TheBanyanTree: Life Stories 199

Tobie Shapiro tobie at shpilchas.net
Thu Apr 12 08:23:27 PDT 2007

April 11, 2000000000007

Dear Horde (and I mean that in the nicest way!),

	I was talking to my therapist yesterday
(yes, I have one) and somehow I wended my way
back to my nervous breakdown at 19, after Arthur
pushed me out.  I sat there, morose, recalling
the lovely stay in Cowell Hospital where they
threw me in the suicide lock up, the room with
everything nailed to the floor, bars over the
windows, toilet in plain view of the little
window on the door.  Every once in a while
someone would open up the flap over that window
and take a peek in, I guess to make sure I hadn't
hung myself.  Then when they'd seen that I was
only rocking back and forth crying, they closed
the flap and walked away.  It was terrible.  The
pain was searing.

	My therapist grimaced and shook her head.
She disapproved of the treatment.   "When was
this?" she asked.   "I was 19," I told her.  "Oh,
you were so young!  Those were the old days.  How
barbaric, cruel.  That was the way they did
things back then."

	A tiny shot of vindication awakened me.
It had always been an awful memory of an ugly and
gut wrenching experience.  But somehow I'd never
calculated that the treatment was actually cruel,
cruel like it felt to me.  I just assumed that
all attempted suicides got treated like that, and
somehow I must have brought it upon myself.  Now,
an authority figure, a licensed psychologist, was
holding it up as an example of how brutal they
were in those days.  It was a relief.  I sighed,
shed a few tears, thanked her.

                                           ‡‡‡‡‡‡‡‡‡‡‡‡‡‡‡‡‡‡‡‡‡‡‡‡

ççççççççççççççççççççççççççççççççççççççççççççç
                                        ÇÇÇÇÇÇÇÇÇÇÇÇÇÇÇÇÇÇÇÇÇÇÇÇÇÇ

The First Few Weeks

	After Feyna and Meyshe were born, we all
three remained in the hospital for several extra
days.  It was 1987, and health care had already
begun its prolonged hideous dive into mismanaged
care.  They allowed one day for birth before
kicking a fresh mother and infant out on the
street.  But in my case, I wasn't draining right,
and they needed to observe me.  I didn't make
sense to them.  One side of me was evacuating its
liquids, but the other side was not.  Also, poor
little Feyna had a tiny case of jaundice and had
to spend a few hours under a lamp every day.
There she was, on her stomach, sunglasses curled
around her eyes, lying under the bright light,
her shoulders shaking, crying pitiably.  I took a
walk down the hallway, with my new stitches on
the C-section incision, and I stood on the little
platform in front of the window peering at her
small quaking body, wondering what sort of
painful subconscious memories this ordeal was
going to inscribe within her.  Would she always
be afraid of bright lights, or the sun, or
sunglasses?  Would she be insecure, so far from
her mother in the first days after birth?

	When my mother had had her own children,
the stay in the hospital had been relaxed.  She
got one week for Dana in 1945.  For me, in 1947,
it was five days, for Daniel, in 1954 they had
shortened the expected stay to three days, but
then she nearly died and had to have a
hysterectomy, so she stayed a whole week,
recuperating.  One whole week to recuperate from
a near death trauma.  And we have all heard about
the proposed drive through mastectomies.
Progress marches on.  Don't get in the way.

	When they finally released the three of
us, I was plopped into a wheelchair, handed both
of my babies and trundled down the hall to the
elevator.  The hospital worker held onto the
handlebars and pushed me outside to the curb
designated for pick ups.  One infant in each arm,
I sat there, tired and beaming.  There was no
crying.  They'd never been outside before.  I did
not fear the bombardment of bacteria and floating
viruses raining down from the hostile
environment.  Everyone, everything, right down to
the bacterio-viral level was our friend.  And as
I waited in the wheelchair, strange friends ran
up to me, cooed at the twins, embraced me, went
on in foreign languages about whatever they were
so happy and affectionate about.  Everyone loved
twins.  These two creatures with their little
sock caps on their tiny heads, their eyes wide
open, learning something, learning beginning
things, like up and down, light and dark, the
constancy of noise, the feel of motion in the
wheelchair, the look of motion as they travelled
over the ground.  The ground.  The sky.  Imagine
everything being new to you.  Everything new
under and over the sun.

	David pulled up in the station wagon with
the two new car seats positioned in the second
seat facing back.  We strapped them in.  I
climbed over Feyna to get in between them, where
I sat, sore, excited, apprehensive, gazing at
their two oval faces.  They already looked very
different to me.  I'd spent hours, days, in the
hospital bed, post operative morphine pumped into
me, examining my newborn babies.  But to others,
they were identical, every hair, each eye, all
twenty fingers alike.

	"Where to?" David asked.

	I asked Feyna and Meyshe, "Where to?"  I
said, "Let's go to Peet's.  I haven't had a good
cup of coffee in five days."

	We drove up Ashby Avenue towards a good
cup of coffee.  Half way between College and
Claremont Avenues, they both sneezed.  Their
heads ducked down from the force and their eyes
shut tight.

	I said, "Buchucha," (German ch) in lieu
of whatever standard blessing you might expect.
And, "Buchucha," has been my, "Bless you,",
"Gesundheit," ever since.  It sometimes seems
silly calling out, "Buchucha," to a big hulking
twenty year old, but what of the custom of saying
anything at all after a fellow human sneezes?
Buchucha is as good as anything else.

	After the sneezes, they both started to
cry, independently and together.  It was not a
joyous noise.  We had no pacifiers handy.  I went
on instinct and stuck my two index fingers in
their mouths.  They latched on, sucked, and
quieted down.

	The first few weeks of being a mother was
all shocking, awakening, full of uncomfortable
lessons and happy revelations.  How to wrap two
babies up in two receiving blankets: the standard
burrito roll.  Another way to wrap two infants in
two receiving blankets: the standard sushi roll.
I'd like to skip the first diaper, too
embarrassing.  We had a diaper service and used
cloth diapers plus underpants with velcro that
folded over the diapers and kept them snug,
safety pinless.  Each tiny tushie was positioned
over the diaper, one at a time.  And I discovered
that I didn't know what to do.  How do you fold
the diaper?

	I called the diaper service for instructions.

	"ABC Diaper Service."

	"Hello, diaper people.  I've got four day
old twins here, and I don't know how to fold the
diapers.  Help talk me through this."

	"I don't know either.  Let me get someone
else."  He went to find someone in authority,
someone with a masters degree in diaper
engineering.  The very important supervisor got
on the horn.  He said, "Twins, huh?  Do 'em one
at a time."

	"That much I've figured out.  Now what?"

	He talked me through the maneuvers, step by step until I was done.

	"Can you do the other yourself?"

	"I think so."

	I was wrong.  I had to call back.  The shame of it all!

	The first big work out was getting them
ready for their one week checkup.  I had newborn
outfits for them in yellow, magenta, turquoise,
shirts, pants and vests.  I mixed them all up.
And the shoes, too.  They were rainbow, or at
least a slap to the eyes.  I sang to them while I
changed them into their fancy clothing.  I did
this an hour and a half before we had to show up
at the pediatrician's.  We walked in the door ten
minutes before the scheduled appointment.

	"We're a little early."

	"Parents of twins always are.  You're the
most organized.  You have to be."

	Another lesson.

	Alex and Ben were fascinated by the
twins, but their concentration was on how much
time and attention was flowing to Feyna and
Meyshe and away from them.  They kept a distance,
mostly.  My cat, Vogelsang, curled up on our bed,
while Meyshe and Feyna lay there, napping.  She
kept her eyes on them.  When Ben came bounding
into the room and leaned over one of them,
Vogelsang jumped up, positioned herself between
them and hissed threateningly.  Ben jerked back.
My cat had saved a life.  Vogelsang was always
like that with them, even when, at age three and
four, they ran after her, testing her patience,
pulling her this way, rolling her that way,
flushing her out from under chairs.  No one ever
got scratched.

--

Tobie Helene Shapiro
Berkeley, California   USA