TheBanyanTree: Two guys, dumb laws and photo-evidence

Mike Pingleton pingleto at gmail.com
Wed Aug 1 18:40:44 PDT 2007

On 8/1/07, LLDeMerle <twigllet at gmail.com> wrote:

> Playing an instrument with the intention of
> luring someone into a store is illegal in Indian
> Wells, CA. - I can see it now: someone with a
> concertina standing outside of Frederick's of
> Hollywood batting their eyes. Lose the concertina
> and stick to lingerie: better results, I'll bet.

I have to admit I rolled the mental image of a squeezebox concerto en
lingerie around in my head a bit.  That's close to topless concertina
playing, which, if not illegal, is definitely a bad idea.

> Fishing in your pajamas is illegal in Chicago.
> -How about fishing in lingerie? Swimming with concrete galoshes?

I had to reply to this one, on account of the shade of Groucho Marx made me.
"I just arrested a guy for fishing in his pajamas. What kind of fish were in
his pajamas, I don't want to know."

Drinking beer from a bucket is illegal in St.
> Louis. -Apparently, bucket-tipping beer drinking is considered….crass?

Once upon a time, before steroids, gigawonga contracts, and the Men's Gossip
Channel (ESPN), St. Louis had two baseball teams. You could go see the
Cardinals or the Browns, and you could take your shiny Redbirds or Browns
beer bucket with you and have it filled up several times for the price of a
Coke.  Those were the days, or so I've been told. Beer by the bucket - I
find little fault in that, and can only scratch my head at any illegality.

Driving around the town square more than 100
> times in a single session is illegal in Oxford,
> Mississippi. - I think I know who's responsible
> for this one, but I am sworn to secrecy.

How does one drive 'round a square?  I wonder at the culprit too, and
suspect that enough circumnavigations might wear the corners down to nubbins
and turn the whole place into a roundabout.

Nice list, Linda!

Mike