TheBanyanTree: Life Stories 205

Tobie Shapiro tobie at shpilchas.net
Sun Apr 22 09:41:50 PDT 2007

April 22, 200000000000000000000000000007

Dear manifold blessings,

	Oh, woe.  My meds haven't kicked in yet.
So I'm sitting here, listless, tired, still with
sleep hanging around my eyes.  I jest.  The kind
of meds I take don't, "kick in," they build up in
the bloodstream over a period of weeks and swarm
around at their intended level, doing their
business quietly, stealthily.  What kind of meds
would that be?

	Well, I think the day that villainman
walked out on us, I called the neuropsych and
asked for an appointment.  My thought was that my
imperative was to be a good mother, and I didn't
see how I was going to do that without
pharmaceutical intervention.  The good doctor and
I experimented with what seems like a hundred
different psychoactive drugs to find what I could
tolerate and what helped.  We found the cocktail
and I took it dutifully.  It's not like my tears
dried up, but there was a resoluteness that I
became capable of.  And that resolve is what
drove my engine.  Now, at last, we are coming up
to some sort of finality with the divorce
settlement.  The meeting with the judge is
Wednesday morning.  I'm scared.  My fears are
real.  I don't know how I'm going to make ends
meet after the agreement is enacted.  How will I
support my two children (adult children)?  How
will I be able to maintain Meyshe's therapies?
Feyna's therapies?  College for the both of them?
Will I be able to buy a house for us?  Or is that
beyond possibility?

	I intend to stay on my medication until I
am surviving this final stage.  Then I can wean
myself off of them and find out what's going on
underneath.

                                           ©©©©©©©©©©©©©©©©©©©©©©©©©©
                                  ÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂ

™™™™™™™™™™™™™™™™™™™™™™™™™™™™™™™™™™™™™™™™™™™™™™™™™™™™™™™™™™™™™™™™™™™™™™™™™™™™™™™™™™™™™™™™™™™™™™™™

The Night Shift

	When David and I found out from the ultra
sound technician that it was twins, or rather,
when David found out and my premonitive dream was
verified, we were in San Francisco.  We poured
ourselves into our car and drove directly to
where my parents were attending a laboratory
equipment convention.  They were at the Sheraton
Palace Hotel.  I don't remember the drive.  I
don't remember parking the car.  I don't remember
walking into the Hotel, finding the convention,
or looking for the LABINDUSTRIES booth.  I just
remember standing there with tears streaming down
my cheeks, telling my mother that it was twins,
and I was scared.  How could I manage?  Could I
take this on?  I didn't worry about doling out
the love.  I knew there was ample store of love
in me, that I would give it just as generously to
two babies as I would to one.  I worried about
the sheer labour, the work involved, the
overwhelming arrival of two new human beings
where I'd only envisioned one.  What about the
psychology of twins?  What about the effect on
our family with David's boys already gagging on
the complications of their parents' divorce,
feeling the terrible conflict, and suffering from
the jealous anger and sickness of their mother?
How would two new members of the family,
squalling and squirting, have an effect on them?

	I cried openly, standing there, facing my
mother.  I hugged her, right there among the
stiff scientists, linear, objective, brilliant,
unemotional, buttoned down and boarded up.  She
put her arms around me like she did when she was
holding me as a child, and she stroked my unruly
hair.  We parted to look at each other.  She
smiled and said, "I can't help but like the
idea."  That had never occurred to me, the
unexpected adventure of two vibrant new lives,
the personal miracle of all the growing and
learning, the sudden addition of two that would
multiply, exponentially, the complications of
human interaction.  I tried to see it her way.

	But I was still scared.

	She stepped aside and had a discussion
with my father.  She came back and promised to
provide as much child care as we needed, for as
long as we needed it.  She knew it was already a
monumental task raising Alex and Ben, and that
the twins would commandeer my spent life, carry
me away to the limits of my capabilities.

	I dried my tears, trying to imagine how
this would play out, given as much child care as
I needed for as long as I needed it.  I dreamed
of being able to take a nap, curl up and eat a
fig, read a book.  I promised myself I would
re-perceive this whole trajectory, how the arc of
my life story would be altered forever.  I told
my mother I would think about it.  And of course
I did.  And of course I decided to take this on.
I had two embryos implanted in the walls of my
uterus.  We let them grow.  During the last
stages of the pregnancy, I sought out referrals
for nannies, for child care, at first round the
clock, and then in a number of weeks, phasing it
out as I grew stronger and braver.  I was very
concerned about the night shift.  I didn't think
I could survive the nights, in the middle of the
nights, pacing back and forth, nursing endlessly
on top of that.  I got a solid referral at the
hospital from a maternity ward nurse for a woman
who specialized in twins.  I spoke to the woman
on the phone and arranged for her to do the
eleven to seven shift.

	I got a weird feeling about her as soon
as she spoke.  But I discounted my instincts.
Aren't we supposed to be free of instincts?  We
are homo sapiens, sentient beings who could make
choices based on evidence, data, demographics,
references, objective judgments.

	Besides, I was desperate.

	Margaret Archuletta arrived the night of
the day we returned from the hospital.  She set
up shop in the long, narrow study that shared a
common wall with our bedroom.  When the babies
woke up to nurse, she could knock three times on
the wall and I'd get out my dual breasts, ready
to be milked.

	Margaret Archuletta had a strange affect.
She spoke as if she were reciting from a book.
She had an unplaceable southern accent.

	"Mah sweet husband has dad and left me
with his estate.  I have ev-ery convenience a
person could have, includin' an Olympic sazzed
swimmin' pool, and a show case house.  I could
not want for anythin'.  Yet, Ah am the loneliest
woman alahv, and wish to throw mahself off the
bridge."

	Uh oh.

	I disregarded the warning sign.

	"Mah babies love me.  They love theya
Margaret.  Theya ah some parents accused me of
takin' away theya children.  Now, whah would Ah
wish to take away anyone's children when Ah have
all the comforts Ah could possibly want, and an
Olympic sazzed swimmin' pool?  All my physical
needs ah taken caya of.  I do not need theya
children.  Ah had a twin sistah who dad and left
a ho-el in mah haht.  She will nevah retuhn,
nevah grace mah life again.  Ah have taken on the
special caya of twins, only twins, to honuh huh
memory.  It is God's plan faw me.  Praise Jesus.
May Ah leave at faw o'clock tomorrah mawnin'?  Ah
hate the nat shift so!"

	This was a pile of words I didn't want to hear.

	"No, you can't leave at four o'clock.  We
agreed that you'd stay until seven."

	She grimaced and shook her head, muttered
under her breath.  "Vera well, then.  Ah'l stay
until seven.  But if the babies ah sleepin' and
mah wuhk is done, may ah slip out at fahv?"

	"No.  I really need you till seven.  We'd agreed on that."

	She gritted her teeth, stamped her foot,
then went about her business, setting up the
changing table.  I went to bed.  At two o'clock,
Margaret knocked on the wall and brought Meyshe
and Feyna in to me.  I was all ready with the
double nursing pillow, the back rest to prop me
up, the special nightgown with the two slits in
front where I could yank out my breasts.

	She handed me one baby, then the other.
I positioned them on the pillow and they latched
on to my nipples for their two o'clock feeding.
Margaret told me to knock on the wall when I was
done and she'd come fetch them.  Meyshe sputtered
and cried at the breast.  He had colic.  Feyna
was fine, sucking away, drinking her fill.
Finally, I knocked on the wall.  Margaret came in
and told me she'd heard one of the babies
complaining.

	"Ah don't lahk to say this, but it is
possible that yaw milk is bad.  Ah think ah
should bottle feed them."

	I told her Meyshe was fussy, but Feyna
had no problem.  There was no way that one breast
was issuing rotten milk while the other issued
good.  Then, when I switched the babies to the
other side, the bad milk somehow followed Meyshe
to the other breast.  Did she see that logic?

	"As you wish, Mrs. Shapiro.  But ah feel that ah must tell you."

	I told her not to bottle feed them
because they would find that so easy that they
might abandon the breasts for the bottle.  I'd
read about this somewhere.

	"Vera well," she said, and carried my children back to the study.

	About a half hour later, I got out of bed
and went into the study.  She was sitting in
front of the heater that she'd turned  up all the
way.  It was sweltering in there.  And she'd
gotten Feyna and Meyshe bundled up in three
layers of clothes and blankets.  She was feeding
them bottles.

	I turned down the heat, took off a couple
of layers from my roasting babies, took away the
bottles and told her that I didn't want her to
feed them by bottle.

	"Ah just thought ahd give you a break."

	I went back in my room.  I just felt
uneasy, though.  Archuletta was too strange.  I
returned to the study.  She had put the two
additional layers of clothing on them, had turned
the heater back up, and had a bottle in each of
their mouths.

	I repeated my correction.  "Don't do
that.  I'll come back and check on you.  Let them
sleep."

	"You know wuht is best," she murmured.

	At four in the morning, I heard her come
out of the study and leave through the back door.
I started to look for someone to take over for
Margaret.  I put in a call to the nanny service.
Help me!

	The next night, Margaret showed up at nine  instead of eleven.

	"Ah'v come uhly to prepaya faw the twins.
Since Ah'm heah at nine, may Ah leave two owahs
uhly?"

	"No, Margaret.  I didn't tell you to come
two hours early.  And I need you until seven."

	Meyshe screamed at my breasts again.  I
wondered if this would make an indelible
impression on him.  Perhaps he would yell at
breasts for the rest of his life.  The
pediatrician had given me some Belladonna drops
for Meyshe to settle his stomach.  Two drops
every four hours.  I instructed Margaret.

	In the middle of the night, she brought
the twins to me.  They were both groggy, inert,
unresponsive, limp.  I was alarmed.  They
couldn't nurse.  They were too unconscious.
After Margaret took them back to the study, I
came in five minutes later.  I turned the heater
down and took two layers of clothing off of them.
I slept in the study.

	She left at four, sneaked out from under
my nose.  I fumed.  Meyshe and Feyna were still
in a dead sleep.  I went over to the changing
table and found a note pad that Margaret had been
writing in.  The printing was angled, disjointed,
erratic, the pressure inconsistent, and here was
a great graphological sighting:  she was writing
in the tablet backwards.  Red flag!  Red flag!
Then I noticed the bottle of Belladonna.  It was
near empty.  She had drugged them to get them to
sleep so she could snooze.  I got on the
telephone and called the nanny service.  Help!
Emergency!  I called Margaret Archuletta in the
afternoon and told her that we had all come down
with a terrible flu and the doctor had
quarantined us.  She couldn't come.  Best not to
come.  Don't come.  She argued a little, offering
to take care of all of us.  But I reminded her of
the strict quarantine.  She lapsed into summoning
Jesus to bless all owah heads.  We finally hung
up.

	Every nerve in my body was juddering.
The adrenalin rose in waves.  The nanny service
called me that evening.  She was sending over a
woman named Wyda McDougal.  She promised me I'd
be pleased.  Wyda arrived on the front porch
wearing slippers with holes in them and a loose
house dress.  She introduced herself and asked to
see the babies.  I showed her.

	"Just tell me what you want me to do, and I'll do it," she laughed.

	Wyda was real, solid, responsible, warm,
funny, smart and unflappable.  That night, both
babies were crying.  We paced with them.  We
rocked them.  We patted their backs.  We sang to
them.  Nothing worked.

	"Got any other ideas?" she asked.

	"Well, I heard that if you throw a
knotted towel in the dryer and put the baby on
something soft and cushiony on top of the dryer,
the rhythm of the towel thumping the insides of
the dryer, and the warmth coming up through the
machine will sometimes calm a baby.

	"Ain't never heard of that before," she said.  "Let's try it!"

	We tried it.  Both infants were put on
warm fluffy towels on top of the dryer.  The
knotted bath towel thunked around rhythmically
inside.  The dryer vibrated under Feyna and
Meyshe.  Wyda and I started talking about how
awful President Reagan was.  Then we talked about
Wyda's family of nine children growing up in
rural Georgia.  I told her I was a city girl, a
neurotic city girl.  Half an hour went quickly
by, and we realized that there were no babies
crying.  It had happened without our notice.
There was no mother crying either.  We were saved
all the way around.

	I gave Wyda a raise.

	Gratitude.  Gratitude.

--