TheBanyanTree: Life Stories 162

Tobie Shapiro tobie at shpilchas.net
Sun Feb 25 07:52:22 PST 2007

February 25, 2000000007

Dear friends of the arts,

	Thank you for all the congratulations for
Feyna's finding a job.  I will tell her that she
has some people rooting for her.  You folks
always come through.

	Yesterday, I accompanied Feyna and her
inseparable friend, Alex, to some clothing stores
in the city (San Francisco) to buy her some
business outfits for her new job.  I was blown
away, not by the size and busyness of the stores,
but by the music they were piping in to them.  It
shook the building.  Honest.  And it was lousy
music too.  Can it be that there is a direct
correlation between how loud the music is played
and how bad the music is?  I think I've got
something here.

	We got her two blouses and two pairs of
fentsy slacks, one pin stripe and one flat black.
She looked very tailored in it all.  Then we hit
the shoe department at Macy's.  It was huge!
Covered an entire floor.  My mother tells me that
Macy's used to have a separate entrance for the
shoe store.  It was all organized by
manufacturer, and it was all so extreme: the
pointy arrow shaped toes and the stiletto heels.
I told her I would not buy her anything that she
could not run in.  She agreed.  She has no desire
to wear those high high heels, but there wasn't
much choice.  We couldn't see anything
reasonable, and I thought we should try to get
some help from some friendly salesperson.  I
approached this man who was standing among the
chairs where people were trying shoes on.  I
explained that my daughter had found herself a
job, and we needed some good sensible shoes,
because she might be walking a bit.  So no heels,
please.  I thought he'd smile and say, I have
just the shoes for her.  But he kept this
disinterested expression on his face and pointed
behind him.  "You could try that maker, or over
behind you, there's that one."  Then he returned
to his vigilant stance.  Has the practise of
having a shoe salesperson help you with the
selection of shoes come to an end?  Has civility
come to an end?  His attitude gave me the creeps.
We left.

                              §§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§
                               ÇÇÇÇÇÇÇÇÇÇÇÇÇÇÇÇÇÇÇÇÇÇÇÇÇÇÇÇÇÇÇÇÇ

Courting Style of Bernie Lustgarten

	I met Bernie Lustgarten, my second
husband, at a meeting of a networking
organization called, "Stebbins & Gold".  My
publicist recommended I join them to get clients
for handwriting analysis and any other thing I
might like to publicize.  So I signed up with
them.  I don't remember if there was a membership
fee.  This was 1982 and networking was all the
rage: know people who know people who, in turn,
know people who may know people who may help you.
And then, in return, I might know someone who
knows someone who, in turn, knows someone who
might know someone who may help them.  It was
like pitching the wild tangential.  You could get
anywhere from here if you reached out to a single
other human because all human beings have
connections.

	The first meeting I went to was a dinner.
There were two long tables set up elegantly for
supper.  At the head of the two tables and
between them, was a podium and microphone where
people could stand and deliver their addresses,
announce their needs and offer their help.  I
arrived early, because that is what I do.  I was,
therefore, present when the steering committee of
Stebbins & Gold were doing their last minute
preparations for the evening.  There were about
three of them and they were discussing the order
of the meeting.

	"First, we'll all mingle and have hors d'oeuvres."

	"Yes, and then who wants to call everyone to the table for dinner?"

	"We should  go around the table
clockwise, and everybody gets a turn at the
microphone."

	"Who's going to introduce the concept?"

	"I'll do that," said the guy in the dark
blue vest.  "Then what do we do to close?"

	"How about we all join hands."

	"Yes, and we can suggest they all feel
the power and energy passing between from hand to
hand."

	"Yes.  Who locks up?"

	I felt like I didn't want to hear that.
It sounded so hokey.  "Feel the power and energy
passing from hand to hand."  This was last minute
stuff.  We were networking as a religious
ceremony.  Praise be the network!  I moseyed on
over to the hors d'oeuvres table and swiped a few
raw vegetables, dunked them in the blue cheese
dip in the purple cabbage bowl.  While I was
experimenting with the crudites, Bernie came up
beside me and made some comment about the
appetizers.  I think I agreed with him.  This was
our first accord.  We were all called to the
tables to take our seats, and Bernie followed me,
sat next to me without asking permission.  One of
the ringleaders stood up to the microphone and
welcomed everyone warmly.  He announced the
procedure.  Everyone would get a three minute
stint at the podium.  We were to introduce
ourselves and tell everyone what we did, what we
had to offer and what we were hoping to find at
the gathering.  We would start at the head of
this table and work our way clockwise around the
room.

	"Please eat your dinners and enjoy yourselves."

	This is all like a dream now.  One
cockeyed meeting became the hinge to the second
marriage.  As they worked their way down the
table, I rehearsed what I would say.

	"Hello.  My name is, 'your handwriting
analyst'.  I am also an artist, a writer, a
composer, a cellist and a chef."  That shouldn't
be too obnoxious.  I admit that I didn't expect
much from the meeting.  I was there because
Bonnie Weiss told me to go, and I was pleasing
her.  Maybe there was an outside chance that
someone there would want to get her handwriting
analyzed.  They brought the salad.  It was
Bernie's turn.  He walked to the podium, leaned
over into the mike and a bashful, humourous voice
was delivered to all our ears.

	"Hi.  My name is Bernie Lustgarten.  I'm
a photographer."  He described his experience
with professional photography, emphasizing that
he was not in this for the weddings and Bar
Mitzvas, but for the art.  He did art.  He
started to back away from the microphone, but
came back.

	"Oh, and I'm falling in love with the woman sitting next to me."

	I took a look at the woman sitting on the
other side of his place setting.  She looked like
a suburban cupie.  Her nails were perfect.  Her
hair was perfect.  Not a thread was out of place,
and she was seated next to her husband.  I nixed
her as the object of Bernie's affections.  That
left me.

	He returned to his seat, put his napkin
in his lap and attended to his meal.

	"Do you want to talk about this?" I
asked, putting down my utensils and facing him.

	"How about we talk about it over dinner tomorrow night?"

	His approach floored me.  I'd never been
treated to so enthusiastic a charge.  "How about
we both go home, get some sleep, and you think
about it so we can be sure this isn't just a
glass of wine talking."

	We exchanged phone numbers.  Then I got up for my turn at the mike.

                               ÇÇÇÇÇÇÇÇÇÇÇÇÇÇÇÇÇÇÇÇÇÇÇÇÇÇÇÇÇÇÇÇÇ

--

Tobie Helene Shapiro
Berkeley, California   USA