TheBanyanTree: From Little Dogs, Big Dogs Grow!

Roger Pye pyewood at pcug.org.au
Tue Aug 28 14:54:45 PDT 2007

In 2005 when our silky terrier Dylan Thomas went to sleep for the last time Robin and I made a garden for him in our minds. There in the green grass
and amongst the trees he romps and plays and sleeps, plenty of water to drink and biscuits to eat, a golden dragon at the gate to play with, all his
chew toys and the tennis balls he loved to throw about. On the wall near my desk we hung a calendar with his collar on the same hook. Within a few
weeks a yorkshire terrier, Miss Ruby, became a member of our family because Lucy didn't handle DT's going any better than we or the cats did.

In May this year Lucy joined DT in the garden and her collar became another part of our calendar Shrine of Departed Friends. Like you say the first
weeks after she had gone to the garden were terrible, for me in particular because she bridged the gap from before I met Robin and she had looked
after me so very well from Day One of our relationship. Miss Ruby was distraught for even longer than I was and so we talked about getting another dog
- not as large as Lucy or as heavy - maybe another terrier or a spaniel but DEFINITELY not another german shepherd.

Matilda lies at my feet wearing DT's collar as I write this. Black and tan, over twice the size of Miss Ruby who weighs about four kilograms, we
collected her two days ago. Ten weeks old and a typical puppy, into everything and it's all a chew toy. Two days in the big wide world outside the
breeding establishment and she's gradually learning about this new sort of dog she's never seen before - the cats are having a ball, not frightened
just treating her cautiously, rubbing noses now and then, gradually bringing her into their company. Tonight she and we go to puppy school.

She has the biggest paws I've ever seen on a German Shepherd pup, larger than Lucy's!

Roger