or running
external programs, three software programs - Lotus 1 2 3, Uniplex WP and
Informix. For some instructional visits we used to take a 'six-pack'
with us - CPU, printer, 4 monitors, keyboards and cabling. With a bit of
luck we could get all of that and us too into a large station wagon.

One of the things I do today is help to manage the Canberra Environment
Centre - that's if a president can be called a helper - but I also do
the books. I go into the office a couple of times a month, plug a 512Mb
flash disk into a USB connection on a networked PC and record the
accounting activities. After saving the data I unplug the disk, hang its
cord back around my neck and go home where the data will be transferred
to the permanent record on an Intel system driven by a Celeron 2GHz CPU,
it has 748Mb RAM, 80Gb hard drive, 16 million colours, the Internet, all
the bells and whistles anyone would want.

But you know what? I really miss that Tower!!

roger