TheBanyanTree: Life Stories 159

Tobie Shapiro tobie at shpilchas.net
Thu Feb 22 07:42:43 PST 2007

February 22, 200000000000007

Dear  You There,

	Yesterday morning, before anyone else in
the house was awake, I got up from my chair at
the computer, realizing that my left foot was
asleep, and walked carefully, very carefully to
the hallway.  But careful didn't do it.  My left
foot buckled and I strained my ankle.  Not like I
did last time my leg fell asleep, but enough so
that it hurts when I walk.  Well, so what, I
never did that much walking anyway.  This is a
lie.  I like to take walks.

	In other news, Feyna went on her trial
run last night for the prospective job.  The job
was going door to door in San Francisco for Clean
Water Action, an organization that is unfamiliar
to me, but evidently has been around for twenty
years.  They are a watchdog outfit that keeps its
eyes trained on the national activity affecting
our water quality.  While, I didn't like the idea
that Feyna would be going door to door in the
evening in San Francisco, this is the only
potential job she'd succeeded in getting an
interview for.  The trial run would take her into
the trenches, knocking on doors with another
employee, opening their discussion with, "I'm not
trying to sell you anything."  Well, actually,
that's wrong.  They are trying to sell something:
memberships or donations to the cause.  I figured
if there were something amiss at headquarters,
then she would see it and take evasive action.

	She came back late last night,
disappointed and a little angry.  She'd gone to
do their work, knocked on the doors, greeted
total strangers, and was thrown off a few
porches.  One guy even started screaming at them
that he'd call the police.  (Maybe they missed
that, "No Solicitors," placard next to the
doorbell.)  She said that when she got back to
headquarters, they told her that she was good,
but not good enough to work for them.  I wonder
on what they based that decision.  Probably she
didn't gather enough signatures and money,
renewed memberships and new memberships.  She was
very upset because she'd thrown a lot of hope
into this possibility for a job, and she needs a
job desperately.  I'm relieved that she won't be
traipsing through San Francisco at night,
interrupting people's dinners or quiet evenings
at home, annoying the hell out of people for a
good cause.  It's dangerous out there, and then
the coming home at 10:30 wasn't great either.
She'd have to take a taxi from the BART station,
and that would add up.  Nevertheless, it was a
good experience, I think.  Get her warmed up for
the next attempt.  Knock, knock.  Who's there?
I'm not trying to sell you anything.

fffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffff

jjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjj
                                   ØØØØØØØØØØØØØØØØØØØØØØØØØØØØ

What're You Going As?

	Halloween has never been my favourite
holiday as an adult.  I find it difficult to wear
a costume, as it's hard enough to try to be
myself without the added impediment of a
purposeful ruse.  Grown-up Halloween parties are
full of acting and posturing, even more than
usual.  And, in fact, I've not been a fan of
parties in general.  I get lost in the sea of
unfamiliar faces.  There is no harbor.  I pine
for stability, an anchor, a known embrace,
someone who understands me.  On Halloween, it
seems that no one knows anybody.  Plus there is
always the fear of sewing.  What if stapling the
costume together, or applying glue stick isn't
enough?  Then there's the sweating inside a hulk
of disguise, the many layered, "I fooled you".

	When I was little, it was easy.  My
mother asked me what I wanted to be.  I told her,
and she made it for me.  She was brilliant.
She'd take Dr. Denton's long johns, the ones with
the flap in the back, and she'd dye them all
sorts of colours, add hand painted wings for a
butterfly, turn them backwards for a kangaroo's
pouch, sew a tail on for a cat, staple stiff
triangles along the spine for a stegosaurus.  She
could do anything.  Then the most onerous
responsibility on Halloween was to have to eat
all that candy, and the discomfort of hauling
that heavy bag around.  Little kids can suffer,
too.  Hath not a little kid eyes?  Hath not a
little kid hands, organs, dimensions, senses,
affections, passions?  Fed with the same food,
hurt with the same weapons, subject to the same
diseases, healed by the same means, warmed and
cooled by the same winter and summer, as a
grown-up is?  If you prick kids, do they not
bleed?  If you tickle them, do they not laugh?
If you poison them, do they not die?

	As an adult, I became the one who had to
pull the costume out of the hat.  And I didn't
enjoy it.  The closest I got to enjoying it was
when Dweller and I threw a Halloween party and
told everyone to come exactly as they were not.
I thought about dressing up as a crack sergeant
in the military, pulling my hair back tight,
wearing a uniform and barking out orders, donning
a lot of dazzling decorations, medals, stars and
stripes, saluting instead of saying hello.  But I
didn't think I could keep that up all evening.
Besides, there is a little bit of the commander
in me.  I was to discover that as I did my boot
camp as a mommy.  Speaking of which, that is what
I finally decided to dress up as exactly as I
wasn't: pregnant.  I wore a granny dress, an
empire waist, black with little red flowers all
over it.  I stuffed a pair of oversized underwear
with foam rubber and wadded up clothing, then
shaped it and tied it down for the pregnant
belly.  It looked frighteningly real.  I suppose
the fact that it frightened me so much qualified
it for exactly as I was not.  And oh, it
frightened Dweller, too.

	The one thing I knew I didn't want and
the one thing he knew he didn't want was for me
to be pregnant.  We were very very careful about
birth control.  At first, I was on the pill just
like everyone else.  Those were in the days that
the pill was primitive, and the doses of hormones
were gross.  I reacted very strongly to the pill.
First, I gained a lot of weight, which made me
look pregnant.  Now what was the point in that?
Then my skin dried out and I acquired some
fantastic headaches.  I was fatigued all the
time, dragging my feet.  And I lost my sex drive.
Indeed, what was the point in THAT!?  So, I
removed myself from the pill and got fitted for a
diaphragm.  Then, sex was always preceded by
fumbling with the greasy frisbee.  When the
instructions called for a teaspoon of spermicidal
cream, I'd load in a tablespoon.  And when they
called for leaving the diaphragm in for four
hours, I'd leave it in for a day.  Just to be
sure, you see.  So pregnant was exactly as I was
not.  And it was actually fun parading around in
this artificial protuberance.  Those who knew me
laughed.  Those who didn't know me congratulated
me.

	When the doorbell rang and the
trick-or-treaters were waiting on the stairs to
the porch, I stood in the doorway, back lit like
a Madonna, and the mommies and daddies gathered
at the foot of the stairs, urging their offspring
on to their duties, would gaze up at me with
warmth and comraderie in their eyes.  "When are
you due?" they would ask.  "Congratulations!"
they would beam.

	"Oh, this!?" I cackled, and I pounded the
protuberance with both my fists as if I were
Tarzan yodelling in the jungle.  They would
startle, gape for a second before catching on to
the joke.  But they'd walk away silently, a bit
shaken.  I'd reposition the huge lump and go back
to the party.  The abortion was easy.  I just
yanked out all the stuffing and threw it away.
No wilting after effects or tearful regrets.
Just fertile and foetusless again.

	One Halloween, Dweller and I decided to
give the trick-or-treaters a different sort of
experience.  We had a front porch that was
glassed in.  We set up a black light and I heated
up a cauldron of hot chocolate.  We arranged a
whole bank of styrofoam cups and a few opened
bags of marshmallows.  The ladle hung over the
edge of the pot of hot chocolate.  When kids came
to the door, I'd say, "You get hot chocolate with
marshmallows, but before we give it to you, we're
going to do a little magic."  My brother was over
for the evening to help us out.  What we proposed
to the clueless kiddies was levitating my
brother.  He'd lie there on the floor in the
front porch.  We'd put three people on each side
of him.  Two at his head and shoulders, two at
his waist, two at his legs.

	"Put two fingers of each hand under him
and try to lift him on the count of three.  One.
Two.  Three!"  They'd strain to lift him, but of
course, he wouldn't rise up.

	Then we'd direct them to put all their
hands way up over, "the body," and join  together
in a pile of hands.  We'd count patiently to
thirty.  And directly following the count of
thirty, we'd put our fingers back under my
brother and lift him up, which was suddenly
effortless.  This spooked the hell out of many of
them who would pass on the chocolate to go run
away, screaming, "Let's get out of here!"  After
our demonstration, we had true believers bowing
and scraping backwards down the front steps, and
walking away, sucking on their marshmallows.
Styrofoam cups littered our front lawn.

	After the evening waned and the trail of
kids in costumes died down, we were adults and
had to clean up our mess.  Nothing magic about
that.  Another evening come and gone, better
spent in the sanctity of a good conversation or a
huddle of chamber music.  What makes Tobie tick?

--

Tobie Helene Shapiro
Berkeley, California   USA

tobie at shpilchas.net