TheBanyanTree: A presentation - kinda long

Russ Doden Russ at nogard4cd.com
Mon Feb 19 11:20:37 PST 2007

This next Saturday, I'll be giving a one hour presentation at a
local Spirit Fair.  These events are gatherings of
metaphysically oriented people where there are merchants
selling their wares, as well as people offering services such as
tarot card readers, palmists, and so forth.  They have speakers
throughout the day as well.  As I said, I'm one of the speakers.
I have been a speaker at the last two events put on by this
group.  Here is what my presentation for this next event looks
like so far.  I just thought I would toss this out to the Banyan
Tree since I haven't contributed much over the past year.  I've
modified it a bit so it is more like an essay than a presentation.
This is because eventually I may submit it for publication in a
metaphysical magazine.

Creation is Your Birthright. Moving from wanting to having...

“Creation is Your Birthright. Moving from wanting to having.”
That’s a pretty bold statement to make. To use a well worn but
very appropriate expression, “Extraordinary claims require
extraordinary proof.”  Actually, is title is two statements.
Either one of them is pretty bold. What do I mean by them?  If
you have seen and really “bought into” any of these movies
(and/or books)-
                             The Secret
                       Conversations with God
                           What the Bleep
                        Down the Rabbit Hole
you know just how bold these statements are. You also know
that these statements are true.  If that is the case, I’m
“preaching to the choir.”  If you have seen these movies or
even programs like Oprah’s TV shows on The Secret, but just
“looked at them” without understanding what was being said,
you have been brought here for a reason.  Likewise if you are
just wondering what this guy is talking about, you have been
brought here by your own creative thoughts!

Let's take these two statements one at a time.  Either one is
enough to make a persons head hurt if we think about it.
Creation is your Birthright.  Wow – to think we have that
much POWER.  Well, we do.  We use it every day too!  How
many times have you woke up and thought, “this is going to be
a GREAT day," and sure enough it was.  Conversely, you may
have thought – which is just another way of saying you have
decided – that it was going to be a rotten day and guess what
you got - a rotten day.

In the books Conversations with God, Neale Walsch (or maybe
God) tells us something along the line of  “thoughts become
words.  These words create actions.”  This is creation! As was
said presented in Down the Rabbit Hole  “Most people don’t
affect their life in a consistent way because they don’t believe
they can.”  This is because the average person loses their
attention span every 6 to 10 seconds.  By this I mean that our
heartfelt focus jumps all the time.  We may stay in a
conversation with no problems, but how many other thoughts
rip through us during that conversation?  Our thoughts hop
around like Mexican Jumping Beans, going from idea to idea,
concept to concept, belief pattern to belief pattern.  To create
with our thoughts though, and this is what this is all about, we
must modify our thoughts and actions enough to make them
permanent.  If not permanent, at least be able to pull them up
on a consistent basis AND BELIEVE THEY ARE REAL.  I
have heard it stated many times, by scientists, philosophers,
metaphysicists, and even theologians, that our thoughts are
probably more real than anything else.  That is the source of all
we get, have and are.  We are designed to create.  This is being
recognized now by more and more people.

Does this mean we can manifest a loaf of bread out of thin air,
or have a million dollars in our bank account?  Yes and no!  I
say yes because according to many great thinkers now, it is
theoretically possible to just do these little parlor tricks.  We
don’t do it though because we don’t believe it is possible.  Our
belief patterns are so ingrained into the world culture that
doing things like this are deemed impossible.

Our experiences define what we know, and this is our
downfall.  To compound this, sadly, we usually don’t know
what it is we want.  Often times we think we know, but we
don’t.  We think we want something, and then something else
catches our attention and we are off in a different direction.
This is because our conscious and “not conscious” minds are
not in agreement so we give the universe / God / or what ever
we view as source, mixed messages about what we want.  If
we have drama as our focus – that is what we get.

If we focus on gratitude for what we have, and realize even
more of that is available, we get even more!  We all know
people who seem to go from one drama or crises to the next.
That is their focus.  We may also know people who seem to
“get all the breaks.”  You know what?  The people that "get the
breaks" don’t see it that way!  They KNOW that what
happened was supposed to happen, and they believed with all
their heart that it would happen.

You want an example?  I think I can qualify as an example.  I
didn’t think I had anything of any value to say to anyone for a
long time.  Several years ago though, I set about changing a lot
of things.  I decided I was on the wrong track and that I was
going to change it.  I didn’t know about all this stuff then.  In
spite of that, I was fortunate enough to have some very good
teachers, and some very wise people come into my life.  (I
asked for help and received it.)  It was a long slow process at
first.  I didn’t believe in myself.  I also didn’t believe that just
by changing my mindset I could change my life.  Remember
what I said earlier about holding a thought for only 6 to 10
seconds?  I should have been so lucky.  Over time, my
thoughts changed.  My words changed because my thoughts
changed.  Thoughts become words, and then words become
actions.  I wanted (through the encouragement of some good
friends and teachers) to start to help others.  The next thing I
knew I was teaching Reiki, Meditation, and Personal
Shamanism.  Did this happen overnight?  No, it was a long
slow process because I still didn’t believe this worked.  I was
encouraged to do more – encouraged by respected people as
well as by my spirit guides – I felt I needed to reach out
further.  Now, here I am.  I’ll let you in on a little secret; I’m
not through reaching yet.  This is just a step in the right
direction.

Did you hear one of the key words there?  Change.  Change
means we have to abandon our old ways of thinking – which
means we abandon our self-destructive thoughts.  This in turn
requires that we change our words.  One of the best teachers of
that is Don Miguel Ruiz with The Four Agreements.  When we
change our thoughts and words, our actions change.  As is
stated in Down the Rabbit Hole, when we change our minds
we will change our choices.  When we change our choices we
change our life.  This is creating our world.

One of the easiest things to create is our reaction to what we
experience.  If you think you can’t create a response, do this
exercise.  Think about something that makes you sad, how do
you feel?  Sad, right?  Now think about how you feel about
something that makes you upset.  How do you feel?  Are you
seeing what is happening?  Now think about something that
makes you happy.  Feels good doesn’t it?  Now think about
something that makes you feel very filled with gratitude.  Do
you feel that sense of gratitude grow within you?  Do you see
how you can create how you perceive something just with a
thought?  When we hold the “attitude of gratitude” in all we
do, we are creating.  As was presented in The Secret, and was
recently on television on the Opra show about The Secret, like
attracts like.  If we hold a feeling of gratitude, we draw more
of what we are grateful for to us.  This is often called the
Universal Law of Attraction.

What does this have to do with creation?  EVERYTHING.  If
we focus on lack, that is what we get.  Lack of abundance, lack
of love, lack of things, and so forth.  By focusing on a feeling
of lack, that is what we create – more lack!  The flip side of
this is by being grateful for what we have; more of what you
are grateful for comes to us.  There is a trick to this though.
We must do this with consistency, persistency, and belief.  We
must believe it is real.  The more we do this, the easier it
becomes.

There is an exercise that is presented in Down the Rabbit Hole,
and reinforced in The Secret.  When you first begin your day,
before you even get up, envision your day.  Visualize how
your day would go if you could script it.  Hold this
visualization all day, and pay attention to what happens.  You
will find small things happening that you created by your
thoughts.  The more you do this, the more you can draw to
you.  You can’t sit on your pockets visualizing though and not
take action.  If you do that you can have wonderful
visualizations while your house gets repossessed! Remember,
thoughts lead to words, then these words lead to actions.  This
is the sacred trinity of our creative abilities.  If we don’t have
all three of these working on concert, we won't see results.  As
a result of that, we then believe that this doesn’t work.  It
doesn't work; we just aren’t doing our part!

Sometimes we create things we don’t want.  Accept that, take
responsibility for it, and learn from it.  Often we have to really
look deep to see this is true.  With things we claim we don’t
want, we have to accept that what we are bringing to us, we are
at the very least co-creators of.  The fact remains that we can
create.  The other option is that we can sit back and let things
happen to us.

OK, are we all in agreement that we can create now?

Now lets look at the other half of the audacious thesis of this
article - Moving from wanting to having.  What do we mean
by this?  Think about how we state things every day - what do
we say?  I want

  Oh sure, sometimes we dress it up and
say “please give me”, or “if only I had” or other things like
that.  What are we focusing on though?  Want!  Lack!  This
means we are focusing on what we don’t have.  Remember
what we talked about just a little while ago?  Like attracts like
– when we focus on want or lack, guess what we get!  We need
to really pay attention to how we are thinking and wording
things.  If we focus on wanting to pay bills, what are we
focusing on, getting money?  NO!  In that example we are
focusing on two things, neither of which is helping us.  The
first is that we are focusing on BILLS, not abundance!  The
second thing is the underlying concept of lack!  Instead of
focusing on the bills, focus on having financial abundance.
Don’t even think of the bills.  Believe with all your heart and
soul that financial abundance is part of your life.

Sounds too easy doesn’t it?  It is.  This really does require us to
make a fundamental shift in how we see ourselves, our life,
and everything around us!  For this to work, we have to really
believe it with all of the power of our intent.  This is a bigger
hurdle that it seems at first.  It does work though.  Now, using
this example of financial abundance, let's continue with this.
We often find that our creation manifests in ways that we may
not expect.  Here is an example – I started to focus on financial
abundance instead of lack a while back.  It took a while for me
to get my focus held, but once I did it, several things happened,
all within 2 weeks of each other.  One was that my business
picked up – being self employed, this is very big.  A second
was that a business associate approached me to manage a
business he is considering purchasing.  He would be including
my business in with his.  This would benefit both of us, and
would include a salary so I wouldn’t be so dependent on the
roller coaster ups and downs of my business.  Lastly a third
opportunity involving giving a way for people to gain amazing
improvements in their health (and if they desired, help them
with financial abundance) was presented to me.  I could have
ignored it, but it was in tune with my core belief of helping
others is the way to help myself.  This comes from the
teachings in Conversations with God that says what you want
for yourself, want for others even more than you want it for
yourself, and help them get it.   Don’t do this with the intent of
getting the desired “pay back” but do it from your heart, really
wanting that for the other person, regardless of what it is,
finances, love, business opportunities, whatever it may be.

A big part of moving from wanting to having is realizing one
simple basic truth.  The universe will give us what we ask for.
Most of us don't know how to go about that though when we
ask for things we feel we don't have, or don't feel is possible!
If I say I want something, the universe says “fine, you now
have a want for that something!”  It has given me exactly what
I asked for!  WANT!  When we ask for something, we have to
really pay attention to how we present our request.  If we say
“I am grateful that I am having this something in my life,”  We
are creating the mind set that it is already in process of being
delivered.  Remember, like attracts like!

Perhaps the best way of doing this is to consider this.  If I hold
an apple out and you say, “I want that apple,” the universe says
“fine, you now have a want for an apple.”  Do you have an
apple?  No you have a WANT.  That may be a bit simplistic,
but I think it makes the point.  Now, instead of saying, “I want
that apple,” I say, “I am grateful that I have apples available to
me.” Even though I may not have an apple at all, I am coming
at this from a perspective of gratitude.  Now, from that
perspective and that thought, I say, “I’m going to get some
apples.” You may be thinking of stopping at the store on the
way home to get apples at that point.  It is totally within the
realm of possibility though that someone would walk up and
say, “I got some apples the other day to make applesauce, but I
won’t have time, would you want them?”

The big thing here is to realize that the difference is in our
attitude.  Instead of living in an attitude of lack, which draws
more lack, we start living from an attitude of gratitude.
Gratitude for abundance, love, peace, and everything else that
fills our life with joy.  Even if we don’t always feel it is really
present, try to come from that Attitude of Gratitude.  Know
that these things are just waiting for us to create them in our
lives through our thoughts, words and actions, all working
together to create our desires with speed, ease, comfort, and
joy.

Have fun creating your life, and having what you are creating!