TheBanyanTree: Life Stories 15

Tobie Shapiro tobie at shpilchas.net
Fri Sep 29 08:27:26 PDT 2006

September 29, 200000006

Dear Members of the Tree,

	Meyshe's been home all week with a cold.  Now he's hacking
and coughing and recuperating upstairs, while downstairs, I type out
another cluster of life stories.

	          YYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY

	I was six years old and had survived yet another onslaught of
my sister's.  She'd grabbed me by the neck and punched me around the
head a bit, hit me in the chest and dragged me by my hair.  Lest it
be misconstrued as being all physical, she was also teasing me and
berating me for being the limited, sadly wanting, deficient
disappointment that I was.  And she knew how to toss threats that
could frighten a horse off its shoes.  I swear sometimes my shoes
shot straight off, the socks shooting off my feet, right behind them,
when she issued her threats.  I was sitting on the living room floor,
recovering from a nasty row.  My mother came into the room and got
down on the floor beside me.  She cupped her hand to her mouth and
round my ear.  She said to me, "Tobie.  You can hit back."  It had
never occurred to me.

	          YYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY

	Saturday morning I immersed myself in cartoons.  This was
when I was four, five and six years old.  Truth be known, I probably
drowned myself in Saturday morning cartoons up until I was 15, but
we'll leave that.  We just won't go there.  When I was very little,
in Silver Spring, Maryland, it was a weekly tradition, maybe a weekly
compulsion.  All the Saturday morning cartoons were on one channel,
because there were only three channels.  What they offered was
Popeye, Betty Boop, the little clown in the ink bottle and all the
old Loony Toons toons from the '30s, '40s, and what there was of the
'50s.  Then, there were old movies, Hopalong Casssidy, Superman, The
Lone Ranger and the Little Rascals, all of them.

	It was the little clown in the ink bottle that fascinated me.
The cartoon would begin with a movie of the artist's hand opening the
ink bottle, dipping his pen into it, shaking off the excess ink, then
drawing the clown who came to life as soon as he was put on paper.
Then, he'd take over the episode.  Sometimes, he climbed out of the
ink bottle.  I can't remember which.  He had all sorts of adventures,
but he was a bad clown, with oppositional behaviour (there are now
drugs for this), always getting into trouble, and the last thing that
would happen is the artist would have to stuff the bad clown back
into the ink bottle and put the cap on tight to keep him and his
trouble prisoner, keep the rest of us safe.

	The cartoon I remember best was about the end of the world.
The clown was on the loose, and he got into this building where there
were all sorts of levers and wheels, buttons and dials and gizmos.
One big lever was labeled, "The End of the World", and the clown
pulled that lever all the way over.  I think there was a little dog
who tried to push the lever back, but the clown was dead set on
pulling that one lever all the way over.  After he'd pulled it,
earthquakes happened and great fissures in the earth opened up.  The
sun melted and the moon fell into the earth.  Buildings fell over and
then there was a long view of the earth turning around in the heavens
with the clown walking on top of it, the globe going round and round
under his feet.

	The cartoon scared me so much that I couldn't sleep.  I lay
there awake at night in the dark with my eyes open and after a while,
I hallucinated, so that up on the ceiling above my scared head, I saw
that evil clown traipsing on top of the earth which was turning under
his big feet.  I screamed so loud that my mother came running in.
Who made that cartoon for little kids?  Joel Lubar?

	          YYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY

	My mother's mother was the eldest of five.  Right after her
in birth order was uncle Al.   Al's nickname was Alex Red-Man.  That
was because of his hair.  But I only remember him having a big red
bald head.  He was mean to us, very acerbic and never affectionate.
He ignored the kids, mostly.  The closest he ever got to us was to
make fun of us for something or scold us for something else.  He
married a woman named Gussie, and Aunt Gussie was as nice as Al was
mean.  Gussie had pointed him out to her girlfriends and swore she
would marry him.  He was a tough catch, the pretty boy of the lot,
the one who was vain and popular among the women.  I guess Gussie
won, though there are other more ironic words for it.  Gussie laughed
a lot and always had a good word to say about us little kids.  Al and
Gussie had a daughter, Doris.  Doris and my mother were raised
together, by design of my Gramma, as if they were sisters.  Whenever
my mother got invited to a party, Gramma would call and ask if Doris
could come, too.  My mother has told me many stories about how Doris
and she got into trouble, or how they played this that and the other.
Doris was a flirt, and pretty.  My mother felt inferior, not as
pretty, and my mother was very very shy.  But I saw that photograph
of my mother and Doris, lined up, a posed picture taken
professionally.  Doris was pretty, but my mother was beautiful.  I
always thought so.

	Doris married a man named Norman.  Norman was wealthy all his
life.  I don't know where the money came from, but Norman had
chauffeurs drive him to school and he'd have them drop him off a few
blocks away from the school so none of the other kids would see him
arriving in a limousine.

	When I became aware of Norman was when he owned a string of
toy stores called, King Norman's Kingdom of Toys.  He even had an
amusement park out in Concord, the east bay inland, even though they
lived in San Francisco.  And on Saturday mornings, King Norman had a
television program sponsored by a shoe company, Gallenkamp.  A few
times, he invited my sister and me to come and be on his television
program.  He dressed up as a king with a crown and robes and
everything.  And Doris played the part of Page Joy.  She wore a
little skirt and tights and had her hair cut in a page boy.  One of
the things King Norman had on his program was a weekly talent
contest.  Three little kids would compete with each other for a
prize, and the judges were little kids from the audience.  Norman
designated me as one of the judges, and I remember being out there on
the stage, sitting in a chair at a table with the other judges,
watching the three contestants perform and not being able to take my
eyes off the T.V. monitor, because every so often, there I was, my
face on television.  All three contestants were little girls in one
strap sequined leotards doing tap dances.  They were equally rotten
and equally good.  It came time to vote.  The judges were supposed to
select one of three cards and hand it to Page Joy.  When they asked
for my selection, I wasn't ready because I'd been too busy looking at
the monitor.  So they hurried me up.  I panicked and picked any card
out of the three without looking at it.  I was too flustered to
select a true winner or make any sort of judgment at all.  And it
turned out that the vote was unanimous for contestant number three
who took the prize and probably felt good all week for what reason.

	Norman still calls  himself King Norman today, even in his
80s, having retired from his toy stores decades ago.  He and Doris
travel all over the country in their RV the size of a greyhound bus.
You never know where they're going to be, unlike the rest of us.

	          YYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY
--

Tobie Helene Shapiro
Berkeley, California   USA

tobie at shpilchas.net