TheBanyanTree: Life Stories 201

Tobie Shapiro tobie at shpilchas.net
Tue Apr 17 07:59:13 PDT 2007

April 17, 2000007

Oh dear,

	So I met with the 78/79 year old suitor
from Jdate.  He doesn't look his age.  He looks
much younger (just in case you thought I meant he
looked 96).  He's an interesting character.  We
talked for about an hour, sitting with our cups
of handcrafted coffee on a bench outside of
Peet's.  He told me he was rescued by
Kindertransport during the lead up to WWII.  He
was born in Germany, and his parents saved his
life by having him shipped outside the country
for his safety.  He made no mention of the
parents and family left behind.  I didn't ask.
He is going back to Frankfurt to take part in a
meeting of other Kindertransport participants
with good Germans who survived the war on the
other side of the holocaust.  They are going to
try to come to understandings.  I thought the
whole event sounded very brave.  He is also
taking a three year course in Shamanism.  He
works full time, gets up at 5:00, has a class in
the city on Tuesday nights.  He's busy all week.
He's more active than I am.  That's for sure.  I
just sit here at my computer being advocate for
my kids and springing new sentences upon the
earth.  We agreed that the next meeting, we would
go to some concert or musical event together.  He
thanked me for being open to this.  He must have
met with refusals because of his age.

                                  ˆˆˆˆˆˆˆˆˆˆˆˆˆˆˆˆˆˆˆˆˆˆˆˆˆˆˆˆˆˆˆˆˆˆˆˆˆˆˆ

¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡

A Yeshivabucher at Bat

	I was not good at sports.  Very early on,
in nursery school and kindergarten, there was a
lot of running around, but it was not organized
play with teams, competitors or a set of rules.
I do remember in nursery school when a lot of us
sat in a circle and played, "Hot Potato," then in
the first grade being sophisticated enough to
play, "Telephone," that paean to the mysteries of
communication.  But neither of those counts.  Not
enough running or flapping of the arms.  I don't
remember any time in the first three grades
devoted to physical education.  We just ran
around a lot at recess.

	Somehow, we all learned the rules of
certain games and played them, dutifully standing
in line to take our turns at baseball, forming a
human wall of joined arms to play, "Red Rover".
And there were the standard games that are really
better described as behaviours, where you have
your body do strange tricks.  The first, most
basic, of these games was twirling around in
circles until you couldn't stand up, then
staggering around, falling on your fanny,
laughing at the dizziness.  I used to wonder why
the grown ups didn't want to spin in circles with
us, or roll down the hill in the front yard.
Now, being an official grown up, I see the
reasoning.  It's simple.  At a certain age, it
starts making you sick.  Another trick is to
stand next to a wall and press your arm up
against it, without using the rest of your body.
You count to thirty and then step away from the
wall.  Magically, your arm rises in the air of
its own accord.  Some of the kids in elementary
school, in the higher grades, the obviously more
mature group, knew how to force themselves to
faint.  They'd be standing around the playground
at recess, hyperventilating, then holding their
breath.  Everyone else would stand by to catch
them if they fell.  I never did that.  Losing
consciousness would have left me wide open to
harm, and I had a father to worry about.  Must
never lose control.

	One morning at recess in the fourth
grade, we were playing baseball.  I was not good
at this.  I rarely hit the ball.  It was so
small, and the bat was so thin.  I'd watch
everyone else get up to bat and produce perfect
pop flies, which of course no one could catch, so
they were home runs.  I'd get to bat and strike
out or walk.  It just depended if I were brazen
enough to swing.  All the pitches were pretty
much outside of the strike zone.  There were some
kids who were so insane to hit the ball that
they'd leap away from home plate and swing
wildly, like swatting at a fly, just to have a
chance for a hit.  But I knew my place.

	I let the ball approach me and fall short
of the plate, or zing wide of the mark, and I
found myself on first base.  The next kid up at
bat accomplished a drizzle of a hit along the
first base line.  The ball rolled past the first
baseman, and the outfielder was unable to stop it
as it wobbled past.  So I wound up on third.
There seemed to be a problem out there in the
field.  This unremarkable little hit created a
chain reaction of errors.  No one could get hands
on the ball.  The kids at home plate yelled at me
to come in and score.  I hesitated.  Then, I saw
the ball being thrown to the plate, and I ran
like mad to get myself to home.  I succeeded in
scoring.  There were cheers, but I couldn't stop
my momentum.  I kept on running and slammed into
the bench behind home plate.  I flew up in the
air and landed flat on my chest.  It knocked the
wind out of me and when I opened my eyes, a crowd
had gathered.  They were all peering at me,
thrilled.

	"Your eyes rolled back in your head!"

	"Wow!  You should have seen your eyes.  We could only see the whites!"

	"You were out cold!  Neat!"

	I was helped up off the cement and
escorted to the nurse who bandaged my bloody knee
and told me to sit it out for the day.  I nobly
obeyed, wounded sublimely in action.

	Naturally, this was big news at home.
The culprit, as far as my family was concerned,
was sports itself.  It's dangerous.  It was a
philosophical thing, almost religious.  We didn't
engage in sports.  It was somehow beneath us.
Our sport was sitting and thinking, reading,
studying, expounding, debating.  No running
around chasing balls.  Jews don't do that.  We
leave it to the goyim.

	By junior high school, the philosophy had
become an ethical imperative.  I reflexively
dreaded P.E.  Going to my locker and changing
into my gym outfit was loathsome: the dark blue
shorts with the elastic waist, the white short
sleeved blouse, the socks and tennis shoes.  It
was like putting on a prison uniform, or the
broad striped terrifying issue of the
concentration camps.

	There I would go, out to the yard,
showing way too much of my legs, and being told
to move them around quickly.  It was humiliating.
I didn't want to exert myself, not physically,
anyway  -  psychologically, intellectually,
emotionally, yes.  But acceding to sports was
disloyal.  It was apart from my core identity.  I
didn't like the feeling of running, jumping,
hopping, aiming.  I didn't even throw like a
girl.  I threw like a Jew.  And I was proud of
that.  I was descended from a long line of
Yeshivabuchers, pale skinned, ogle eyed scholars
of the book.  I thought of myself as a brain with
a body dangling from it.  In any other subject, a
B was an embarrassment.  But a C in P.E. was a
badge of honour.  It kind of balanced out all the
As in the other classes.

	When I got to high school, I had finally
acquired a weapon against P.E.  I had my
menstrual periods.  When you are bleeding from
your personal hole, you are not required to
participate in gym.  And I was lucky.  My periods
were extremely irregular.  I could have a period
every two weeks.  That put a dent in my
participation: one week off and one week on.  But
irregular also meant that sometimes the periods
were eight weeks apart.  This was arduous.  Run
those little short legs off!  Nature is ignoring
you.  Of course, I could have lied, told the
teacher I was on my period when I was blood free.
But that would be immoral.  I never tried it,
even though I knew no one was going to demand
proof.

	"Show me your sanitary napkin!  Hey!  I
don't see a drop!  It's into your uniform,
Shapiro.  Step lively!"

--

Tobie Helene Shapiro
Berkeley, California   USA