TheBanyanTree: more stories

Tobie Shapiro tobie at shpilchas.net
Wed Sep 13 08:25:28 PDT 2006

September 13, 20000000006

Dear Writers,

	Here.  Have more stories.  True.  All true.  I haven't bent them yet.

                  &&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&

	My father's mother, Lena  -- Alta Lena (Werksman) Shapiro --
came to visit us in Washington, D.C., or more accurately, Silver
Spring, Maryland.  She stayed in the spare bedroom.  I don't remember
what the occasion was for her visit.  After Grampa David's death, she
moved from New Jersey to Portland, Oregon to be with Selma, my aunt
(her daughter, my father's sister).  It may have been from Portland
that she was visiting.  That means I must have been four or five
years old, very young.  But even at that age, I found Grama Lena to
be weird.  She moved slowly and fastidiously, and she wore old
ladies' clothes.  She smiled even when she couldn't have been
pleased, and she was old, so old!  I was afraid of her.  Unlike my
other Grama, Grama Fannie, who was warm and engaging, Lena was
distant and judgmental,  not attached to us in any tangible way.
What frightened me about her was that she seemed about to die.  She
was going to die and fall over on me.  She'd still be wearing that
smile, too.

	One day during Lena's visit, my sister and I heard the
ice-cream truck tinkling by.  The bell like melody was instantly
recognized by every child within a mile.  We knew how long we had to
get out there with our money, and we knew where the truck would stop,
and we knew which ice-cream treats we liked.  We knew it all.  It was
Pavlovian.  We were ready for ice-cream.  Lena was taking care of us
that day, so we ran to her, leapt about her, rushed and anxious that
we get the money in time.  We needed two nickels, one each.  She went
slowly for her purse, and slowly extracted a little change purse from
it, slowly clicked it open and slowly rummaged for two nickels which
she then held above our heads while she instructed us, slowly, in her
careful soporific voice, "Very   well.     You     may     have
two     nickels     for   ice  -  cream      today,     but     you
must     promise     me     that     you     will     not    want
ice  -  cream     tomorrow."  This went right past us.  Just give me
the money and shut up!  The truck will leave.  Promise her anything!
So we promised, and she lowered the nickels into our outstretched
palms.  We shot outside and bought our ice - cream.  The next day was
years later for us.  A whole new universe is born every day when
you're five and seven years old (or four and six).  The ice-cream
truck jingled into earshot again, probably round about the same time,
and we ran like hell to Grama Lena for ice-cream money.  She frowned
and shook her head (slowly).  "But     darlings,"  she said in her
monotone, "you     promised     me     you     wouldn't     want
ice  -  cream     today."  And  she stiffed us.

	Here's the weird part.  It's not weird to limit ice-cream
intake for four and six year olds (or five and seven year olds).  But
it IS weird to make them promise not to WANT ice-cream at a future
time.  We could have understood and dealt with, "Here are two nickels
today, but tomorrow I won't give you money for ice-cream."  But this
twisted command that we swear not to desire something is beyond
weird, it's sick.  It's the same as my father making me promise not
to be scared of the pathology exhibit.  Hmmm.  Wonder where he got
that.

            &&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&

	USHER THE CHILDREN OUT OF THE ROOM NOW.  THIS FOLLOWING STORY
IS X RATED, HAS NASTY WORDS IN IT, AND IS NOT FIT FOR TOT CONSUMPTION.

	When I was married to Bernie, I was subjected to all sorts of
filthy treatment.  In bed, regardless of what I'd asked for, he'd
spit out a gush of ugly angry words.  He'd say things like, "I wanna
come all over your eyes."  or, "Beg for it, bitch!"  "My hot dick is
gonna ram its way into your hot red juicy cunt."  It was more than
disgusting and less than romantic.  In fact, considering my history,
it was the perfect thing to make me ill, to swear off sex forever,
and it certainly poisoned the event.  Yet, I'd go through with it on
my endless voyage to please the man.  Looking back, I don't know how
I tolerated it.

	I tried to convince him that I loathed it, that it was
demeaning and violent, that denigration and violence were anathema to
making love.  But he'd counter with, "It makes it more exciting for
me."  "Sandy taught me how to talk dirty during sex.  Women love it."
I don't remember whether he tried to refute the part about it being
demeaning, but it didn't matter to him.  We'd close our conversation
with an understanding of how I felt about it, and an agreement from
Bernie that he wouldn't force it on me.  Then, the next time we'd
make love, there he would be threatening me with his big hot tool,
referring to  my juicy cunt and describing what he wanted to do to
me.  He wouldn't listen to me.

	But he did listen to me when I talked in my sleep.  I began
to fake talking in my sleep so I could educate him.  Soon, the
character that appeared in my place when I was asleep was, "Cloud".
He listened reverently8 to Cloud.  When we'd get in bed, he'd be
eager to assist me getting off to a good night's sleep and he'd
smooth the path for me, be extra solicitous.  "Get to sleep now.  You
need a good night's rest."  And as soon as my head hit the pillow, I
could hear him waiting in the dark.  After a while, when I'd steadied
and slowed my breathing, maybe mumbled a few words, I'd hear him
calling me.  "Cloud?  Cloud?  Are you there?"  And I'd tell him, yes,
I was there; I'd arrived.  And I'd talk to him about thousands of
years ago when I was a poor nomad girl, part of a tribe who was going
to marry her off to a terrible man.  So I ran away.  I ran away in my
wedding dress, the one with the coins sewn all over it.  While hiding
from my family (I was only an adolescent) I met the spiritual
ancestor of Bernie.  And we sold off the coins on my dress to get by.
I told my new friend about many things.  Among them was not to talk
dirty to the nice young bride.  To be respectful.  And to all of
this, Bernie listened reverently, overwhelmed by the wisdom of Cloud.

	I finally revealed to him that I'd been awake during his
sessions with Cloud.  And here's the surprise: he didn't believe me.
He just couldn't handle it.  So he settled on an explanation that I
put myself in a trance and was channelling my past life as Cloud.  So
the games could go forward.

	Go to sleep now, folks.

	Yours,

	and then some,