TheBanyanTree: Life Stories 156

Tobie Shapiro tobie at shpilchas.net
Mon Feb 19 08:40:15 PST 2007

February 19, 20000007

Dear to me,

	Today, we U.S. citizens celebrate
Presidents' Day.  This is a minor crock.  It's
been reduced to a shopping spree, for one.  For
two, it is two Presidents' birthdays rolled into
one three day weekend.  It used to be that we
celebrated Lincoln's birthday on February 12th
and Washington's birthday on the 22nd.  Two days!
Then Nixon shoved them together on a weekend,
ostensibly so the populace could enjoy a three
day weekend.  But we all know that had not much
to do with it.  We got ripped off.  Where there
were two legal holidays, now there was one.  And
that was all well and fine for corporate America.
Plus, all the sales!  That's when the awful sales
began.  Buy buy buy, ye faithful buggers, buy!

	And the rest of you lucky people who
don't live in the Untidied States of Amurika,
just go about your business as if nothing at all
is happening.  Nothing at all is.

                         ®®®®®®®®®®®®®®®®®®®®®®®®®®®®®®®®®®®®
                         ÇÇÇÇÇÇÇÇÇÇÇÇÇÇÇÇÇÇÇÇÇÇÇÇÇÇÇÇÇÇÇÇÇÇÇÇ

End of an era

	I was thirty five and my marriage to
Bernie Lustgarten was working up to a resounding
finish: too many promises to me broken, too many
lies, his increasingly alarming paranoia.  This
was  not going to last.  To avoid the
confrontations, not just with Bernie, but with
myself, I would leave my job as a legal secretary
at five o'clock, and delay my arrival at home
until nine o'clock if I could.  I'd go from one
coffee house to another with my book in progress,
and write my heart out.  When I felt I'd used a
chair and table long enough, I'd find another
place to get a cappucino, pull out my binder and
continue writing where I'd left off.  I'd do this
a few times, watching the clock, worrying about
when I should be home.

	At this point, Bernie's long lost
daughter had come to live with us.  She was
twenty one and a citizen of another planet.  I
kept being surprised by her definition of ethics.
She'd want to go out partying pretty much every
night.  She held down a minimum wage job and came
home to tank up on food.  Then she'd go back in
her room, get all dolled up and emerge with thick
layers of eye shadow, mascara, pouty lips in a
variety of colours, foundation make-up to hide
her pimples and powder on top of that.  A little
rosiness in the cheeks.  The dress would be cheap
and revealing, but not rude.  She would say she
was going to a particular disco or another,
someplace in San Francisco.  She'd rely on one
man to buy her ticket and would then discard him
for whomever she found for the night's fun.

	I questioned her about the morality of
such a move.  The only argument that worked even
partially was, "What if someone did that to you?"
She actually thought about that, and her jaunts
into the city were now fun, but with a little
guilt thrown in.  She never brought home strange
men, but probably would have if she'd thought we
would ignore it.  Watching her behaviour was like
watching the mating dance of a strange and
colourful bird: the strutting, the puffing up of
the breast feathers, the squawking, the fanning
of the tail feathers, the sultry dance of
identity, and then as if the prospective cock
were deemed undesirable, a repeat performance for
a new potential mate.

	Bernie didn't seem to notice what his
daughter was doing, what she was about, what was
going on in her heart and her mind.  He was busy
fussing over his own weight and avoiding work.
That was a full time job.  He took low level jobs
that paid minimum wages.  He was a bright man.
He would tire of them, finally quit because he
couldn't stand it, and then mope about saying,
"See, I can't even do that!"  His ultimate
nightmare was that he would wind up as a homeless
bum without friends or means of pulling himself
out of it.  And he had some of the appearance of
a street person, not like he was when I'd met
him.  He left his thinning hair uncombed, did not
trim his beard very well, and wore whatever was
lying on top of the pile of clothes.  A T-shirt
and polyester pants, dirty and fraying around the
cuffs.  The T-shirt never quite made it over his
round belly.  This was not really fat, but just
the shape he was born with, a protruding belly
and chunky legs.  The overall image was not one
of inspiration.  But it didn't lack charisma.

	This was the man who climbed into bed
with me every night and sought out, "Cloud," as
his spiritual guide, a guide that I would provide
him by faking that I was channeling Cloud in my
sleep.  This was the man who tried to choke me
while we made love, if you could call it that,
who assaulted me with filthy grotesque talk in
bed, the same man I pleaded with to stop it.

	It was not a happy marriage.

	One evening after work, I was
particularly dreading coming home to this.  My
ethical world had been invaded by aliens and I
was supposed to cook dinner for them.  They were
the closest people in my life, or at least the
ones I saw the most.

	Who were the people in my life?  My
mother, unfortunately my father, my sister and
brother whom I saw only rarely, Yvonne who was
busy working, and my grandparents, Fannie and
Benny.  I was lucky to have them still around
while I was in my mid thirties.  Grandma would
tell me, "Never give up the ship.  My little ship
sails out to sea and someday it will come home to
me.  It will come home, Tobie dear.  It will come
home.  Never give up the ship."  And Grampa saved
my life a hundred times just by being the only
man in my life I could trust.  That night, Grampa
was due to come home from the hospital, and I
wanted to be at home when they released him, so I
could hear his sweet voice tell me he loved me
and that the world was a fair place.

	When I left work that night, I drove a
distance from Zebrack's office and stopped in a
cafe to write.  I was writing a book about my
previous life with cocaine.  It was full of
action and degradation, a keen eye into my own
frailties.  It was like a pilgrim's progress and
the writing of it was exorcizing all sorts of
nasty demons that had been lurking in my skull
ready to insult me at every turn.  I was filling
up binder after binder of this.  It was the only
part of my day I relished.

	After about an hour and a half in the
cafe, I saw the waitress eyeing me while I nursed
my cappucino.  I'd worn out my welcome.  The
meter was up, so I arose, went to the car and
drove somewhere else to write.  I settled in,
took out my pen, began to write, and was accosted
by a man at the next table.  He asked me what I
was writing and if I'd been published, a question
I always hated.  Then, he started wandering off
into personal details of his own life, his first
marriage, his ex-girlfriend, what he thought of
President Reagan, how much money he had.  Do I
write for an audience?  Who is my audience?  And
not feeling like I could tell him, politely, to
stuff it, I gathered up my tablet, got into my
car again and drove off.

	I found another place.  This time, I got
a soda.  How long can you rent a table with just
a soda?  I stayed until eight o'clock, then I
drove to a K-mart to buy myself another tablet.
I stood in front of the school supplies, going
over each possible selection as if the world
could turn on my decision.  Finally, I picked up
a nice thick spiral binder and walked to the
check out counter.  I stood in a long line trying
not to read the junk tabloids stacked in their
stands with their kitchy headlines blaring out
the latest on the world's fattest man, a cream
puff diet, how the hottest Hollywood marriage was
being thrown up on the rocks.  I wanted to get
out of there so I could go home and talk to
Grampa on the phone.  The line inched forward.
That made me one inch closer to having to exist
in the same room as my husband.  As soon as I
paid for the binder, I rushed out to the car and
headed home.  I would have to say hello to Bernie
and his daughter, Alexis.  I would be outnumbered.

	I opened the front door and went directly
to the bedroom where I peeled off my jacket and
hung it up in the armoire.  As I was doing this,
Bernie came in from the other room and stood
there looking at me with a tragic expression on
his face.  He opened his mouth and began sadly,
"Your mother called."  That's all I needed to
hear.  As if I'd been struck over the head I knew
what this was about.

	"My Grampa.  My Grampa."

	He moved forward to touch my shoulder,
but I pushed his hands off of me.  I was furious
that Bernie was the one to tell me.  I put my
jacket back on and phoned my mother.  She told me
that Grampa had been putting together his things
to bring home with him.  The doctor had given him
a clean bill of health.  Then suddenly, he
dropped to his knees and was dead before he hit
the floor.  He was eighty eight.  The whole
family was going to Gramma and Grampa's house.
We'd figure out what to do then.  I couldn't get
Bernie to stay behind.  I didn't want him with
me, not for anything so real.  Something as real
as death didn't mix with him.  He was the stuff
of delusion, of half high dreams and ground up
hopes.  He insisted on coming and I didn't have
time to convince him otherwise.

	The trip to the house in the fog at the
side of Mt. Davison in San Francisco was silent.
I pulled up outside.  There were a lot of cars,
and the house was lit up brightly as if there
were a celebration going on.  I took the front
stairs two at a time, not even checking to see
where Bernie was.  The door was open.  I kissed
the Mezuzah before entering.  Everyone was in the
living room.  All the grandchildren, the great
grandchildren, even my uncle Harold and aunt Ruth
who weren't talking to my mother were there.  I
came up to Gramma who was sitting on the piano
bench.  She was ninety three.  I sat down next to
her and hugged her, kissed her on the cheek.  She
took my hand and held it.  "The things that can
happen in a life," she said to me.  She wasn't
crying.  Instead, she uttered a series of deep
sighs that broke my heart.

	"I lost my pal," she said.  "I lost my best friend."

	We sat there on the piano bench together,
she, holding my hand in both of hers, and patting
it as if she were consoling me.  The family
started talking about funerals and memorial
services, mortuaries, Rabbis, schedules, flowers,
choices of coffins, who would perform which duty
so that this miserable ship could move forward in
brackish water.  I wished they'd stop.  I wanted
everyone to stop and honour Gramma.  She sat
there, her feet not reaching the floor, made
smaller, even smaller than the four foot ten
inches of her.  I could see that the discussion
going on was just noise to her.  She was
elsewhere, as was I.  Then she turned to me and
whispered, "From now on, I'm going to turn my
hearing aids off during the day and turn them on
during the night, so I can listen only to what I
want to listen to."  I squeezed her hand.

	No one wanted to leave Gramma and Aunt
Belle alone in the house that night.  I
volunteered to stay and provide company.  Bernie
said, "Me too".  So after everyone left, I pulled
out the hide-a-bed in the T.V. room, the same bed
my sister and I had slept in when we came
visiting from Silver Spring when I was five.  The
same windows were open a crack, and the same
billowy white curtains blew into the room, the
ones that Dana was convinced were being blown
about by the breath of the, "Beast from Twenty
Thousand Fathoms,".  There I lay, listening for
Gramma to call me, keeping my husband at bay.  We
slept on opposite edges of the bed, curled up
away from each other.  Why did Bernie have to be
the one to bring me the news?  I couldn't shake
the anger.

                         ÇÇÇÇÇÇÇÇÇÇÇÇÇÇÇÇÇÇÇÇÇÇÇÇÇÇÇÇÇÇÇÇÇÇÇÇ
--

Tobie Helene Shapiro