TheBanyanTree: Life Stories 203

NancyIee at aol.com NancyIee at aol.com
Fri Apr 20 18:27:42 PDT 2007

You were right on with this posting.  I have occasionally mused this  same
subject.  I, too, thought my life would be perfect if I only found my  soul
mate, my prince charming.  I thought I found him in my sophomore year  in high
school, but he was only after one thing.  I dated a different man  in my senior
year, and the chemistry was intense.  He did not want to go  steady,much less
think of something more permanent. He only wanted one  thing.

At my mother's urging, I joined a sorority when I went to the  university.
She felt it was the perfect venue for meeting the right man,  meaning, someone
who had the future promise to afford me. Frat boys. Future  doctors and
engineers.  They only wanted one thing. But, I married one of  them, the engineer
guy.  He was not too aggressive, and I felt I could have  at least half a vote
in serious matters.  He only wanted one thing , ,and  that served to give me
children. I was brought up to get married and have  children. So, I got married
and had children.  And raised them.  And  my husband, within the marriage, had
not a clue that he was no longer the frat  boy, and continued with his sports
cars and extravagant hobbies.  I had no  clue how to make a marriage, so I
buried my life in children and the raising  thereof.
  And now, decades later, we are divorced, and better friends than  when we
were married. I no longer have to worry about his extravagance and  dangerous
hobbies, and he no longer has to accompany me to the opera and  shopping and
kayaking trips or horse shows.
   I spend my people-time with close friends.  And, with one  special friend,
a woman, who comes as close to being a soul mate as any man I  have ever
known.  To be a soul mate, one has to have a viable soul, don't  you think?  And,
many men never cultivate that portion of their  mentality.
I have my special woman friend, and my ex.   And, I live alone  most of the
time and am comfortable in that.