TheBanyanTree: Life Stories more

Tobie Shapiro tobie at shpilchas.net
Wed Sep 27 09:09:46 PDT 2006

September 27, 200000006

Dear Cast of Thousands,

	I want you all to know how very upset I am about a little
private matter that is swimming around in my life.  My ex husband
(who is now remarried to an ex friend of mine), has proferred his
list of items he wishes to take from community property.  On this
list he has requested that he take the stash of light bulbs from the
basement, and he has an electric pencil sharpener on his list, plus a
stapler that is sitting on his desk.  I am thrust into mourning for
these very sentimental objects.   And really, can you spell PETTY?
What planet is he living on?  An electric pencil sharpener?!  Light
bulbs?  These are all new light bulbs that I've purchased.  The ones
that were there in the stash before have all been used and blown out
since his departure.  This guy gives me the creeps.  And he's a world
class physicist.  You don't have to be a rocket scientist, do you!

	I have a story to tell you.

::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

Seeing Clearly

	The summer that Dweller and I split up, I found places to
live by housesitting.  At the time I was becoming deeply involved
with Harry Lum, the painting teacher at the University of California
Extention.  See, it was like this.  I convinced my mother that she
needed more things in her life than just my father.  He demanded she
advise him, guide him, dress him, play interference for him.  They
worked all day together at their business, and fought together all
day and all night.  She was supposed to herd him, keep him out of
trouble, translate for him when what came out of his mouth was
insulting or bizarre.  Her whole life was wrapped up in dealing with
Justin.  And I saw my life as needing some direction.  So I pursuaded
her to take a painting class with me.  This was mostly for her
benefit, or so I thought.  We went two evenings a week to Kroeber
Hall at U.C. Berkeley, and were instructed, along with about a dozen
others, by Harry Lum, a diminutive Chinese man who was the smartest
person, certainly the most well read person, and the most cultured
person I'd ever met.  His teaching methods were extraordinary.  He
told us all, "If I walk by your canvasses and they all look alike,
then I know I'm being a bad teacher.  Because what we want to do in
here is bring out that sweet mysterious you."  I loved to hear that.
I fantasized him bringing out that sweet mysterious me.  And it
turned out that not a few of the women in the class had the same
fantasy.  He was bringing out mysteries.

	By the end of the classes, my father had thrown a tantrum
forcing my mother to pack up her paint brushes, and I was getting a
divorce.  Ah, see how perceptive I was about who needed what, and
what whoever it was was going to do about it!  So, seeing what an
artist does and how an artist could live a life, I saw the divergence
in my life, and left Dweller.  It wasn't abrupt.  I spent three weeks
in a melt down stupor, sitting on the stairs in the house we bought,
threading my life through every imaginable needle.  And I kept coming
back to our not being the right people for each other.  So, we took
two weeks off from us, to think, to find our centers, and all that
other language for, "I'm leaving you; you're leaving me."

	I leaned away from Dweller's shoulder and fell onto Harry's
shoulder.  I wanted an artist, someone who understood and respected a
whole life in the arts.  And where would I stay?  Harry was at the
hub of the spokes of a wheel of artists of all kinds.  Suddenly, I
was surrounded by people who found me perfectly reasonable as I was,
not difficult to fathom, or impractical in my choices.  And all these
artists took off during the summer while Tobie house sat.

	I sat house for Mel Ramos.  He's the pop artist who did women
and spark plugs, women emerging from candy wrappers.  He had no
illusions about being a great artist.  He had chanced upon what was
big at the time he was doing it, and he got rich.  So they went off
to Spain where they were renovating an old olive mill.  While they
were gone, I watered their plants, slept in their bed, collected
their mail, watched over their walls and floors lest they wander off.
While I was contemplating my life out of focus in Mel Ramos's house,
my brother came by to visit, and Harry came by to visit, and Yvonne
came by to visit.  It was a summer of philosophy and vision.

	My brother's vision was going off.  For the first time in his
life, he needed glasses.  He brought the new glasses by to fret over
issues of vanity.  How did he look with these glasses? Did he look
older?  Wiser?  Bookish?  Stupid?  Sexy?  Anonymous?

	Yvonne was visiting when Daniel brought his glasses by.
Yvonne grew up in poverty and all  the glasses she'd ever worn were
those that she found in the bin at Saint Vincent du Paul.  She'd just
keep picking them out and trying them on until one of them helped her
vision and that would be the one she'd get.  So Daniel's new classy
glasses were an oddity to her.  She picked up his glasses, put them
on and looked out the window at the trees.

	"Oh my God!" she gasped, "I can see every branch!  I can see
every twig on every branch!  I can see every leaf on every twig!  I
can see the veins in the leaves!  I can see . . ."  She cut herself
off suddenly, ripped the glasses off of her face and said, sagely,
"The question is: does anybody really want to see this clearly?"

--

Tobie Helene Shapiro
Berkeley, California   USA

tobie at shpilchas.net