TheBanyanTree: Life Stories 211

Tobie Shapiro tobie at shpilchas.net
Mon Apr 30 08:37:36 PDT 2007

April 30, 200000000007

Dear Heads of State, All of You,

	Feyna's been working on a five page paper
due for her English class about current Asian
Stereotypes in the United States.  Most of the
students in the class are Asian.  Her thesis is
that stereotyping, though still present, has
improved over time.  She starts back in 1849 with
the gold rush and the importation of Chinese
labour to work in the mines, progresses to work
on the transcontinental railroad, and the
internment of the Japanese  during World War II.
Yes, those were worse days than now.  She got an
extension from the teacher to turn in the paper
today, Monday.  It was actually due on Friday.
But last week was devastating for her, and she
didn't get to it.  The teacher was kind enough to
take her at her word.  She'd been worrying
herself to death about this paper for a few
weeks.  Now, she pulled an all nighter and hasn't
slept a wink for twenty four hours.  She just
worked on the paper.  It's going to be well over
five pages.  She works so hard!  Her slow
processing gets in the way, as does her ADD, OCD
and anxiety disorder.  But she plowed through.

	The paper, of course, is of the highest
caliber, but it is late.  And it's not done yet.
She's going to have to bring in what she has (I'd
say she's probably half done, though she'd
probably plotz if she heard that.  She thinks
she's almost done.) and plead her case.

	I am so glad I'm not in school anymore.
Every time I see my kids hunched over their
schoolwork, I am filled with sympathy and
gratitude, both.  How did I survive the constant
crash and burn of my formal education?  My papers
were always late, too.  And they were of
similarly high caliber.  But I didn't have the
ADD, OCD, anxiety and slow processing that Feyna
has to deal with.  She's pretty brave.

                                    ‘‘‘‘‘‘‘‘‘‘‘‘‘‘‘‘‘‘‘‘‘‘‘‘
                                    ‡‡‡‡‡‡‡‡‡‡‡‡‡‡‡‡‡‡‡‡‡‡‡‡‡‡‡‡‡‡‡‡

¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥

Put That Thing Away

	After Dweller and I parted to go our
separate ways, he stayed in the house we'd just
bought, and I began to wander, finding temporary
places to stay.  At first, I stayed with Millie
Rosner, my cello teacher, nee goddess.  Then,
after she lectured me soundly, cruelly, in front
of a room full of other cello students, I slinked
away to lick my wounds.

	After Millie's public throttling of me, I
could no longer remain at her house.  Humiliating
me in front of all those fellow cellists was
inexcusable, even though at the time, I took on
the shame full force.  I was bad.  I was awful.
I was throwing my life away.  Thing is, I didn't
know what my life was, yet.  There was very
little I could do to find it and throw it away.
I was searching.

	Nearly  immediately following Dweller's
and my separation, Harry Lum, the painting
instructor at the UC Berkeley extension invited
me over to listen to music on his very
sophisticated stereo system.  He asked me what I
wanted to hear, and I told him Brahms, Mozart,
Haydn, chamber music of any kind.  I warned him
that I didn't like Boccherini.  Poor Boccherini.
Could he help it that his cello concerto became
an old chestnut, loved by some, reviled by
others, including myself?  Boccherini was a
cellist, and he wrote many difficult prominent
parts for the cello, mostly, as I saw it,
posturing, noodling,  "Look what I can do, Mom!"
sort of stuff.  So I decided I hated him.  I was
a young woman of definitive opinion.  No, I did
not mince my words.  So Harry Lum put on a
recording of a Boccherini string quintet.  He
thought I wouldn't recognize it, but I did, and
right away.  What a cad!  Of course, what I
didn't admit to him was that I kind of liked the
piece.  So there you have it, embarrassment all
the way around.

	One of the other students in Harry Lum's
painting class was a woman named Florri Aversa.
Florri was as funny as they come.  She did very
serious political paintings.  She said they were
awful, and they were.  Politics and art seldom
mix well, like religion and art.  You get
posters, propaganda, proselytizing.  She laughed
at her art work, and she laughed at everything
else under the sun.  So much enjoyment in a human
being!  She was the significant other of the head
of the philosophy department at UC Berkeley.  He
was not doctor anything to me.  He was Burt.
Florri was a junior high school teacher in Boston
and was taking a sabbatical for a year in
Berkeley.  She educated me about the women's
movement.  In Burt's house in the hills, a few
people had come over for dinner.  She was an
excellent cook.  Before dinner, while the coats
were being taken, she told her guests that there
had been a cat burglar in the neighborhood.

	"Oh dear.  Is everything safe?"

	"I'm not worrying about it," she said.
"If I catch her at it, I'll scratch her eyes out!"

	"It's a woman!?"  They sounded shocked.

	"Of course, it's a woman," Florri
responded, acting taken aback.  "Didn't you just
assume it was?"

	Ha ha!  The joke is a lesson.

	Florri knew a couple who lived in north
Berkeley who had a spare bedroom they were over
willing to have me stay in for a while.  A while
is what I needed.  I gathered my gear from
Millie's house, and brought it over to their
house.  I entirely forget the couple's names.
What I do remember was  how independent they were
from each other.  A married couple, they came and
went as they pleased, barely checking in with
each other.  It was a disturbing arrangement to
me.  The husband approached me on the second
night I was there, and asked if I wanted to go to
a movie.  That sounded good.  I accepted.  I
asked if his wife were coming.  He said, "No,"
that he was sort of hoping we could get to know
each other better, by ourselves.  It took me some
time to catch on to his gist.  I removed my
acceptance.  Maybe a movie didn't sound so good
after all.

	My head was swimming.

	At the time, Yvonne and I were playing in
a string quartet.  Yvonne played second violin.
Jeff Mark played first.  Yvonne was the far
superior violinist, but Jeff was the one with the
ego.  Our old high school friend, Julian
Woodruff, played viola.  Yvonne and Jeff were
carrying on a sort of courtship.  It was nothing
serious, but they went out, maybe even stayed in,
together.  After I split up with Dweller, Jeff
started flirting with me.  I was flattered.  Oh,
yes, flattery was a good idea when your life
makes no sense and you have no clue what on earth
you're going to do next.  Flattery is also very
effective when you've said goodbye to your
husband who made love to you once a month, with
his eyes closed, quietly.  So I batted the
flirtation back at Jeff, and the whole thing went
much farther than I'd intended.  Without our
having planned anything, Jeff was visiting me in
the evening at the married couple's house.  There
he was, in my bedroom.  I thought about Yvonne,
and I became confused as to how very interested
she was in Jeff.  It was convenient to regard
their relationship as casual.  I had asked Yvonne
about Jeff.  The flirtation between us was
obvious.  I asked her permission.

	"Why Jeff?  Anyone but Jeff."

	I was too vermischt (mixed up) for this.
Never make decisions or take action when you are
vermischt.

	Yvonne said, "Do what you have to do."

	And I suppose I betrayed her in some way.
It was eating at me.  Still, there we were, Jeff
and Tobie sitting on the single bed in my
temporary quarters, both of us knowing how this
script was going to play out.  Awkward is the
word that described the whole scene.  We got
undressed, each of us peeling off our own
clothing.

	And then I saw it.

	Jeff's personal penis was the largest
thing I'd ever seen.  It was grotesque.  Is this
what men think women want?  This is the feather
in a man's cap?  How could he cart that thing
around?  Did he have to buy it an extra seat on
an airplane?  Was he saving money for its college
education?  Did it have its own social security
number?  The thing was so enormous that no man
could have enough blood in him to achieve a
serviceable erection.  It was rubbery.  It was
frightening.  What if he decided to hit me with
it?  I could get an impressive head injury.

	My ethics returned to me immediately.
Suddenly, the attraction I'd had for Jeff
evaporated.  What I wanted was to erase the whole
evening, deny the whole entanglement.  I had only
one strategy left open to me.

	I pressed my legs together and told him, "No".

	"No?"

	"Yes, no."

	"Yes?"

	"No.  No.  I can't.  I just can't."  I
thanked God for the huge obstacle that prevented
me from betraying Yvonne.

	I did not tell Jeff what the problem was.
He was probably very proud of Mr. Winkie.  Leave
him his illusions of dignity.  I explained about
Yvonne and how I just couldn't do this to her.
It was true, too.  That shmuck punched a hole in
my sails.

	Jeff wadded up his equipment, loaded it
into his pants and went home.  I never wanted to
see another penis for as long as I lived.

	My senses came right back to me.  Yvonne
and I had always chosen each other over men.  Men
are transient.  Best friends are forever.  If
either Yvonne or I had had a penis, we wouldn't
be friends today.  Those things get in the way.
It's probably better if the man beats off in the
corner.  They keep busy that way.

	Spare me.

--

Tobie Helene Shapiro