TheBanyanTree: Life Stories 203

Tobie Shapiro tobie at shpilchas.net
Fri Apr 20 08:27:40 PDT 2007

April 20, 2000000007

Dear Willing Lagubriants,

	No, I have no idea what that means.  But there it is.

	Today, as I found out many years ago, is
Hitler's birthday.  It is also my sister's and
her husband's anniversary.  They didn't know it
at the time they got married, but they know it
now, because I told my sister one day when she
was abusing me, and I was scrambling for
something with which to fight back.  It stopped
the abuse cold, in an instant.  "Well, thanks,"
is all she said.  Then she walked away.

	Trouble is, it's no longer a surprise, so
I'm all set up to send them a few e-mail
anniversary cards today.  I pick weird and
surreal ones.  Cards that are funny because the
makers take them seriously, or cards that stretch
the mind trying to figure out what the heck they
mean.

	My anniversaries were on unremarkable
days to the rest of the world.  July twentieth
for the first one, July eighteenth for the second
one, and October fifth for the third.   Well, it
turned out that July twentieth was the day the
men landed on the moon (one small step for man,
one rehearsed step for mankind).  So that's out
as unremarkable.  October fifth always turned out
to be open house night at Alex's and Ben's
schools.  So that's what we did for our
anniversary: run from this class to that one,
villainman taking the science and math classes, I
taking the arts, history, social studies,
literature classes.  It was okay, actually.  We
were never very good at celebrating our
anniversary.  We'd go out to some restaurant that
we always went to, and order what we always
ordered, try to act festive, then go home and pay
the sitter.

	Now I have no anniversary.  One less
present to buy.  One less time to dress up and
look nice.  So there are plusses.

                                      ØØØØØØØØØØØØØØØØØØØØØØØØØØØØØ
                                     ‘‘‘‘‘‘‘‘‘‘‘‘‘‘‘‘‘‘‘‘‘‘‘‘‘

*°*°*°*°*°*°*°*°*°*°*°*°*°*°*°*°*°*°*°*°*°*°*°*°*°*

Finding the Man

	There was a time in my life when the
undercurrent and the overcurrent were finding the
man.  The drive begins with the onset of the
awareness of boys as that other species, the ones
we finally nest with.  It comes on slowly.
Usually the sign that this period of your life
has begun is a crush on some boy in class.  You
stare at him, wonder about him.  You fixate on
the way he looks and moves, his expressions, his
language.  I think there is an instinct in
selection.  We seek out people who share some
look or behaviour with those with whom we are
familiar: some look, some language, some gesture
that we can read, or think we can read.  There is
always that possible error in judgment.

	I thought I could read him, but he turned
out to be speaking a whole other language.

	The first crush I had that involved a
sexual zing was in the seventh grade with Ronnie
La Salle.  Ronnie La Salle was a thin, dark
haired kid with gangly limbs and clean looks.  He
was a little stiff.  He was not the class clown,
or the class intellect, the class leader or the
class jock.  He was a little shy.  His skin was
very pale white, with a few red dots of the
beginnings of acne.  He blushed frequently and it
turned him a vibrant pink.  You could just sense
the heat coming off of him.  I hadn't the
foggiest notion why I liked him.  I didn't know
him.  I didn't even know his circle of friends.
He was in my home room and English/Social Studies
class with Mr. Garcia.  On Joe Garcia, I had one
of my, "daddy," crushes.  I consciously imagined
him to be my father instead of the one that I had
at home.  Joe Garcia noticed me, and there were
rumours that Tobie Shapiro was teacher's pet.  He
held my work up as an example, called on me
whenever I raised my hand, and talked to me after
class.

	Ronnie La Salle sat a few rows in front
of me and closer to the door.  That mysterious
drive had me staring at him.  There was a sudden
burst of sexual adrenalin that went through me
like a shock of static electricity when he looked
at me, when he was standing close by.  I didn't
know at all what to make of this, and I don't
think I fantasized kissing him.  Just the
fixation and the electricity.  I wondered what he
thought of me.  Did he notice me?  Shapiro, the
teacher's pet?

	Our class had a party at one of the
parents' homes.  I cannot recall the occasion,
but Joe Garcia was in charge of the games to
amuse us.  One of the games started with a fleet
of balloons.  We were to pair off, girl/boy,
girl/boy, and put one of these balloons between
us.  The object was to pop the balloon just using
your two bodies: no pins, no pencils, no tools at
all.  Mr. Garcia paired us up.  He called off two
names, handed them a balloon and had them wait
for the signal to start.  He put me with Ronnie
La Salle.  I flushed red.  I chickened out.  I
refused.  Mr. Garcia was playing Cupid, but I was
not ready for phase two, which would be actual
social contact.  He urged me to play, but I was
resolute.  He finally gave up, found another girl
for Ronnie.  It probably surprised him: this
vibrating, obvious crush, and a refusal to go
near him.  But that's part of the first phases of
that era in your life.  That's the one where you
secretly like someone but never let him know.
Him knowing would be unthinkable.

	From all that innocence eventually
evolves a full fledged woman who has all the
equipment and is not afraid to use it.  It takes
time.  There are forays into exchanges of
affections.  This is where the feeling is mutual.
That's a strange development.  I was completely
unprepared.  I knew all the facts about sex, but
nothing whatever about courting.  A whole book of
rules applies.  No one knows what they are.  But
we are mortified when we transgress.

	It's from then on that the undercurrent
and overcurrent are to find the man.  The man is
not doing the same thing that we are.  We are
looking for the man.  The man is looking for a
flock of women, any woman who has legs that go up
all the way and a hole.  If he's attracted to her
in some way, so much the better.  But he's not
looking for someone to nest with.  Nesting
doesn't enter into the picture.  The primordial
drive is to impregnate, impregnate as many women
as possible.  That's how the species is
perpetuated.  And here we are, among the flock of
women, dreaming of forever, writing our names a
dozen times, substituting his last name for ours.
What would it be like to spend forever with the
man?  We are trained for this from an early age.

	When you have a fresh new apple, hold it
in one hand and hold the stem in the other.  Now
twist the stem.  For every revolution, count
through the alphabet.  A, B, C, D, E . . . If the
stem breaks off on F, you will marry a man whose
last name begins with F.

	Rich man, poor man, beggarman, thief.
Doctor, lawyer, merchant, chief.  Soldier,
sailor, tinker, tailor.  Count buttons, count
toenail clippings, count pebbles on the ground.
Land on, "Tinker," and after you find out what a
tinker is, you will marry one.

	For as many years as it takes you to bear
children, that is the number of years that are
occupied by looking for the man.  After you are a
mother, you take a fresh new look at the man.  I
took a long time to have children.  I was thirty
nine when Feyna and Meyshe were born.  So it was
decades that I looked for the man.

	My mother asked me, "Where do you find
these men?"  She was not smiling.

	"Leave no stone unturned," I answered.

	Yes, I found them under rocks.  I found
them behind counters.  I found them in the
process of farting their lives away.  My talent
for selection was notorious shit.  How could I
have coupled with some of those men?  Oh, well, I
fooled myself into believing them to be
brilliant, gifted, full of potential, maybe
misunderstood by the masses, but saved as gold by
me.  This skewed vision, I could achieve with
desperation and delusion: the two Ds.  There are
other Ds as well: death, doom, destruction,
defeat, despair, disaster, desolation,
debilitation.  And those applied, too.

	I forgot dung.  There was also dung.

	I never lusted after a man's body.  A
photo gallery of my, "the man," would attest to
that.  It was brains, ingenuity, personality,
integrity.  And that turned out to be defined by
all those Ds, as well.  The megawatts of power I
wasted, the sink hole of creative energy I
expended, the sentient synapses I lured into
somnolence.  The things I could have done with
the time I devoted to seeking the man.  The
wisdom trashed by that instinctive, consuming
drive.  I could have lived a whole other life,
ascended to uncharted spiritual heights, attained
unfathomable accomplishments.  But, no, I had to
seek a soul mate.

	My soul mate, it turns out, so far, is
myself.  The rest of the forevers never worked
out.  The fevered pitch of the full hormonal
quest subsides after a few decades, and there is
a chance, at last, to take a breath, contemplate
love as a higher plane, a sacred state, the home
of reality, the glimpse of God.

--

Tobie Helene Shapiro
Berkeley, California   USA