TheBanyanTree: Life Stories 140

Tobie Shapiro tobie at shpilchas.net
Sat Feb 3 09:36:27 PST 2007

February 3, 2000000007

Dear Good People,

	So, it's the weekend.  I wrote down my
list of things to do today, and it starts out:
Do nothing.  Rest.  Enjoy your life.  So I am
busy obeying that.  Then it dives into explaining
what is going on or not, today.  It says:  no
taxi.  no school.  no soap.  no worries.  And I
am reflecting on that.  I slept in until eight
o'clock.  Heaven help us!

                    ßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßß



Vogelsang

	Vogelsang was my sweetheart.  I got her
when she was a tiny kitten, a calico tortoise
shell, a beautiful little thing she was.  She was
very vocal, and very active.  I selected her for
her curiosity and liveliness, because she was to
serve a purpose outside of being my cat.  Bernie
had just moved into my house in Richmond Annex.
It had been weeks, and he still had his
collection of antique cameras, and all his
photography equipment, his stacks of photographs,
and all his personal effects all over the floor.
I'd asked him to put his things away, but asking
him didn't do much good.  He'd just say, "All
right.  I'll do it," and then he wouldn't.  So
Vogelsang's job was to act spritely among
Bernie's possessions on the floor, so that he'd
have to pick them up or abandon them to the
batting and leaping, the intense curiosity and
playfulness of a kitten who knew what a mess was
and was willing to help it along.  A week after
Vogelsang arrived at home, Bernie's garbage was
off the floor and put away.

	Vogel outlasted Bernie by sixteen years.
Our marriage was desperate and short.  A little
over a year after his arrival in my life, he was
gone from it, in all his paranoid splendor,
banished from my house, and moved into an
apartment in the city.  The divorce papers were
not far behind.

	Vogel was the best cat.  She was
affectionate and sweet, characterful and loyal.
She adapted well to every new situation, and
every new person who crossed her path.  She
stayed with me.  I was her home.  When we lived,
just the two of us, on Sacramento Street, we
would bed down at night together.  I slept on the
living room floor.  I'd fold a blanket up and lay
it down for a mattress.  Then I'd put a doubled
sheet down and pile a blanket or two over it.
There was a bed.  I'd crawl into this bed, and
watch late night television on the small T.V.
that I set on the floor about a couple of feet
from my head.  I'd settle in, and then lift the
covers.  Vogelsang would creep between the
sheets, spelunk all the way to my feet, then turn
around, come back up, and lie down in my embrace,
throwing her arms around my neck.  She never gave
me a moment of displeasure.  She's been gone now
almost ten years, and I still miss her.

	I had to put her down.  She had developed
bladder cancer, incurable, in her seventeenth
year.  I decided it was time when I had to put a
tarp over our bedding because she had become
incontinent.  Once, she squatted down to pee on
the tarp and I pushed her so she'd leap to the
kitty box I'd set up near the bed.  But she just
fell over, stiffly, on her side, and went into a
short convulsion.  I'd waited too long.  She was
suffering, and I was so fixated on not putting
her down too soon, that I let the right time
careen past.  I called the vet and I brought her
in.  She wouldn't lie still for the I.V., so I
had to hold her down while the vet inserted the
needle in her front leg.  I watched her eyes as
the poison was injected.  They stayed open.  The
vet had to tell me it was all over.  I thought
she'd close her eyes.

                    ßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßßß



Lao Da

	When Harry moved down to San Diego to
teach at Grossmont College, he left me up in
Berkeley, wandering around without a port in the
storm.  I used to go with a book to eat dinner at
the King Tsin, the first Mandarin Chinese
restaurant in Berkeley.  After I'd been in a few
times, one of the waiters noticed me.  He used to
give me preferential treatment.  He'd bring me
samples of new dishes, and when the bill came, it
would be for practically nothing.  I'd ask what
he'd done, and he'd say he wrote on the bill that
I'd had a dish of lychee, when I'd actually had a
whole meal with soup and a main dish.  We got to
talking.  He was fresh off the boat really, the
eldest son of the owner of the restaurant who was
a brutal man that my new friend confided in me
had beat him and his siblings into submission in
preference to reasoning with them.  Since he was
the oldest, they called him, "Lao Da", or, "Old
Big".  So that is what I called him.  He would
take me with him on his run into San Francisco
Chinatown for produce and meat.  He would drive
the big van with King Tsin on the side, and we'd
make the rounds of all the big vendors.  They had
a standing order with all of them.  He'd load it
in and we'd continue on our rounds.  It was not
long before all the vendors recognized me as the
girl friend.  They'd take me into the back of the
store and feed me from their private kitchens,
all the real food that you never see on the menu.

	"Have you ever noticed," Lao Da said,
"That there aren't many dogs in Chinatown?"  I
gaped at him blankly.  "The black shiny ones are
the best," he added.

	When Lao Da and I got to sex, we went
crazy with it.  He'd never had a lover before,
though he was no virgin by any means.  The
Chinese girls didn't sleep with anyone before
marriage, so he'd had sex with hippies, the
sexual avant garde women who picked him up hitch
hiking, and women whom he picked up hitch hiking.
And then there was I, a nut case for sure, but a
clean and intelligent one.  We made love on every
surface of the King Tsin's kitchen after he
closed the place down and locked it up.  I know
how close the Peking Duck came to being part of a
menage a trois.  We knew no limits.  But
eventually it all caught up with me.  Lao Da was
really in love with me.  And I was truly in love
with Harry down in the southland of California.
Lao Da was practically illiterate in English,
though he was plenty smart enough and would
learn.  But his world was entirely different than
mine.  He certainly didn't understand western
classical music, and could barely get the jokes I
whipped up.  The attraction was fierce, but for
the wrong reasons to sustain a long term
relationship.  Could he go to a gallery opening
and comment on the artwork?  Would he read my
writing and be able to grasp the references to my
cultural heritage?  And then, I didn't know a
thing about the structure of a Chinese family.  I
would be the foreign devil.  It was only what it
was at the moment, and would not last, but I'd
had a history of mistaking wild affairs with the
stuff of permanence.  When Lao Da asked me to
marry him, I had to say no, and he gave me a much
needed lecture on what I didn't know about love.
He did it in English, even though his wasn't that
good.  But I understood his wisdom.   After he
left and closed the door behind him, I put my
face in my hands and cried bitterly.

--

Tobie Helene Shapiro
Berkeley, California   USA