TheBanyanTree: Down the Drain

Margaret R. Kramer margaret.kramer at polarispublications.com
Sun Dec 23 06:52:56 PST 2007

On the first day of Christmas, amidst wet heavy snow that was freezing at a
fast rate as the temperature was dropping, I went down to the basement to
get the laundry started and discovered an inch of water or so on the floor.
Our main line had backed up again.  Darn!

Ray began using the wet vac and filled up empty wastebaskets and stuff with
the water, while I called the plumber.  She said it be about two hours
before he arrived.

I used the time by shoveling the two inches of snow before it turned to
cement.  I had to shovel our neighbor’s walk as well as she just went out of
town an hour or so earlier.  We have a combination driveway with her, so it
seems to me kind of rude not to shovel her walks as well.  A couple of
inches aren’t so bad and I got the shoveling done in about a half an hour or
so.

Then we waited and waited for the plumber.  Two hours went by and I called.
Three hours went by and I called.  Then I called another plumber who could
come after he repaired someone’s toilet.

Finally, the first plumber called, and said he was on his way.  I called the
second plumber, who was glad, because he wanted to go home.  I told him, “Go
home,” and he laughed.

Four hours after we made the call, the plumber showed up with his 400 pound
snake machine and went to work clearing out our main line.  The slippery
weather had backed up their schedule.  He said he had done six of these
already that day, so I guess we weren’t the only ones.

He went straight to his work and got the drain cleaned out.  I turned on the
dishwasher, got the washer going, Ray sucked up the rest of the water, and I
finally could flush the toilet again.  We were back in business!

After dinner, I hit the stores, since I figured the foot traffic would be
less at night than in the afternoon.  Target wasn’t too crowded.  I spent
about $100 more than I should have.  I absolutely hate Christmas shopping.
I hate spending the money.  I hate trying to figure out what everyone wants.
I always get a sick feeling at the cash register, no matter how much or
little I spend.  Probably of any part of Christmas, I could easily skip
shopping and getting gifts.

Then I went to Herbergers and bought myself a couple of nice sweaters.
There are some really good deals out there, that’s for sure.  And I bet
there will be some good deals after Christmas, too.  But I still hate
shopping.

I was going to buy the boys a computer and found a great one on craigslist
for $150.  I was going to pick it up yesterday, but the plugged drain tied
me down, so I wasn’t able to get it.  Now, we’re having a cash only
Christmas.  Part of my Christmas cash allotment was spent on the plumber.
Should I get the computer and not pay a couple of bills?  Or should I wait
and buy it in a month or so when our finances have settled down?  Good
computers for good prices are a dime a dozen on craigslist.

The boys are getting a Wii, so I don’t think they’ll miss a PC that much.  I
’ll miss giving them one for Christmas, but it’s me, not them that will miss
it.  So, I made my decision.  I’ll let the PC go and buy one when I’m in a
better financial position.

There’s a nice snowstorm sliding east of us, but we’re going to get a little
of it, as we’re in a snow advisory today.  We’re invited to Susan’s parents
home for dinner this afternoon, so we’ll be slip sliding along.

Ah, Christmas, with all its worries and expectations.

Margaret R. Kramer
margaretkramer at comcast.net
margaret.kramer at polarispublications.com

A Christmas candle is a lovely thing;