TheBanyanTree: Debate

Margaret R. Kramer margaretkramer at comcast.net
Mon Sep 4 07:18:38 PDT 2006

One of the highlights of our Friday’s State Fair visit was seeing the debate
between Amy Klobuchar (Hennepin County Attorney) and Mark Kennedy
(Representative from MN’s 5th District to Congress) and Robert Fitzgerald
(Independence Party candidate).  All three are running for the Senate.
Current Senator Mark Dayton is not running for re-election (thank goodness,
a nice guy, but very “do nothing”), so his seat is up for grabs.

It promises to be a nasty and dirty campaign.  Representative Kennedy
defeated child activist Patty Wetterling (Wetterling is again running for
Congress, this time against conservative GOP State Senator Michelle Bachman)
two years ago in a race he was leading by a wide margin, but still ran ads
accusing her of being a terrorist.

It seems Kennedy is nastier in his ads than in a debate.  Klobuchar zinged
him many times, kind of like the Mondale/Reagan debates with Kennedy as a
low key Mondale and Klobuchar as a relaxed and confident Reagan.

However, Fitzgerald, who is young whippersnapper, did the best.  He actually
answered the questions with no political-speak, and occasionally stepped in
between Kennedy and Klobuchar to cool things off.

The crowd estimate was around 800 people.  It was packed around that little
stage and responded to the debate with catcalls, cheers, and boos.  Yes,
politicians need to have thick skins in order to succeed.  It was a lot of
fun.

Klobuchar was one of the women who participated on my women’s panel a couple
of years ago and in fact, I believe she was one of the first ones to accept
my invitation, so I have good feelings about her.  Also, she was one of the
few women panelists who sent me a thank you note afterwards.

But, boy, that Fitzgerald was sharp, sharp, sharp.  It seems some of the
third party and other minor party candidates can be more qualified to run
for office than the DFL or GOP offerings, but they don’t get the exposure
because the media is set up to showcase the two major parties, and they don’
t get the money either.  I believe that all candidates for an office should
be allowed to debate and not just the two party stars.  Our State Auditor (a
state constitutional office) is an Independence Party member and that is why
the Independence Party is automatically included in debates and other public
functions.

The Independence Party is an offshoot from Ross Perot’s attempt to form a
third major party.  It thrived here in Minnesota, especially when Jesse
Ventura won the governorship.  The party isn’t as influential now, but is
still included because of Auditor Patricia Anderson’s membership.

The rest of our fair day was a blur of pronto pups, foot long hot dogs, and
cheese curds.

Margaret R. Kramer
margaretkramer at comcast.net

I am learning all the time.  The tombstone will be my diploma.
~Eartha Kitt