TheBanyanTree: wasted day

paul paul at remsset.com
Fri Sep 29 18:44:06 PDT 2006

After doing the usual critter chores, I blew an hour or so shopping
on-line for a new PC.
 http://shop3.outpost.com/product/4881650
Eh, it's not much but it is better than a P3/500, right?  It should be
much better than the existing WinMe box for things like ripping DDS.
Tell me if this is a POS (and I don't mean Point Of Sale).

Then I wasted some time on this:
 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16824116368

Sweet... a 20" diagonal LCD monitor for less than my fancy 17" CRT a
few years ago.... that would be about the time we had a Banaynarama
here.  It's a ViewSonic, too.  And just about a direct replacement for
the 20" Trinitrons we have.

Someone is gonna get a really nice Xmas present.  And I'm gonna get
his old box to use as a server... that will be my fun, effing with
some kind of *nix and doing the wiring to connect the slimserver to
the stereo.  Oh, that's my Xmas, the slimserver.  With any luck he
will hate the LCD monitor and voila, /I/ get a new monitor.  Hey, it
could happen.

The rest of the day was brain dead.   On my last day off I bought a
replacement spout for the  tub.  The diverter wasn't working right ...
to send the water through the shower head ...  And I bought two, at
two stores.    Did either work?  Heck, I didn't know what I needed.
Until I monkey wrenched the old spout off the wall.  So it was another
trip to another store for the correct part.

The good news is that the shower is pretty darn nice.  Not being
treated like some kind of shoplifter when returning the parts was
realllllllly nice, too.

Then I loaded the little pickup with cans.  Ok, not all of the bags of
cans I have stashed in the barn where my ever helpful chickens live,
but hey, little truck gets 20 mpg and big truck gets 11 mpg with a
tailwind.  Could have done all the cans in one trip, but.  Still, I
had 120 pounds of cans and got home with $65 for the vacation fund
jar.

The trippy part of my day was that the guy at the recycle place
recognized me from the HEB.  Heh.  Small towns.  So he gave me the
money, I said something about it going into the vacation fund, he said
something about how's that a lot of beer money.  The lack of
privacy...   sheesh... you gotta wipe your feet.

paul
   http://remsset.com

   Circular Definition: see Definition, Circular.