TheBanyanTree: Life Stories 202

Tobie Shapiro tobie at shpilchas.net
Thu Apr 19 06:46:38 PDT 2007

April 18, 200000007

Dear Every Single One,

	Meyshe has been working on some pieces to
play for his class.  I've tried contacting his
teacher to set up a recital date.  But I never
heard back from him.  Then yesterday, while I was
out briefly with Feyna, he called the house for
me.  Evidently, there is a talent show for the
entire student body on the 27th, and they were
expecting Meyshe to play something for that.
Well, it's not the same as a recital, but it's a
performance.  Bren told my mother to tell me that
they expected Meyshe to bring his viola today to
school for a rehearsal.  But Meyshe doesn't have
anything ready.  Honestly, he's nowhere near
prepared to play anything.  "It doesn't have to
be perfect," said Bren.  But that's not relevant.
Not to Meyshe.  If you ask Meyshe what he wants
to be when he grows up, he will say, "A musician,
an artist and a writer."  He means it.  He is not
proficient at the viola yet, but he is dedicated
and he practices dutifully.  With enough work, he
could do it.  Forcing him to play when he's
sounding bad would be demoralizing for him.  I
wrote a letter to Bren explaining the situation,
and told Meyshe not to bring his viola today.
And I told Bren please not to get mad at Meyshe,
because it was I who instructed him not to bring
his viola.  I, the villain.  I, the evildoer.
We'll see how this thing shakes down.

	In the meantime, preparations,
appointments, forms being filled out, the great
machine is moving forward for Meyshe to go to
college in the fall.  I have registered him with
the DSPS (Disabled Students' Programs and
Services) which required proof of Meyshe's
disability.  Evaluations, tests, IEPs, letters
from physicians describing his disability and
suggesting what services he may need.  They are
required to offer him accommodations as needed to
make his education available to him.  It makes
mom nervous.  Out in that big world, fending for
himself.  Again, unprepared.

                           ÅAÅAÅAÅAÅAÅAÅAÅAÅAÅAÅAÅAÅAÅAÅAÅAÅAA
                          WWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW

How We Grow Up

	My mother tried to grow up in the 1930s.
She was born in 1920, a nice even number, and was
nine when the great depression hit.  Desperate
times for so many, great upheaval, great
political gestures.  The United States was not
yet a world superpower.  They didn't even talk in
terms of super powers.    Superman didn't show up
on the shelves until 1938.

	I tried to grow up in the 1960s, another
time of great change, great tragedy, great
cultural revolution.  My generation was crazy.

	My son and daughter are trying to grow up
in the first decade of the twenty first century.
We are too close to this era to be able to fit
the pieces together in hindsight.  From what I
can tell now, it is a time of great fear: fear of
what is in the food you are eating, fear of the
corruption of the environment, fear of strangers
who may abduct or abuse you, fear of the future,
fear of running out of batteries, fear of
learning disabilities, behavioural disabilities,
new definitions in the DSM IV, fear of lawsuits,
fear of terrorism, fear of everything flying
apart in the next chaotic shock.  Watch out,
kinderleh, you may get hurt.

	It is a new set of realities in every era.

	I wonder what my children are going
through and how to help them on their way.  There
is way too much to learn, to adjust to in this
era.  It takes far longer to learn how to protect
yourself from the powers that be.  The predators
in the urban jungle can shape-shift.  They can
appear to be your advisors, your buddies, or get
lost in the anonymous miasma of a bureaucracy.
The predators have expensive and convincing P.R.
The oil company cleans up the environment and
nurtures an innocent field of lilies.  The fast
food chain donates a certain percentage of the
till to the Foundation to Combat Obesity.  The
bank wants to be your father figure.  Everywhere
people who merely process you are trained to
smile and call you by your first name, suggest
you have a nice day, offer to save you money on a
special deal just for you that is being offered,
actually, to everybody.  You may take your life
in your hands and vote, but the issues are all
shrouded in doublespeak, the candidates are
packaged by a fleet of handlers, they are
purchased by the highest bidder, and the
propositions are twisted so that you have to pick
up some pretty big rocks to find out what lurks
beneath the surface.  It is an era when things
are seldom what they seem.  Your undoing could be
disguised as a helping hand.

	People want to believe in something.  But
there is rarely anything honest enough to
believe.  It would be easier to shut off your
valve and let nothing in, or shut off your
anxiety by ignoring everything, every clue of
danger, every warning sign, every evidence of
lies.  Just sit back and believe in the National
Enquirer, or in the most flamboyant
televangelist, or in the market, the pyramid
scheme, the amassing of property as a sure sign
of happiness.  How will we live our lives amidst
such a storm of confusion?  The hall of mirrors
is where you are born now.  My children will have
to make sense of it if they want to survive.

	Can Meyshe be equal to the task?  He is
so gullible, so impressionable, so unsavvy, so
pure, honest, and good.  This is a dangerous
place for him.  How can I train him to watch out
for himself?  Who will watch over him after I'm
gone?

--

Tobie Helene Shapiro
Berkeley, California   USA