TheBanyanTree: Life Stories 204

Tobie Shapiro tobie at shpilchas.net
Sat Apr 21 09:16:54 PDT 2007

April 21, 20000007

Dear Souls,

	I let myself sleep in this morning.  So I
woke up at 7:20.  Pathetic.  Now Feyna!  Feyna
knows how to sleep in!  On the weekends, and the
days she doesn't have to be in school at 9:00
(all the way into the city and nearly out the
other end), she can sleep until noon.  I've known
her to sleep past noon.  A few times that meant
sleeping until 3:00 in the afternoon.  And this
is not because she pulled an all nighter either.
She probably went to bed around midnight, maybe
1:00.  She'll emerge from the basement apartment,
in her pajamas halfway through the day,
complaining that she didn't know she was going to
sleep so long, that she shouldn't have slept so
long.  And the rest of the crowd who have been up
since early in the morning, just gape at her
shuffling through the kitchen in her purple silky
pajamas, rubbing her eyes like a three year old,
and pouting.  It's remarkable, really.  I
remember once sleeping until ten in the morning.
This was when I was a high school student.  Ten
o'clock in the a.m., and I was distraught.  How
could I have let the whole world go by while I
was still snoozing?  It bothered me all that day.
I felt I'd cheated myself.  And what of
importance would I have done that morning if I'd
awakened at seven or eight?  I would have done
nothing of importance, probably, but I would have
done it sooner.  In the scheme of things, does it
matter if I sleep until six, eight, or ten?  I
frequently feel that there are not enough hours
in the day.  I want to throw in a handful more.
Maybe even make it a thirty six hour day.  So
much more could get done.  Maybe there wouldn't
be the pressure, the rush, the overwhelm at
having to attend to a million things in only
twenty four hours.  But, of course, that's not
true.  It would only work if I got thirty six
hours, while everyone else got only twenty four.

	It's not going to happen.  Not for you either.

	But for Feyna, probably what she'd do is
sleep in a little later, then come upstairs in
her purple silky pajamas, rubbing her eyes and
moaning that she wasted this terrific opportunity
to catch up on things.  Oh woe!

ºªºªºªºªºªºªºªºªºªºªºªºªºªºªºªºªºªºªºªºªºªºªºªºªºªºªºªºªºªºªºªºªºªºªºªºªº

ÝÝÝÝÝÝÝÝÝÝÝÝÝÝÝÝÝÝÝÝÝÝÝÝÝÝÝÝÝÝÝÝÝÝÝÝÝÝÝÝÝÝÝÝÝÝÝÝÝÝÝ
                                 ¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥

Poison Oak

	I am not susceptible to the toxic effects
of Poison Oak.  Of course, there was no way for
me to know that until I accidentally basted
myself with it and nothing happened.  So I
thought for sure that I would be like everyone
else.  Therefore, I kept my distance.  I
memorized what those noxious leaves looked like,
and never went near them: anything with three
leaves in a cluster, Urushiol.  Leaves of three,
let it be; berries white, poisonous sight.

	In the seventh grade, John Finn came to
math class after a week's absence, his face so
deformed that I couldn't look at him without my
stomach lurching.  His face was a swollen leather
bladder with reddened, scabby peep holes for eyes
and a rupture for a mouth.  There was a crusty
bloody rash spread out over his cheeks and nose
that wept puss.  At first I thought his house
must have burned down and he was dragged from the
fire, or maybe something nasty had exploded in
his face.  People were afraid to ask him what
happened.  You just don't walk up to the fellow
with a stump for one arm and leg and call out in
any sort of voice, cheerful or deeply concerned,
"Hey, what happened to YOU?!"  It's insensitive.
Not that insensitivity is forbidden.
Insensitivity may just be one of the prime
requisites for fame and fortune.  But we know not
to ask about terrible tragedies.

	"Say, Burt!  Word is you've just found
out you have Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis.  Feel
anything yet?  How long does it take for this ALS
thing to kill you, anyway?"

	So I found out from the teacher along
with all the other students in the class.  Mr.
Revtak must have noticed the signs of shock and
awe and he took it upon himself to announce,
"John Finn is back in class now, after a bad run
in with Poison Oak.  Please be  kind."

	"Oh!" said the entire class.  And we
tried to go back to our work, but there was John
Finn among us, evidence of how you can't keep
your eyes off the horror.

	There used to be a man who roamed around
downtown Berkeley, at least that is where I saw
him, on Shattuck or in the main library.
Everyone knew who you meant when you referred to,
"the man without a face".  He was tall, had a
purposeful gait, aimed directly where he was
going and went there with no diversions.  He was
always alone, and that didn't surprise anyone.
He had fine grey and brown hair that he combed
neatly.  He was always clean and well presented.
And then, he didn't have a face.  It was just a
plastering of scar tissue stretched across the
front of his skull.  There was a hole for his
mouth, two holes where his nose should have been,
and two slots for his eyes.  This was how he met
the world, and how the world met him.

	Yvonne's mother had a boyfriend, Sharad,
who was born and raised in India.  He didn't know
the social rules in this country.  He just went
up to the man without a face and asked what had
happened to him.  I was as shocked to hear that
Sharad had approached him as I was to hear his
story.  It was in the Korean war.  A bomb blew up
in his face.  He was very lucky to have survived.
I don't know what else Sharad and the man without
a face talked about.  Knowing Sharad, after he'd
been given the information he'd needed, he
probably thanked him and walked away.  Some time
during the last twenty years, I stopped seeing
the man around town, so I assumed he died.

	John Finn's face gradually returned to
normal and we eventually stopped staring at him,
avoiding him, whispering about him.  The lesson I
learned from John Finn's experience was just how
bad Poison Oak could be.  A vile plant.  Don't
walk in the woods.  Watch out when you're in
Tilden.  Stay on the paths.

	Our Labour Zionist Youth organization
held a picnic in some out of the way park.
Everyone from the Northern California contingent
was there.  All the familiar faces from camp
Na'ami.  The announcement said to bring a swim
suit.  Dana and I geared up to go.  It was on a
Sunday.  We were twelve and fourteen.  My mother
drove us out to the grounds and dropped us off.
She would come back at four o'clock to pick us
up.  Call if we wanted to come home sooner.  We
ran around, exhausting ourselves.  We wriggled
into our swimsuits and swam in the pool.  We ate
the food; we drank the juice.  We threw around
some of the Hebrew we'd learned in camp.  A few
of us went on a follow-the-leader excursion,
running up and down the pathways, climbing over
fences, doing whatever the leader did.  Swat the
tree.  Turn around once.  Hop in the air.  Shout
hello.  Dana and I were in the troop.  At one
point, the leader hunkered down on his feet and
rode on his bottom down a woodsy ravine.  There
was only one tree on the way into the ravine that
was sturdy enough to grab onto for balance.  I
felt myself listing off to the right and slowed
myself as I slid, tushie first, over the dirt and
shrubbery.  I steadied myself by wrapping my arms
around this tree, then skidding down the slope.
As I got to the bottom, the leader called out
that the foliage climbing that tree was Poison
Oak.  He hoped we hadn't touched it.

	Touched it!?  I'd smeared myself with it.
Images of John Finn came to my mind.  I ran like
crazy to the nearest bathroom and washed as
thoroughly as possible, but the park soap was
that pink grainy stuff, and how could that help?
Maybe it would just spread it around.  I was
scared.  I knew I was going to burst out into
bouquets of pustules.  Truth is, I didn't know
what to expect.  The uncertainty  heightened the
fear.  I reached in my pocket for a dime to call
and get Mom to drive out quickly, take us home
immediately.  But I had no dime.  I went to Dana
and asked for one.

	She wouldn't give one to me.  She was
having fun and wanted to stay until it was all
over.  I pleaded with her, thinking that time was
of the essence.  The more time that toxic juice
spent on my skin, the worse the calamity.  I gave
up on Dana and ran to one of the counselors who
gave me a dime.  I took it to the first pay phone
I could find.  But Dana saw me before I could
make my call.  She ambushed me, seized my arm and
yanked me out of the booth.  I was screaming.
She was screaming.  She dragged me off to a
little hill by the main path, threw me down in
the dirt, leapt on top of me and pounded away,
including her very famous choking trick.  I was
blind with rage and desperation, flailing around,
trying to get her off of me.  Her mean face hung
over mine, yelling how we weren't going home
early, so what about the Poison Oak.  There was
probably nothing I could do about it to lessen
the effects.  If I got it, I got it.

	Suddenly, two full-fledged counselors
grabbed Dana by each shoulder and peeled her off
of me.  They held her while she thrashed.  I
remember seeing the counselors and seeing Dana
receding from me.  Nothing else registered.  I
was too furious to figure anything out.  As they
pulled her away from me, I rose up and dived on
top of her, reversed the positions.  I pummeled
her with my fists, growling and shrieking.  Then
I noticed what was going on.  The counselors drew
me back and told me to stop.  I stopped, even
though it felt like justice was being delivered
by throttling her.

	I told them the story of the Poison Oak
on the tree.  They knew the story.  They had me
rush off and call my mother from the phone booth.
She left home immediately and picked us up.  Dana
was fuming.  She sat on her side of the car, her
anger festering in the sun.  My mother explained
to me that it would take a while for my body to
start reacting to the Poison Oak.  Wash up now.
We'll see tomorrow.  I cringed when I thought of
how I'd gripped all that Poison Oak in my hands
and slid my whole body in the thick of it.  I had
been seriously exposed.  I took a shower, washed
twice with soap and water, then rinsed several
times in case there were juices imbedded in my
sick skin.  My skin was going to be sick.

	In the morning, there was no sign of a
reaction on my skin, not a single red bump.

--

Tobie Helene Shapiro
Berkeley, California   USA

tobie at shpilchas.net