TheBanyanTree: Life Stories 210

Tobie Shapiro tobie at shpilchas.net
Sun Apr 29 08:54:37 PDT 2007

April 29, 20000000007

Dear Signs of Life,

	We've been looking for a good Chinese
restaurant for Saturday nights.  That's our
official Asian feast night out.  Since the Shin
Shin moved to Sunnyvale, about forty miles south
west of here, we've been wandering around looking
for culinary harbor.  We've come up empty.  This
is an area permeated with Asians and Asian
cultures.  We face the Pacific Ocean, looking
west to the far east.  Practically every city has
a China town, or at least a neighborhood or
street where all the Chinese restaurants are.  In
Berkeley, the Chinese restaurants appear in every
neighborhood.  There are concentrations, it's
true, but they are as frequent as bus stops
throughout the city.

	I have gone by a good percentage of them
to collect their take out menus.  Then we go over
them to see if there's a hope that the place
might be a good substitute for the Shin Shin.
Oy.  There is a menu, recognizable to one,
instantly, which is from central casting.  It is
divided into appetizers, soups, chicken and
poultry, beef, pork, seafood, vegetables, or
vegetarian, hot pots, noodles and rice plates.
The same dishes appear, practically in the same
places on the menus.  The first thing I look for
is anything odd, anything that an Amurikun
wouldn't eat because it's too weird.  If there
are dishes like that, I look further at the menu.
Then, if it seems authentic enough, we go there
on a Saturday night, hoping for the best.  We are
routinely disappointed: sloppy similar sauces on
different kinds of protein, some
indistinguishable from the others.  Kung Pao
Chicken.  Kung Pao Shrimp.  Kung Pao Beef.  Kung
Pao Pork.  Kung Pao, everybody!  I never order
the cashew chicken, nor the sweet and sour pork,
the chow mein, or happy family seafood plate.  We
don't order sizzling rice soup.  We try to order
things, a lot of things, a really lot of things,
way too many things, that indicate to the
proprietors that we are not honkeys.  If they
have pig face and duck feet, tripe, or pork
stomach, I order that.  Octopus, preserved squid,
bitter melon, I order that.  The eventual goal is
to endear ourselves to the owners so that in the
far off future, after we have been coming
regularly every Saturday night, they will start
offering us things that aren't on the menu: the
real Chinese food.

	Well, our search for a good Chinese
restaurant has come up empty.  We found two
places that had menus with unusual things,
authentic things, on them.  One used so much oil
that, after dinner, you could slide out of the
restaurant on your oozing shoes.  They also used
way too much MSG.  Feyna got headaches and
nausea.  X that one out.  The other was good
enough, but the preparations were not
distinguished, clean, distinct.  After a host of
Saturdays, when they'd already recognized us, but
not gotten friendly, no special treatment, it got
boring.  We'd found the acceptable things on the
menu, and kept ordering them.  The meal each week
was like the meal the last week, with a variation
or two.  The service was sometimes awful.  The
best part about it was looking at the tanks of
live fish, crabs and lobsters.  The crabs always
had some interesting dance poses, and we could
count the number of fish that weren't swimming
around any more, just lying there, sometimes
upside down.  Hmmm.

	So we gave up the Chinese search, and
started travelling the forty miles to the Shin
Shin in Sunnyvale every three or four weeks. The
owners were going to retire when they left
Berkeley, but after a few months of retirement,
they couldn't stand it any more, and bought a
little business, a tiny restaurant, take-out
place that was a Bento-Box lunch time dive.  The
main business was in multiple orders from
businesses at the midday meal.  Twenty
Bento-Boxes, fifteen Bento-Boxes, thirty three
Bento-Boxes, ready in twelve minutes.  There is
barely any place to sit down in there, only three
tables, and not big ones.  They have to push a
couple tables together for us, party of four.
And they barely have the serving platters, bowls
and serving spoons to accommodate us.  But every
time we sit down to a meal there, the first taste
makes the long drive absolutely worth it.  Every
meal is different, new undiscovered dishes, new
untasted treasures.  Plenty of that weird stuff
that I look for on the menus elsewhere.  None of
the things they serve us is listed on the menu.
We are treated like royalty.  The proprietress,
Elena, talks to us for a half hour after we're
done stuffing ourselves.  We squeeze back into
the van and, with a noticeable added load, we
drive back home, thinking we could probably make
the trip every week.  It wouldn't be that bad.
The next Saturday comes, and we're just not up to
the drive.  (I'm the driver).  No one wants to
sit in the car for an hour and a half in the
evening for a meal that lasts an hour.

	 So lately, we've branched out into the
Asian continent, and have tested Thai
restaurants, Vietnamese restaurants, and most
recently, Korean restaurants.  We are new to
Korean cuisine.  What I like about it is that
it's hot.  What we don't like about it is the
dearth of vegetables.  What my mother, who is the
host, doesn't like about it, is the prices, which
are steep.  Last night we went to a new place
that had no English on their florescent sign
outside.  All in Korean.  We found it by the
address.  The patrons were all Korean, a good
sign.  The waiters and waitresses were over eager
to please us.  We ordered ox tail, beef knee,
cuttlefish, dried fish soup.  They brought us a
second dish of Kim Chee (Oh yum!).  Even as I
shoveled in the fiery cuttlefish (excellent), I
missed the Shin Shin.  I want my pork kidneys,
liver, bitter melon and thousand year old egg.
Old habits die hard.

                                    **************************************

ªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªª

Wasting Away in Seattle

	When the second quarter began at the
University of Washington in Seattle, I was barely
ready to go back to school.  I looked through the
catalogue to plan my classes.  As a music major
there were endless requirements for us.  I
charted out what I had to take and lined it up on
a weekly schedule, squeezed the mandatory courses
into the week and then turned to the catalogue
again to insert more classes that were required
for graduation.  I came across a terrible fact.
I was going to have to take physical education.
They wouldn't let you out of it.  I imagined
having an endless menstrual period to excuse me
from participation.  Then I thought about
breaking both my legs, but how long would that
last?  Eventually, they'd heal, and then what
would I do?  I squirmed and finagled, really put
my mind to it.  I couldn't bear the thought.  But
more than that, I couldn't bear the thought of
being in Seattle any longer.  I was depressed.  I
felt my life caving in.  All of the craziness of
my first eighteen years was catching up with me
as I trotted out into the big world.

	College was easy.  I didn't have to work
very hard to get straight As.  For the first time
in my school career, I started cutting classes on
a regular basis.  The first class I cut was
Italian.  I'd pretty much exhausted the other
popular languages to take.  Italian sounded good
for music.  All the directions are in it.  The
teacher was a bony young man, not much older than
the students.  He had black curly hair, black
eyes, really long fingers.  I remember his
fingers.  He wore slacks that were too big for
him, and his tie was always askew.  He had a
thick Italian accent, and honestly didn't know
how to teach.  He'd stand up there at the front
of the classroom with the blackboard behind him,
a piece of chalk in his hand, and he'd call out a
word, not necessarily a word in our vocabulary
list.

	"Somebody spell this word for us."

	He'd wait.  No one would volunteer.  He'd
point at some unlucky kid who would shuffle up to
the front of the room, receive the chalk and go
to stand at the blackboard.  The teacher would
repeat the word.  The student would give it a
shot.  He'd write it out on the board, then step
back, looking at the instructor for judgment.

	"No," said the instructor.  "Another person."

	The first contestant surrendered the
chalk and slinked back to his seat.  The next
contender came forward, took the chalk and
attempted an alternate spelling.

	"No," said the instructor.  "Another."

	One by one, a handful of befuddled
students tried to spell the Italian word.  No one
got it right.  Our professor finally went to the
board himself and wrote it out.  Everyone would
sigh.  Then some kid would always question it.

	"It shouldn't be spelled like that.  Why is it spelled like that?"

	"It is irregular word," he'd say.  There was disgust among the class.

	"Irregular?  How come so many words are irregular?"

	Mind you, this is coming from native
speakers of English, a language where irregular
words are in the majority.  Yet if you're going
to expect us to learn this freaking language,
shouldn't you make the words more regular?

	I cut Italian.  If I gave a glance at the
week's lesson, I'd still get As on the tests.
Then I cut English.  I hadn't read the assigned
chapter, anyway.  This all got to be a habit.
And eventually I did fall behind.  But I didn't
have the energy, the enthusiasm to catch up.  I
dragged my feet.  I moped in my room.  I crossed
the alleyway and came in the back door of Hillel
to mope in company.  I was getting lost, and no
one seemed to notice.  I wanted to talk to the
Rabbi, but I didn't have the guts.  What if the
Rabbi expected me to know something about
Judaism?  All I knew were my grandmother's
Yiddish songs, and how to read the Haggadah,
paragraph at a time.  I had forgotten everything
I learned in Sunday  school.  I was a poor excuse
for a Jew.  Did it count that I was having a hard
time remaining sane?  Did despair count?  It was
probably Jewish despair.  What could the Rabbi do
about my despair, anyway.  He could say, "Oy
gevalt!"  That would snap me out of it.

	It took the first couple weeks of the new
quarter for me to tumble down hill and give up.
I called my mother and told her I couldn't stay
at U.W.  I was crying all the time.  I couldn't
even practice the cello.  I wanted to come home.
I wanted it all to go away.  My mother thought it
over and told me that I could drop out and come
home on the condition that I enroll in another
school back home, and also that I would promise
to see a therapist.

	Yes.  And Yes.

	I gathered all my books together,
returned them to the bookstore.  I told
Rockefeller that I was done with his grant.  I
packed up and came back to Berkeley.

	Wouldn't you know it.  I was still miserable.

ªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªª

--

Tobie Helene Shapiro
Berkeley, California   USA

tobie at shpilchas.net