TheBanyanTree: Life Stories 197

Tobie Shapiro tobie at shpilchas.net
Sun Apr 8 13:11:29 PDT 2007

April 8, 20000000007

Dear People of Diverse Backgrounds,

	Today all the stores are closed, and I
could go down to the Safeway lot and drive my car
around, practicing parking, testing out the
turning radius, shouting out the window.  (How
about when the disheveled stranger barks out his
window, "I can fix that dent for you, cheap!")

	It is also still Passover week, and we
are eating no leavened bread, only matzah.  As
long as I've got enough horseradish and
charoshes, I'm fine with matzah.  Meyshe has
gotten salmon and matzah sandwiches for lunch all
week, and little bowls of charoshes with a spoon
and a few extra matzah.  He finishes everything.
Good boy!

	There is something wrong with our
refrigerator.  The milk is freezing.  A bowl of
cut up mushrooms are solid like ice.  The soup
was crystals.  You could skate on the surface.
So I think I turned the cooler down, but I didn't
know which direction to turn it.  It didn't help,
so I turned it the other way.  That's when the
lettuce froze solid and the fruit was ruined.  So
I turned it the other way.  Turned it until the
motor went off.  Now it will probably heat things
up.  It didn't occur to me until recently that
there could be something doing with the unit
itself.  After all, it's not as if someone went
in there and fussed with the controls before all
this happened.  Another repairman, another
hundred dollars.

                    AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
                    ‡‡‡‡‡‡‡‡‡‡‡‡‡‡‡‡‡‡‡‡‡‡‡‡‡‡‡‡‡‡‡‡‡‡‡‡

Do you have to be nuts?

	My favourite subjects in high school were
Music, of course, English and Art.  That
qualified me for being the lady in the arts in my
family.  My brother, Daniel, made his mark early
on in the sciences.  In school, he excelled in
every hard science subject known to students.
His greatest gripe was his height.  He was short,
slow to develop.  We were all short.  But for a
boy, being on the short side caused him grief,
teasing and bullying.  When he was in high
school, thugs routinely shook him down for
whatever cash he was stupid or hopeful enough to
carry.  He'd come home with a fresh report every
day.  His brain, however, was the size of the
beast from twenty thousand fathoms, and it worked
so fast that most people couldn't even follow
him.  My older sister had her favourite subjects,
too, but I don't think she ever confided in me
what they were.  She was good at Math, Algebra,
Geometry, Biology, Chemistry, and any other
science you could shake at her.  She also did
well at History and English, though I don't know
how much she liked them.  She got the good grades
and the A plusses on her papers.  Work would come
back to her with exclamation points all over it.
The teachers lauded her, underlined sections of
the paper and wrote, "Excellent!" in the margins.
She had friends in school, but some of them
didn't treat her so well, and she made a lot of
enemies, or at least, hurt feelings and seething
followed in her wake.

	I was Madam Arts.  What did the rest of
the world think of a bright girl who got As in
Orchestra, Music History, Art, and English?  They
thought she was taking all the easy As, a
slacker.  And in my family, I always had the
feeling that I was the dumb one.  I struggled
just to slash my way through Math and Algebra.  I
got good grades in the classes, I just loathed
them.  I groaned every time homework was assigned
in the sciences.  I just didn't like squeezing my
mind around it all.  English came naturally to
me.  I was the oddball in the middle row who
loved analyzing sentences, had fun with the
grammar homework where we were asked to employ
two participial phrases, a gerund, a dependent
clause and a passive verb in a sentence.  I was
considered weird.

	In my junior year in high school, the
English teacher assigned us to write poetry, and
I liked that, too.  I was taken aside when the
poetry assignment came back.  The teacher and I
sat on the stairs, and she went over my tortured
poem:

	"We choke the dead with selfish tears . . ."

	She liked it.  Well, it was virtually
marinating in neurosis, and like so many
adolescent poets, and young expressive artistes,
I confused neurosis with depth.  Depth was, "Look
how hurt I am."  Depth was an invitation to watch
me bleed, swoon, writhe in the agony of life.
Woe!

	In my Music History class, I remember a
heated discussion about Beethoven.  Beethoven was
a tortured soul, his disheveled head tipping
right off its stem.  He ranted.  He fumed.  He
sued everyone he could.  Everything drove him
crazy.  He was not happy.  Most of the class was
of the stated opinion that Beethoven's genius was
linked to his craziness.  In order to be a
genius, a person had to be twisted, miserable,
neurotic at least, but a true high density genius
had to be psychotic.  In their psychosis was
their strength, their talent, their immortality.
I was the sole defender of the theory that if
anything, Beethoven's genius was hampered by his
psychological rat's nest.  If only he'd been
happy!  Think how much more he could have done.

	It was an argument of survival.  I dearly
wanted to believe that my genius was not caused
by my ample, nearly florid, neuroses.  The worry
crept into my head frequently.  What if I were
free of my father, free of my upbringing, my
damage repaired, my anguish abated.  What if the
price to pay for it would be that I'd be stripped
of my personality, my creative spark, my
identity.  My identity was as an expressive
artist.  I was as near to God as the last story
I'd written, the last string quartet I'd played,
the last song I'd composed, the last work of art
I'd produced.  I was no one without my
proliferation of creative product.

	So, were my good grades and my genius due
to being sick in the head?  Did I have to be sick
in the head to have an identity?  I'd have to be
crazy to think that.  Thank God.

--

Tobie Helene Shapiro
Berkeley, California   USA