TheBanyanTree: Life Stories 161

Tobie Shapiro tobie at shpilchas.net
Sat Feb 24 09:20:39 PST 2007

February 24, 2000000000000000000007

Dear surrogate family,

	Feyna got a job!  She found out about the
opening in the afternoon and went for the
interview at six o'clock in the evening.  She was
so nervous, I nearly kicked her out of the car on
the way to the BART station.  It is a job with a
household appliance company doing customer
service.  This is a perfect job for her, because
it doesn't require speed and multi tasking.  It
requires tact and brains, in both of which she
has talent.  I told her to tell the interviewer
that she is used to calming people down since she
has an autistic twin brother and has been
defusing crises all her life.  I don't know
whether that was what did it.  I think her innate
charm helped, and her obvious intelligence.  It
probably didn't hurt that she's gorgeous.  The
job is quite a ways from here, south of San
Francisco in San Bruno, but she can get there on
BART.  The hours are flexible, evidently, and the
pay is excellent ($17.70/hr. at first).  She's
excited.  I'm excited.  This must feel awfully
good to her, because she's been turned down for
much less interesting jobs, and was starting to
think she was sub standard.  We kept encouraging
her.  "There is a job out there.  Keep looking."
And she did, and there was.  Now she can start
getting independent.

                             ‡¦‡¦‡¦‡¦‡¦‡¦‡¦‡¦‡¦‡¦‡¦‡¦‡¦‡¦‡¦‡
                              ˆˆˆˆˆˆˆˆˆˆˆˆˆˆˆˆˆˆˆˆˆˆˆˆˆˆˆˆˆˆˆˆˆˆˆˆˆˆˆˆˆ

Bad Teacher

	Miss Mac Eninny was the meanest teacher
I'd ever had.  In fact, from first grade until
Miss Mac Eninny in the fifth grade, I'd never had
a teacher I didn't like.  Then this one came
along.  I put her in the same category as Miss
Baxter, the kindergarten teacher who hit me
across the face for drawing a picture of her when
we were all assigned to do a portrait.  Mac
Eninny didn't like teaching and no wonder, she
was teaching little kids in the fifth grade, the
worst grade of elementary school.  It's the age
when the girls have matured enough to form
tightly packed cliques that do social abuse as a
calling.  It is the time when the little boys
start spitting and talking nasty, hating the
girls and punching each other in lieu of, "How ya
doin'?"  We are an unruly, destructive,
inattentive and obnoxious group, the lot of us,
in fifth grade.  No more innocence, no more, "out
of the mouths of babes," moments.  Fifth graders
are a danger to themselves and others and should
be put in a psychiatric involuntary lock-up for
the benefit of society.  On the other hand,
locking them all up would be as a punishment, and
these new unsavory behaviours that have been
acquired are exactly what these kids are going to
need when fitting into the adult world, many
years down the road.  The teachers, in their way,
applaud the behaviour by letting them all loose
on each other rather than disciplining the cruel
behaviours out of them.

	"We like to let the kids work these
things out themselves," said a couple of Feyna's
teachers in the fifth grade.

	"Like, 'Lord of the Flies'?" I asked.

	Mac Eninny wasn't a bad seed like Baxter
was.  She didn't beat us up.  But she did a bang
up job of not understanding us, of applying
stringent and arbitrary rules, and punishing by
humiliation.  My hay day of high fourth grade was
definitely over in the fifth grade.  In high
fourth grade, for a month or so, I found myself
being one of the popular girls in the class.  The
boys liked me as well.  This is when Chris
Diebenkorn, Richard Diebenkorn's son, had a crush
on me, along with his friend, John Ritchie.  The
three of us played illicit handball together
after school.  It was wicked.  Came fifth grade,
I was back down at the bottom of the heap, and
Miss Mac Eninny should have seen this, but she
wasn't a keen observer of her students.  She just
applied the rules and assigned the homework.

	I told my mother that Miss Mac Eninny
didn't like me.  I said she was mean to me.  So
my mother went off to school to meet with her.  I
don't know why I didn't forbid that.  When the
parents go talking to the teacher, they all do
their grown-ups thing where they collude with
each other against the child.  Parents come back
from meetings like these telling their child that
she misunderstood the teacher.  The teacher
really has the child's best interests at heart.
"I'm sure she didn't mean to have you hold onto
those live wires while standing in a pool of
water.  It was a misunderstanding."

	In this case, Mac Eninny twisted the
whole meaning and focus of the meeting.  My
mother came back saying that Mac Eninny was
concerned that I didn't read enough.  I was
behind in my reading assignments and didn't seem
motivated to catch up.  What could we do for
Tobie to get her excited about reading?  And here
was her solution.  Tobie would be assigned an
additional book per week to read.  Oh, just for
fun.  Reading is fun.  On the face of it, that
was absurd and just like Mac Eninny's way of
thinking.  Tobie's behind in her reading and
doesn't enjoy the books the class is assigned, so
give her more of the same.  Have her trudge
through the stuff on all fours being denied food
and water until she finishes, "The Secret of
Blithe Hall," "Andy's Dogs," and, "Jonathan the
Bold," then hands in a five paragraph book report
on all of them.  She has a week to finish.  And
don't forget that she has to keep up with the
class assignments in, "Black Beauty's Colt."
It's only a couple of chapters a night.  Well
within her capabilities.  Yes, Tobie will love
reading after this.  More like getting someone to
stop smoking by slamming twenty cigarettes in his
mouth and lighting them all at the same time.

	I avoided the new books Mac Eninny had
selected just for me.  I stacked them neatly in
my room, next to the bed along with the other
onerous tasks, and didn't touch them even to read
on the inside cover when the library wanted them
back.  The library at John Muir Elementary School
was a large room lined with bookcases.  I think
they organized it by developmental
appropriateness.  So all the fifth grade books
would be together.  The next phase of my
punishment was to have me go to the library and
choose a couple of books myself.  I remember
going there during lunch hour, and reading the
titles of the fifth grade selections.  They were
all awful:  stories about heroic children who
accomplished something against all odds, or about
a ten year old hospital candy striper who saved
the day, a lot of animal books.  Most of the
books were about boys  (something to identify
with).  I couldn't find anything I wanted to
read.  What I wanted to do was write, but that
wasn't what this exercize was about.

	My reading was not deficient by any
means; it was just slow.  I went over each word
and made sure I pronounced it in my head for full
dramatic effect.  This could slow anyone down.
And I did it with a compulsivity admirable in its
zeal.  The fifth grade section had failed me, so
I wandered off into the forbidden sixth grade
shelves.  The leap of conceptual material was
noticeable.  The first thing I found was an
illustrated book about all the possible ends of
the world.  I landed right in the middle of
burning temperatures, parched earth, dried up
docks, uninhabitable terrain.  Remnants of the
previously vigorous civilization clung to the
edges of the fissured crust - a dried out boat, a
stray front door that must have come off its
hinges somewhere where the skeletons of houses
wound up.  I turned the pages.  Oh, here was what
might happen if our sun became a super nova.
We'd be here one moment, and the next split
second we'd all evaporate, sort of like the
rapture only with no saved Christians.  I closed
the book, worried, shaken by the thought that my
planet might cease to exist in a hundred million
years.  Maybe the sixth grade books were too much
for me.

	I came out of my visit to the library
empty handed.  There was nothing I felt like
reading.  I pleaded with my mother to convince
Miss Mac Eninny that I shouldn't have to do all
the extra work.  I couldn't manage what I already
had.  They let up on the reading, but decided
that I was bored with math.  I'd told my mother
that.  We had a, "Think and Do Book," the
workbook that accompanied the math text book,
which was currently drilling us on adding up
columns of three and four place numbers.  There
would be maybe five pages of these problems.  For
homework, we were instructed to do all the even
numbered ones.  The odd numbered ones could stay
there in the book, uninspected.  So I knew that
each problem itself was not vital to learning the
skill.  It was just busy work.  Repetition is
good for you.

	I loathed it.

	Loathed it.

	I could barely get myself to look at
these rows and rows of similar problems.  Add up:
3,276, 5,197, 689, 394, and 6,278.  Really
important work, I thought, as I butted my head
against it.  The solution Mac Eninny had to my
being bored with the math at that level, was to
give me additional problems to do, so that
whereas the rest  of the class was doing the even
numbered problems, I was doing the even and the
odd numbered problems, both.  See?  No more
boredom!

	This was right along the lines of giving
me more to read to get me to like it.  I could
not fathom how unfair this was and how stupid.
But the same sort of logic and educational
techniques are used today.  The difference being
that these days, after all the tedious busy work
is finished, there will be a high stakes,
national test on the material to judge if the
students are learning according to the prescribed
schedule.  If they are not, then the school is
marked as a failure and burned to the ground.

	Education has not changed a whole lot.
We've had sixty four crayons since I was a kid.
And the colours just get new names.  Miss Mac
Eninny was an ancient and vengeful beast.  I
hated her, and she had no way of altering that,
save leaving me the hell alone.

                              ˆˆˆˆˆˆˆˆˆˆˆˆˆˆˆˆˆˆˆˆˆˆˆˆˆˆˆˆˆˆˆˆˆˆˆˆˆˆˆˆˆ
--

Tobie Helene Shapiro
Berkeley, California   USA

tobie at shpilchas.net