TheBanyanTree: Space

B Drummond redd_clay at bellsouth.net
Fri Sep 15 20:23:00 PDT 2006

 ::::::::

  --  Report on trip to Northeast --

There's something about the super urban, mega metropolis areas that go against
the grain with me.

In effect, I need space.

If you go to these areas you find, especially in the super crowded northeast
population centers, sprawling townships, boroughs, cities, and developments
that go on for hundreds and hundreds of square miles without end.  You feel
often that you are in a maze of streets, walls, houses, buildings,
warehouses, factories, shops, and people moving about as if they are all late
for the most important appointment in their lives. You or/or your conveyence
will move in a frantic pace or you will be run over.  Period.

You often find the "Thank You for Visiting X Township" sign has "Entering Y
Township" on the other side of the sign.  You come to countless intersections
where the street side says, "A street" on the right, and "B street" on the
left, even though they are the same street, just in different townships and
are named differently.  Well, that is if you are lucky enough to be able to
read the signs, that is.

There is no space in these places.  Everything is a variation of right angles,
nothing is left unaltered from its original form.  It is, in a sense, an
alien form of this world where natural is uncouth & insufficient,  where the
natural is a mutant form and must be stamped out of existence.  I am old
growth smack dab in the middle of a clear cut planted with hybrid species
maximized for fastest extraction of linear board.

Yes, these places are exciting but I can't thrive in such places. I can't feel
comfortable in such places.  In such places, I am not an individual, I am a
thing, a pokey thing of the hated alien form, of unaltered non right angles
and insufficient velocity. In these places,  when the information overload
finally subsides, I find myself dreaming.  And I dream of only one thing.

Space

  bd
    ----