TheBanyanTree: insignificant sticky things

Julie Anna Teague jateague at indiana.edu
Fri Sep 15 10:18:27 PDT 2006

Quoting Tobie Shapiro <tobie at shpilchas.net>:

> 	Hoping I am not boring the living delete keys out of you, I offer
> another couple of stories from my crowded life.  Let me know if I
> should stop, O.K.?

Don't stop.  Stop with the stopping.  Keep going.  I am enthralled.  I
have a blog and in the description of my blog I say something vaguely
artsy-fartsy like, "some moments, like small, silvery fish, I'd like to
capture in the leaky net of memory, before they flash and disappear
into my deep salty sea."  I've probably murdered an innocent metaphor,
but, honestly, that is the way it is for me.  There are big, momentous,
earth-shattering things that have happened in my life which I could
point to and say, "See?  That's why I am who I am.  What else could you
expect, after that?"  But mostly what makes a life and a whole person
are these things, these tiny things which would be insignificant if not
for their amazing ability to stick to a patch of gray cells and never
be wedged off by something that, on the surface, might seem more
important or worth the space.  The story and the self-discovery, I
think, is lodged somewhere in the WHY of it--why in God's name do we
remember these things?  Why they stick, still?

For instance.  And this is a most insignificant thing. I went into the
store room at work this morning, where there is an honor-system snack
concession for us office dwellers.  Quite unexpectedly, there were many
cans of Vienna Sausages for purchase.  Sixty cents a can.  It made me
ponder who would pop open a can of Vienna sausages as a mid-morning
snack.  I didn't know people just ate them, straight up, out of the
can, several at a time.  I'd never considered it.

As a kid, Vienna sausages were this rare, forbidden treat.  This was
the sixties in a tiny town in Southern Indiana where it might as well
have been the fifties, and we were on the lower end of the economic
spectrum.  There was a budget and  a food plan matched exactly to a
headcount, so many per.  My brother could send my mom over the edge by
doing things like eating an entire bunch of bananas at one time and
blow the plan.  My mom and dad had some friends who had gone to the
same highschool, and who still got together for Euchre and snacks
occasionally.  All of the women had puffy, stiff hairdos and the men,
except for my dad, were all loud and annoying.  Their kids were
insufferable, or just this side, I suppose, because my brother and I
were made to suffer them.  My mom, when she was really going all out
for an "adult" party, would sometimes make a tray of hor d'oeuvres on
toothpicks with plastic frills on the end, and on each a tiny cube of
cheddar, a piece of sweet pickle, and half a Vienna sausage.  My
brother and were obsessed with eating these exotic treats and would
sneak them when mom wasn't looking.  But she knew exactly how many
there were and would scream, "STOP EATING THOSE THEY ARE FOR THE
PARTY!"  And that's how I knew those little things must be pretty
darned fancy and expensive.

Now I realize, and I guess I've always realized, that I could whip out
a tray of these tonight if I wanted to.  I could eat the whole tray.  I
could take a whole tray to my brother and say, "Here, have at them, all
of them, and have this entire bunch of bananas as well."  But I've
never thought, in the past thirty-five years, to do so.

Julie