TheBanyanTree: Two guys, dumb laws and photo-evidence

LLDeMerle twigllet at gmail.com
Wed Aug 1 08:51:30 PDT 2007

Two guys, dumb laws and photo-evidence

I remember hearing on a couple of occasions that
it’s against the law to put tomatoes in clam
chowder in Massachusetts, but I figured, hey.
It’s their right and being The Land of the
Puritans and their Nazi agenda, what else to
expect? I mean, any society that jails people for
celebrating Christmas is not to be trusted, anyway, I always say.
  At any rate, I slid into the website,
<http://www.randomhouse.com/crown/youcangetarrestedforthat/index.html>YOU
CAN GET ARRESTED FOR THAT, an apparent companion
to the Random House publication of the same name.
The site is a photo essay by 2 guys from the UK
(the authors of the book) who come to the U.S.
and launch into a frenzied crime spree to see how
many inane laws they can be documented breaking.
With photos, hence, photo essay, or “diary,” as they call it.

  A sampling:

It is illegal to peel an orange in a hotel room in L.A. - Uh
why?

Playing an instrument with the intention of
luring someone into a store is illegal in Indian
Wells, CA. - I can see it now: someone with a
concertina standing outside of Frederick’s of
Hollywood batting their eyes. Lose the concertina
and stick to lingerie: better results, I’ll bet.

  It is illegal in Globe, AZ to play cards with a
Native American. - I’m uncomfortable with this
one. I mean, aren’t; Native Americans oppressed
enough? We conquered them and stole their land,
including the many atrocities used to achieve
those, and we can’t even let them play Old Maid?
What happens if 2 Native Americans play cards together?
  Whale hunting is illegal in Utah. - Excuse me?

  Fishing in your pajamas is illegal in Chicago.
-How about fishing in lingerie? Swimming with concrete galoshes?

  Drinking beer from a bucket is illegal in St.
Louis. -Apparently, bucket-tipping beer drinking is considered
.crass?

  Driving around the town square more than 100
times in a single session is illegal in Oxford,
Mississippi. - I think I know who’s responsible
for this one, but I am sworn to secrecy.

  Sleeping on a fridge is illegal in Pittsburgh.
- Of course it is! The dust you’d gather up there is criminal, alone.

  Sporting a "goatee" is illegal in Boston. -
I’ll bet this is another Puritan thing.

  Hand-walking across the street is illegal in
Hartford, Connecticut. - As it should be. I mean, really!

Of course, I am sure that your first thought is
as mine was, as in, well, no, make that the
second thought, since the first is “How
ridiculous is that?” The second thought is, “Who
would want to, anyway?” followed by a wistful
fantasy of how the entire event unfolded complete
with sound effects and
why didn’t someone get
this on video? I’ll cut the ubiquitous Them a
break and give the benefit of the doubt by
assuming that perhaps camcorders were not yet
invented. Still. What could have been.

I know there are some weird ones out there, so if
anyone knows of any, please share them.