TheBanyanTree: Blue Mountains Circuit

Peter Macinnis petermacinnis at ozemail.com.au
Thu Sep 28 02:08:17 PDT 2006

When the whites first landed in Sydney, everything got English names --
even the namesake of Sydney was a no-good minor political hack back in
London.  The minor hills that rate in flat Australia as the Great
Dividing Range are barely 1000 metres high -- call it 3300 feet, but
they were mongrels to get over, or even onto.

Anyhow, the nobs in Sydney dubbed them the Carmarthen Hills, but before
long, sailormen being what they are, they flogged a Jamaican name and
called them the Blue Mountains.  then they made up a bunch of malarkey
about how the oil got out of the gum trees and made a haze that made
them look blue.  In truth, it was just dust, distance and Tyndall
scattering.

200 million years ago, give or take a spit, Sydney was rather like
Bangladesh.  It was all dirty great rivers rolled though a sad and
depauperate sandscape, rinsing out every last skerrick of mineralisation
that might have left a rock that could make nice soil.  It built up to
200 metres thick, and got labelled the Hawkesbury sandstone, after a
river name after another nogoodnik.

Later, there was an uplift to the west, so even though the mountain tops
are 1000 metres higher than the shores of Sydney Harbour, they have the
same rocks.  Rivers flowed down through the sandstone, bits fell away,
and cliffs formed.

Along came Whitey, who settled in this useless place with useless soil.
  The settlers in Sydney were hemmed in, surrounded by almost worthless
land where farming was concerned for 25 years until somebody supposedly
had the bright idea of walking up the ridges to bypass the cliffs.  This
is a load of old cobblers -- the Aborigines knew how to get over and
walked over.  There were tracks, but Whitey was too proud to follow
where blackfella trod.

Aside from that, I sat in the Hunter Valley, about 100 km north of here,
killing a good bottle of red with my brother-in-law a few weeks back,
and we looked at a mountain, part of the same Great Dividing Range, and
traced a path up it from where we sat.  Our selected route (we not being
complete muppets) went up the ridges, nice and easy.  On the ground,
there would be some rough going, but it was a negotiable route.

It was purely an armchair exercise for him -- my hobby is walking up
small mountains slowly, but we could both see that following the ridges
is the way to go, and after another glass or seven, it hit us that the
hero-worship of Blaxland, Wentworth and Lawson, for working out how to
follow the ridges, was a complete joke.  Blind Freddie could've seen it.

My hero is George Evans, a hobbit of a man who pootled over the
mountains in their track, surveyed, marked and mapped it, and enjoyed
himself immensely.

I have just cleared three big jobs off the block, so Chris and I set off
in George Evans' footsteps.  We left home at 6.30 am and got up the
mountains in time for a breakfast of croissants and coffee/tea in Leura,
then hopped into a cable car that lowered us into the valley.

Under the sterile sandstone, there are beds of shale with a better
mineral supply -- and there are also beds of coal, so quite early on,
people began mining the 'kerosene shales' and coal, to make lamp oil,
and other useful stuff.  They support rainforest, and some clever people
have woven a boardwalk down through the rainforest, in among the lawyer
vine and tree ferns, a walk that carries us harmlessly and sensitively
through it all.

Now we drill for oil or import it, so the area lies unused and available
to tourists, but the rainforest that grows there is in an uneasy
balance.  You see, miners needed pit props and fuel and stuff, so they
felled trees, and when they did, the thin topsoil drifted away.  The
trees were deep-rooted, and they came back as coppices, so there is
cover, but there are no new seeds taking root there.  They fall and
wither . . .

The topsoil must be slowly regenerating, so there is a desperate race on
between life and death.  We have to hope that life will win.

West of the mountains, down on the plain, there is a sad wreck of a
place called Lithgow, once a centre of coal mining, but now just a shoal
on which souls may be wrecked.  We drive there for one reason only: to
  One is called Mount Wilson, a mark of invasion, filled with English
and European plants, and now, as September ebbs, the cherry trees that
have run out on the coast, are excellent, 900 metres and more above sea
level.

I will come back to Lithgow some other time.

Then it was on to Mount Tomah, one of the branches of our Botanic
Garden, where the original name has been retained.  Based on an old
English-style garden, with many additions, this is building as a
collection of plants that thrive in cooler climates.  The development
has been going on for about 20 years.

Driving out of Mount Wilson, you come abruptly to the edge of the
volcanic soils and there is a sudden change back from rain forest and
wet sclerophyll to dry sclerophyll and heath (and it may help at this
point to note that Chris and I both trained as botanists -- if you
hadn't sussed that already).

This was our fifth visit, so we were calling on an old friend.  Right
now, the waratahs are out in force -- indeed, an endocrinologist friend
rang us on Sunday to chide us that we were not at "New South Wales
waratah central" with them -- we have a number of things in common with
him and his wife, an abiding hatred of 4-wheel drives in the city and a
love of waratahs among them.

You can pick botanists from a distance.  The ticket lady at Mount Tomah
looked at us, asked had we been there before, we said yes, she said to
look out for the waratahs, so I told her we had spotted one a few
minutes earlier, just outside Mount Wilson.  So then we had to draw her
a map of where to see it -- she has ever yet seen one in the wild.  She
has the makings of a botanist about her.

We pootled around, wandered up and down some of the minor sub-tracklets,
found a 60-year-old Sequoia that is already more than 4 metres across,
visited our favourite living fossil, one of the original Wollemi pines
when they were cultivated from rare wild stock, drank some coffee, ate
some fattening biscuits (90% sucrose, 9% chocolate), laughed with our
friend the waiter, and I discovered that when you have been eating
chili-stuffed olives for lunch (with a crusty baguette, brie and
mandarins), if you haven't washed your hands, you don't itch your eye,
then Chris found a handbag with waratah motifs while I was sluicing my
right eye.

Too expensive, she said.  Fine, I said.  I will buy it for me, and you
can borrow it.  As often as you like, I said, so long as you agree it's
mine.  No, she said, she would buy it for her sister, and if her sister
doesn't like it, she will have it.  Memo to me.  Tell sil that waratahs
were implicated in black magic rituals that involved feeding babies to
dingoes, ad infinitum.

Suffice it to say that cobwebs are dispelled.

   _--|\    Peter Macinnis        petermacinnis at ozemail.com.au
  /     \   Feral word tinker on the right side of Oz at Manly
  \.--._* <-NSW, where they also surf who only stand and wade
       v    http://members.ozemail.com.au/~macinnis/index.htm