TheBanyanTree: Life Stories 147

Tobie Shapiro tobie at shpilchas.net
Sat Feb 10 08:56:24 PST 2007

February 10, 20000000000007

Dear Throng what Ong,

	Yesterday I went to see my therapist.  I
sat there the whole time crying.  What did you
cry about, Tobie?  I cried about my fears for the
future.  My financial situation after the
settlement is going to be dire.  I don't know how
I'll get by.  My kids need several hundred
dollars every month in medications alone.  And
then, I cried because I'm afraid that the stress
and battering of the last few years is going to
squeeze out of me the last of my spark, leave me
bitter and somber.  There was a time after
villainman left that I'd go in to my therapist
and cry for the whole hour, every time.  For
months, this went on.  I couldn't stop.  I was a
fountain.  The tears just wouldn't stop.  In a
way I marvelled at it.  I wondered if it would
ever end.  But eventually it did, little by
little.  Now it's been months since I've wept in
there.  But yesterday was the exception.  I felt
like apologizing.  Don't want to make the shrink
feel inadequate.  You know the old saying, "If
you don't look good, we don't look good."

                        ß‚‚‚‚‚‚‚‚‚‚ß‚‚‚‚‚‚‚‚‚‚‚‚ß‚‚‚‚‚‚‚‚‚‚‚ß‚‚‚‚‚‚‚‚‚‚‚ß
                        ßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßß

Life in the bowl

	In Silver Spring, Maryland, the family
bathroom was tiled in a deep burgundy with baby
blue accents.  I liked it even when I was only
three years old, because it was rich and thick
with colour.  The squares on their points all
along the walls, interspersed with blue triangles
and  trim pleased me.  It was something to look
at while doing what needed to be done.

	When it was still fairly new to me, I was
sitting on the toilet, waiting for something to
come out.  To pass the time, I let my legs dangle
and swing with the tiles as a background.  Other
things I could do while waiting was count the
tiles.  I could also look up at the ceiling and
stare at the light until I could see it in front
of me even when I looked away.  There was also
playing with the toilet paper: winding it and
unwinding it.  I could even spin it fast and
watch the ribbon of paper gather on the floor.

	Well, I did my work, wiped as best I
could, then got up to flush and examine my
product.  WOW!  There were all kinds of little
wiggly things coming out of the feces, waving
around in the water.  They were alive.  This was
exciting!  I loved it.  I called my mother to
come see what I could do and the next thing you
know, I'm in the car on the way to the doctor to
get some vile medicine to make the wiggly things
go away.  My mother said they were worms,
parasites, and she made me wash my hands really
carefully and frequently after that.  I never saw
such a fantastic show in the toilet bowl ever
again.

                        ß‚‚‚‚‚‚‚‚‚‚ß‚‚‚‚‚‚‚‚‚‚‚‚ß‚‚‚‚‚‚‚‚‚‚‚ß‚‚‚‚‚‚‚‚‚‚‚ß
                        ßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßß

My hero

	When I was ten years old, Pablo Casals
came to Berkeley to give a master class.  He was
the greatest cellist of the twentieth century,
not just for his technique, but for his humanity.
He was my hero.  He refused to play for fascists
or dictators of any kind.  He used his prestige
and fame for good causes, the first performer in
modern times to do that on a worldwide scale.

	This was 1960, and he was already a
little old man.  I'd seen pictures of him playing
the cello and conducting.  He was short and round
and bald and had a mole on his crown.  He'd
married one of his students in 1957.  She was
something like forty years younger than he.  He
told her that he was an old man and couldn't do
those things that young men could do, but they
decided they couldn't live without each other.
Those kinds of stories appealed to me even at age
ten.  Everything he did inspired me.  I was awed
by the way he submerged himself entirely into the
music.  On a recording of him playing the Brahms
first string sextet, you could hear him groaning
and humming in the background, so they had to
stuff a pipe in his mouth to keep him quiet.

	His arrival in Berkeley was celebrated
especially by the Berkeley Cello Club, a loose
knit organization of young cello students
sponsored by their cello teachers.  A vast
network of budding musicians got together on a
monthly basis and played pieces that were
transcribed for an orchestra of cellos.  Some of
the members of the Berkeley Cello Club were as
young as six.  We were all eager and dutiful and
sawed away when we were told to saw.  Somehow,
some genius arranged for Pablo Casals to come to
hear a concert given by the Cello Club.  We'd had
a special arrangement of a Bach chorale scored
for the fifty little sawers.  There was terrific
excitement as we sat at our music stands, waiting
for the great master to arrive.  When he walked
in with his wife, Martita, there was absolute
silence.  All of us gazed up at Casals, our
legend, and our tongues did not move.  After they
were both seated, the conductor came to the front
of the room to face the orchestra.  The baton
came down, and we sawed.  We were execrable.  We
were doing our best, but the best wasn't very
good.  My skin vibrated with the electricity of
truly awful intonation, screeches and squawks,
the creaking of chair legs, the apologies from
various young cellists who had tried a note or
two that were deficient.  We all ended roughly at
the same time.  Then there was silence.

	I waited with feverish anticipation for
Casals to comment on our battle with the notes.
He spoke only Spanish, and had a few words of
English at his disposal.  He stood up from his
chair, making him not much taller than when he
was seated, looked out over all our expectant
faces.  He raised his arms and waved his hands.
"Beautiful!  Beautiful!" he said.  And I am
certain that he meant it.

	Then all the little people started
putting their cellos back in their cases, and
going home with their parents.  I grabbed my
sheet music and brought it with me to stand in
line to meet the master.  When it came my turn, I
smiled at him and handed him my music.  Confusion
crossed his face.  He raised his eyebrows at me
and shook his head.  Then I pantomimed a person
writing a signature on a piece of paper.  His
eyes focussed and he smiled with recognition.

	"Oh!" he said, exhaling, and he took out
a pen, then signed his name to my music.  He
wrote at an angle, upwards, "Pablo Casals," in an
even, well formed, legible autograph.  I kept
that piece of music paper, stapled to its manila
folder, and took it with me wherever I was
growing up, through sanity and insanity.  It
burned up in the fire of 1991.  Irreplaceable.

--

Tobie Helene Shapiro
Berkeley, California   USA

tobie at shpilchas.net